Need help choosing an amp for Lamb of God style tone 1k budget

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Used Mesa DC-3/DC-5/DC-10 or F-30/F-50/F-100 plus a good boost (Ibanez TS7, TS9, or MXR Wylde Overdrive).

Chrisesp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To be honest guys, i have enough saved up for a Mark IV or V but i just wasnt keen on the idea of spending all that money, but iv come to realise that its the amp to get if i want LOGs tone, plus im hoping i wont need to upgrade for a very long time!

Its quite hard finding Mark IV heads here for sale in UK, the Mark V i can get hold of alot easier. About £1200 for a head if that sounds like a good price? (for the Mark V)

Would you guys definately recommend these amps then, as its going to cost me quite a bit a large amount of money so im hoping they are all their cracked up to be!

pathos45

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yeah here in canada its 2199 so your paying a bit more i think probally for shipping and customs but the mark v can do WAY more than metal, plus you can rock it down on 10 watts for bedroom playing if you need it

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
To be honest guys, i have enough saved up for a Mark IV or V but i just wasnt keen on the idea of spending all that money, but iv come to realise that its the amp to get if i want LOGs tone, plus im hoping i wont need to upgrade for a very long time!

Its quite hard finding Mark IV heads here for sale in UK, the Mark V i can get hold of alot easier. About £1200 for a head if that sounds like a good price? (for the Mark V)

Would you guys definately recommend these amps then, as its going to cost me quite a bit a large amount of money so im hoping they are all their cracked up to be!

The Mark V is one of the only amps I can think of that can truly do anything. Personally I never cared for the clean on the Mark IV and the Mark IV mode on the V is virtually indistinguishable from an actual Mark IV. The only improvement they could make to it IMO is to have the Mark II and IV modes on separate channels.

dsquared

Reaction score
I have a III and a IV. The III is awesome and if I had to get rid of one I'd sell the IV, but I have no doubt that the IV will do the LoG tone better. I haven't played a V, but if it can nail the IV then that would be perfect as well.

pathos45

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you do end up going Mark I think the new ones have the independent EQ which is godsent.

its semi independant, if your using the geq it will be that for every channel. It does have "preset depth" which is jsut teh classic v eq but it changes how intense the v really is, so if its low your gonna be gettin a farily flat eq if its cranked your gonna get all bass and treb no mids.

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
if you can scoop up a blackstar ht100 head used, that'll get you pretty close to a LOG tone.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
I would ideally like a head-Cab instead of a combo so i can get a cab with a good set of speakers in like v30s. Regardless of the power of the amps, iv been looking at these. Blackstar ht-5, Blackstar ht-100, peavey 5150, bugera 6262, bugera 333xl, engl fireball, engl screamer, h&k trilogy.

Which, if any of these amps would you think i could get closest to LOGs tone, with the correct eq-ing of course.

Oh and im from UK by the way, so i can get blackstars cheap.

Let me know your suggestions.

Thanks
Chris
I can't speak for Mark but Will has told me his expressed hatred for the 5150 so I'd say that would be the absolute last amp you're wanna get next to a Framus which he disliked even more.....
They use Mark IV/Mark V's so you're going to need something along those lines which like everybody said nothing really sounds like the Mark IV.... though since you like Blackstar and say you can get them cheap maybe a 104-6L6 but I doubt they're THAT cheap.
Pair that with a Vintage 30 loaded cab and you're good to go.

xeonblade

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
2vadphs.png

Save up for Mark V and run it in 10W mode if it's too loud for you.

ozzman619

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I personally own a Blackstar HT-100 and it's very versatile with tone control. It's also quite inexpensive!

what kind of tones can you get out of it, i heard it has really good cleans but there are not meny reviews on its distortion

Angus Clark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree with whoever said the HT series is characteristically reminiscent of the Mark series. It's got a certain dryness to it. And being from the UK myself, I know how well of we are (or how badly off US folks are) with Blackstar prices

Crank

Mike / Made Of Hate
Reaction score
I have a nice Mark IV patch on my Axe-Fx. I think you'll be able to get it on Axe-Fx Standard since that preamp is cheaper. I would save up some cash and go for it (yet you would also need a power amp of some sort which generates more cash) or save up for used Mark IV or III. I sold my Mesa Mark III for 500 pounds. I easily could get Morton/Adler sound.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
Mesa's gonna be the only thing to truly give you the LoG tone. :2c:

However, I suggest the HT-5 with a boost- the thing will give you a massive dicking. (in a good way). :yesway:

Latest posts