Need help Identifying Bareknuckle pickup

wildchild

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello

I need help identifying this bareknuckle pickup. I talked to Bareknuckle sales and they seem as confused as I am.

Originally I bought the nailbomb pickup in 2008 and only recently it was pointed out to me that my pickup looks like a warpig as it has the double screw in pole pieces and square tabs.
I opened up the pick up and found the bareknucle logo but nothing to ID the pickup.

Here's a video I made to show the pickup.
Please help
Thanks

Excruciator

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Assuming you bought it second hand, it could quite easily be a Nailbomb which was ordered as double screw back pre-2008. Square tabs were also still standard on the 7 string offerings back then, I have a mid/late 2000's Painkiller 7 with square tabs. It would have been around 2009 when they swapped over to Ibanez style tabs as standard on 7 string pickups.

It wasn't all that unusual for people to ask for double screw on pickups which weren't typically configured that way, I got a custom wound hsp90 in '09 so they were definitely still doing it back then. It's possible one could still request it, although I think it was around 2010 they got overwhelmed with wacky custom requests and had to start being firmer about adhering more rigidly to the standard specs.

If you can't check the resistance, check the magnet thickness: Warpigs should have an extra thick alnico magnet if memory serves, but that's hearsay so don't take it as gospel.

wildchild

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks guys
I was looking online is there any easy way of reading the DC resistance without desoldering the pickup?
And I bought it brand new from a distributor in the US when I was living there. They wouldn't have messed up my order? would they?

Excruciator

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks guys
I was looking online is there any easy way of reading the DC resistance without desoldering the pickup?
And I bought it brand new from a distributor in the US when I was living there. They wouldn't have messed up my order? would they?

You can touch the probes to the relevant wires without desoldering and still get a somewhat accurate reading (accurate enough to decide whether it's a c-bomb or a warpig at least).

As far as the pickup, I'd assumed you must have bought it second hand, but it's unusual to say that least that you received a dual screw configuration without explicitly asking for it. In this context, it's possible you were sent the wrong pickup, and from what I recall only the Warpig was dual screw by default back then.

So, possibilities: You were sent the wrong pickup, presumably a Warpig, or less likely some other custom ordered dual screw pickup; or, you were sent an in stock custom ordered dual screw Nailbomb, which had perhaps been ordered that way by the reseller because it was the trendy thing to do back then; or, it was a return which was passed on to you, intentionally or otherwise. The only way to get a better idea will be to take a resistance reading and see.

p.s. While I think on it, around that time a "brand new" pickup should have come with a warranty card with the pickup's name and resistance reading written on there, plus a set of godawful Rotosound 10's inside the package. Those cards were filled in as part of the final integrity check on each pickup before they were shipped out, making the info on them reliably accurate. Since you still have the original box, if you didn't have those in there then I'd be suspicious it was not a brand new pickup at all.

wildchild

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks I will try and get the multimeter out and try getting a DC resistance reading. This should have the answer to my dilemma.

For the pickup I ordered it stock from a reputable US distributor. I remember it taking a while and there were delays. I wonder if it was a pickup that somebody ordered and didn't want.

And yes I got the awful rotosound 10s with a bareknuckle pickup but no warranty card.

I agree I'll get the dc resistance reading and let you know.
Thanks for all the info.

wildchild

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think we have an answer to my question, it's not the exact number but it is close enough

Excruciator

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yep, definitely not a Warpig, so pretty safe to assume it's just a Nailbomb with dual screws, although I would have expected a higher reading since it went through all the guitars electronics. The lack of warranty card makes me suspicious, but as long as you're happy with how it sounds and feels, that's all that matters, especially since it's over a decade later.

BabUShka

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does it sound super tight, with a lot of highs, have some icy pick sound with a lot of gain and a lot of 80s vibe?

My Nailbomb sounds like an improved version of Duncan Distortion, just tighter, meaner and more fun.

wildchild

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
<QUOTE>Does it sound super tight, with a lot of highs, have some icy pick sound with a lot of gain and a lot of 80s vibe?

My Nailbomb sounds like an improved version of Duncan Distortion, just tighter, meaner and more fun.
</QUOTE>

yes it does sound sound super tight with lots of highs and a very responsive bass.
I like the pickup and was just thrown off when my friend said it was a warpig.

Last edited:

wildchild

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yep, definitely not a Warpig, so pretty safe to assume it's just a Nailbomb with dual screws, although I would have expected a higher reading since it went through all the guitars electronics. The lack of warranty card makes me suspicious, but as long as you're happy with how it sounds and feels, that's all that matters, especially since it's over a decade later.
Yes I have another thead asking to upgrade another one of my guitars
I leaning towards just getting another nailbomb
Are the newer pickups easier to ID? or is it the same scenario as this?

Excruciator

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes I have another thead asking to upgrade another one of my guitars
I leaning towards just getting another nailbomb
Are the newer pickups easier to ID? or is it the same scenario as this?
In some ways it's better, as BKP clamped down and standardised the range more. There's no labelling on the underside of the pickup though or anything along those lines, although I believe the Polymath is an exception and has the name engraved there. The box it arrives in now has all of your chosen specs denoted with tickboxes - model, position, bobbin colours, cover type and finish, and so on. If it really irked you, they'd probably engrave the model name on the baseplate if requested, although no doubt you'd have to pay for it.

As far as what's worse, they no longer provide a card with the resistance reading on it, which is a step backward in my opinion, but I suspect it's because a lot of customers check the resistance reading themselves in, say, the middle of Death Valley or the Antarctic and then email or call to complain that their reading doesn't align.

I'd assume you are buying direct this time, which should vastly reduce any potential for a similar occurence, although even if you bought from a reseller I'd be very surprised if anything like a random dual screw coil happened again. Second hand, of course, is always a total crapshoot for a multitude of both innocent and not so innocent reasons, but that is the case with every such transaction unfortunately.