Need advice on string gauges for this wack shituation I'm in.

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by TheLowNoteGuy, May 9, 2019.

1. TheLowNoteGuy

TheLowNoteGuy SS.org Regular

So i have a dingwall ng-3 5s and Need to be able to tune as low as drop F# but also be able to tune as high as A standard. looking for a happy middle ground with a 4th string thick enough to handle drop B on the top 4 strings. Yes I need another bass, no I cant afford one right now. Any advice?

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

A D G C F
    F# C#/B F# B E

So those are your tunings?
    I would suggest you set up for GCGCF using 125 80 60 45 for the top 4. It makes a great drop C set so will work on the longer scale for drop B too. Up in D on the bottom string will be tight but not absurd. 170 on the bottom will work for a light tension F# and an A similar to the 125 D.

All the tensions explored in this set/tunings, given how unbalanced stock sets are, are within the range of a regular 5 string set in B (35-50lbs)

MerlinTKD likes this.
  3. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

I really hope for your sake you don't have to switch back and forth between these tunings in a live set. That doesn't sound fun. :lol:

I can't improve on Winspear's advice but I will say that in my experience Dingwall makes a sturdy neck so your bass should be OK with some extra tension. That doesn't mean you'll get optimal neck relief in both tunings, though.

Good luck!

P.S. Are you using these tunings more or less equally or is one favored?

4. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

A D G C F
    F# B F# B E
    F# C# F# B E

Due to the 36.25" scale of the B-D i recommend roughly .115 or .120.
    A .125 D on 36.25" will be very tight (> 50lbs, but not dangerously tight).
    For the F#-A on 37" i recommend roughly .160, any larger and it will go over 50lbs tension at A.
    My suggestions try to keep tensions in the 30-50lbs range, i used the Kalium tension calculator.

5. TheLowNoteGuy

TheLowNoteGuy SS.org Regular

Thank God no I don't have to switch them during sets as it's for different bands.