Need help deciding between three Seven strings to buy

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Conorr, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Conorr

Conorr SS.org Regular

Hi all

created an account because I am purely stuck on which guitar to get. I already own an Agile interceptor 727 with passive Cepheus pickups but im looking to go active as all my 6 strings are active with emg's

I am left handed so naturally less choice but i'm stuck between these three

ESP LTD EC-407 Satin Black https://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_ec_407_black_satin_left.htm

I already own the 6 string variant of this guitar:
    Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27FEL (it says out of stock but I can special order it in) http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/left_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14031213512632

or keeping with agile:

Agile Interceptor 727 EB EMG Oceanburst flame
    http://www.rondomusic.com/septorelt727ebemgobleft.html

if anyone owns any of these or has had any of these let me know your experiences and which you would recommend!

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I'm always an agile fan, but the esp comes with an emg 81 and 707, rather than two 707s. Swapping them around so the 81 is in the neck and the 707 is in the bridge would be pretty sweet. 81 in the neck isn't the usual configuration but I love it, as do many others.

That said, pickups are easy to change - especially EMGs, so which guitar looks and plays the best should be the main concern. It might be nice to go with a shorter scale than 27 (avoiding the agile) since you already have one of those, but maybe not. That's up to you.

The other option would be to just put EMGs in your current 7. Emg makes 7 string actives in the traditional humbucker shape. Put an 85-7 in the bridge and an 81-7 in the neck and you're golden.

3. oceanrose

oceanrose Pete

Personally i'd go with the Ibanez. Looks mean and lean!

4. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

My first thought exactly! While I see that EMGs give you a "good" :D reason to buy a new guitar, you don't have to. In such case, and based on my experience with their 6-string counterparts, I suggest 85-7 or 57-7 bridge, and either 66-7 or 60-7x in neck. I have both 85/66 and 85x/60x and both sound killer!

If you have to, I'd get either LTD or Ibanez. LTD might be a little heavier (if it's mahogany) and might have a slight neck-dive + you have to mute strings behind saddles. For the Ibanez, you may not like the feel of the Gibraltar bridge, but there's a Hipshot replacement now: https://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=412

EDIT: How did I forget? Did you get a chance to try the Fishman Fluence Modern pickups? If not, please do so before getting the EMGs. I currently have them in my Schecter C-7 and they sound unbelievable.

5. Jeffbro

Jeffbro Banned

We all love guitars that sound like mush now?

85 barely passes for a bridge pickup in a 6. In a 7 707s sound mediocre and muddy at best, 85-7 at bridge would sound even worse.

6. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Jeffbro, perhaps you do not know how to EQ and play with active pickups like some people do. Chances are that the OP's equipment is set up for active pickups, considering that he stated that his other guitars are also active.
    ------------------
    Back on topic:

Between LTD, Agile, and Ibanez, I would have to vote for the Ibanez. LTD guitars generally look nice, but the fret work is variable. I have little experience with Agile. Ibanez does have some variance in finishing touches on the Iron Label and Premium series, but they are solid instruments overall IMO.

7. HaloHat

HaloHat 7 string Baritones

Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
    Based on the three examples you gave I'd go with the Agile. I say that because it checks the boxes I like best, which may not be the same for you.

Agile
    27" scale
    Ebony board with side markes only
    Made in S. Korea
    Priced low enough you could put ANY pickups you want in it and sell the stock EMG's perhaps?

The Fishman Fluence do sound interesting. Just changing out the pickups in the Agile you already have sounds like maybe a decent idea?

If you don't down tune, then my second choice would be the ESP you linked to in your OP. [fwiw i love Ibanez and ESP]

Personally, going from 25.5 to 27 back to back messes with my muscle memory a bit. I prefer the 27" scale anyways ha.

8. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

I like the ESP.

I think any are a solid choice though.

The Agile sticks out because of the scale length. If you enjoyed your 27 then go for it again, maybe if you already have one try the 25.5.

9. Jeffbro

Jeffbro Banned

You're missing the point. Regardless of his eq, recommending him to put an 85-7 or 707 in the bridge over 81-7 is bad advice. They sound like straight mud.

10. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Fair enough, I do very strongly prefer the 81 over the 707 or 85. The only reason I would ever realistically use the 707 or 85 would be if I were covering some very specific songs that originally used those. Even in those cases, the 81x or Fluence would sound better to my ears.

11. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

Not everyone plays with a ton of gain, let alone how you equalize, and if it is clarity and note separation is all you want, go ahead, the 81 is your friend. But I wouldn't touch any 81 with a 10 ft pole. To each his/her own, ymmv etc.

Just saying is a non-option is a bit extreme imho, much like the Duncan JBs, the 707 & 85 have been used by an army of legendary players, so ymmv :D.

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I have experience with all these

I have an ltd 400 series viper, and it is a primo instrument. I couldn't tell you the difference in finish quality between it and a 1000 series, except for that it doesn't have the gaudy MOP binding. I am not crazy about the EMG81, but I think that's only because I've played SD blackouts and I think they are worlds better.

I also had an Agile, and it was pretty amazing quality for the price. Also, despite what people tell you about their value, I was able to resell it nearly 2 years later for only 20$ less than I bought it for. There was humming when the switch was in the neck position, and I never found out why.

I also had an Ibanez RGIR20FE, which is an Iron Label. The frets were sharp on both sides from top to bottom. The pickup wasn't level, which didn't affect the sound, but it looked f///ing stupid. The feeling to touch the back of the neck was not even marginally similar to the feel of the prestige Ibanez I had owned previously.

I vote LTD or Agile over Ibanez in this scenario.

13. Sir Ibanez

Sir Ibanez SS.org Regular

+1 :agreed:

14. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

If you like your Iron Label a lot, I'd go with the Ibanez. I, for one, will probably never own to guitars that are the same, but I just love feeling varied and I love all different kinds of guitars, so if it were me I'd go with the ESP. BUT, whenever I pick up an ESP, I will 9 out of 10 times not like it. That has nothing to do with quality, but just I never seem to get along with them. So if you can, go try some ESP's. Even if they are right handed, idk, just see if you like their weight, their neck shapes, all that.