Need help/advice abt an oscillation problem w/ an Evertune guitar and heavy gauge strings

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by E-splat, Oct 4, 2019.

1. E-splat

E-splat New Member

I have an oscillation problem with my LTD MH-1000 w/ Evertune when using a low E string that is .059 or .060 gauge (D'Addario ATM). I tried going back downward to a .056 and the problem may be less pronounced there. Yet anything lower than .059 gauge does not work for me; I am tuned to D standard.

Immediately after striking the E string (on any fret), the note is moving back and forth in an unusual way, an over-pronounced oscillation that kills my single notes and power chords. I've tried several strings and I've lowered the pickups into the body to no avail. This guitar did not exhibit this problem when using it at E standard tuning with a set of D'Addario 10-46; rather the guitar was superb in E standard, probably the best guitar I've ever owned until tuning it to D standard with heavier strings.

Has anyone experienced this kind of oscillation problem, probably with heavier string(s) (heavier E string anyway) and perhaps using the Evertune bridge (6-string)?
    With a non-Evertune guitar and heavier strings? Any insight/advice? Heavy core strings? Find another guitar? Replace Evertune parts? Other?

2. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

It's a balance of spring tension in the Evertune vs string tension (tuning & gauge). If you go too heavy in a higher tuning, you will overpower the Evertune spring tension and the saddle will vibrate against the back stop. Solutions are either lower string gauge, lower tuning or replacement spring with more tension.

3. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

Yes but he is not exceeding the parameters of a standard Evertune saddle. See here: https://www.evertune.com/resources/string_tension_gauge_calculator.php

This is a weird sounding problem. When I have tried to push the limits of tension (ie approaching 28lbs of tension) with my Evertune, the only symptom is that the Evertune springs can't pull hard enough to tune the string to pitch. No oscillation problems though. OP are you saying that when you hit the string while using a tuner, the pitch oscillates sharp to flat? Enough so that it is clearly audible as well?

4. E-splat

E-splat New Member

It IS clearly audible, but a typical tuner is not registering a wide enough oscillation to take it to the next sharp or down one half-step; it looks stable, but sounds very wrong.

I am waiting to hear from Evertune on the problem. Honestly, it's the kind of thing I should expect: a weird problem no one has encountered, except some tech, somewhere. It might be an issue of a resonant frequency being struck with the string gauge against the ET bridge. In that case, FML, I'm probably selling the guitar because I don't use E standard much at all. Wait and see.

5. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

Hi Guys. Just a quick note we will not provide technical support on forums or via direct messages as it can get messy keeping tabs on everything outside of our own ticket system. Having that said we are in contact with the customer already, it could possibly be a damaged part that might need to be replaced.

Best regards,
    Herbert

6. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Whip out your cellphone and download a free app

Your tuner wants to go back home, to the 80s