Need help mix and playing etc

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vejichan, Sep 15, 2020 at 11:42 PM.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not bad, honestly. Balance sounds right to me, I think the mix is just very dry. The guitars and vocals need something to make them feel like they exist in a space. It doesn't have to be over-the-top, but a bit of playing around with reverbs and delays could improve things quite a bit I think.

The vocals in particular I think would benefit from trying to get more creative with the processing - which includes the verb/delay comment - but also (and I hate phrasing it this way) something to make them "pop" more. Right now the vocals stand out (not in a good sense) because they're dry and upfront. It sounds like your ear is the mic, so to speak. You could try things like a really quick slapback delay. Or, sometimes I'll create a duplicate of the vocal track, distort it a bit, make it kinda fuzzy, then blend it back in on top of the original track juuuuuust enough to give the track some hair but be mostly hidden unless you're actively listening for it. Try a chorus. Try all kinds of things until you like what you hear. Playing around with those kinds of effects will take you away from the "literally just a mic in front of a guys face is all you get" dry sound.

3. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Honestly I find the bass is too much this time. I don't remember having any problem with the bass in the last version.
    I would recommend keeping the previous version(s) up as well, since I don't really remember and don't have much to compare with. I remember the previous one leaving me with a feeling of being well balanced, but just dry. This one doesn't strike me as being balanced.
    The vocals sound..... louder?

5. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular