Need advice on fixing the uneven fret

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by gogolXmogol, Jan 26, 2015.

1. gogolXmogol

gogolXmogol SS.org Regular

Hi guys!
    I have a small issue with one of my guitars, it's a 22 fret superstrat with SS frets (12" radius). The 22nd fret is bit higher then the 21, 20, etc. under the 1 and 6 strings. So basically both fret edges are a little off the FB. Is there an easy way to fix this? I live in a small city and there is no luthiers around.
    It only bothers me when I play on the 21st fret, the string buzz is so terrible that I even can not pick the note most of the time.

Thanks!

2. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

Is the fret seated properly or is there a gap under it where it is high?

3. gogolXmogol

I can not see a gap really, but putting a steel ruler on top of the 21 and frets below, then moving it towards 22nd makes it stop once the ruler hits a fret. If I raise it a tiny bit though - it can go over 22nd too. I will make some pics later.
    Could it be a bad fretwork or just a humidity change (because it's a last fret)?

4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Who built the guitar? SS frets aren't common and are a newer thing, so I'm wondering it there'd be a warranty or similar support.

5. gogolXmogol

One of my Carvin, no warranty though since I've asked a person to order it for me in the US.

6. pwsusi

pwsusi SS.org Regular

7. gogolXmogol

Thank you! The video shows how to level an uneven fret, just what I need! So just to be sure, you want to say that it is better to file a fret a little bit, instead of just trying to push it deeper to the fb from both ends. Sorry for the silly question :) Never had this situation before

8. gogolXmogol

Here are the photos of the fret

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gogolXmogol

Maybe there is an easy way to push the fret back to the fretboard from both sides?

10. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

Yeah, that fret isn't seated properly. I'm not sure what the best way to do that with improvised tools would be.

11. gogolXmogol

any ideas, guys? appreciate your help :)

12. sehnomatic

sehnomatic SS.org Regular

Remove the neck, if you have a rubber face clamp like this, test if it can squeeze the gap shut. If so, mask the fretboard off with tape and use medium/thin CA/super glue.

If the clamp doesn't have enough to grip onto, due to the fretboard overhang, I'd get a block to fit underneath.

A g clamp may work if you have some leather or foam to cushion the neck and fret.

13. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

its likely that the fret is glued in and therefore "stuck" in the incorrect position. also, they have filled the slot under the fret tang... the correct fix is to pull the fret, re-saw the slot and refret with a new piece of identical fretwire. call carivin and ask them what size/brand/etc of wire they used on this guitar. they will likely have no issues telling you and may even send you a new piece of wire. then bring the guitar to a luthier and have them refret that single fret. shouldnt be too expensive...

14. gogolXmogol

Thanks guys! I know the specs of the fretwire, since I ordered this guitar, I doubt Carvin will ship me a piece of fret overseas though. Unfortunately I don't have the tools to clamp the fret properly and looks like the most rational solution is to remove the fret and refret it properly. Which can't be done in the place where I live right now :) So I will just live with it for now.
    Thanks again for your advices!

15. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

All you need is end cutting pliers to pull the fret out, a thin kerf saw to clean out the slot, and a rubber mallet(and maybe some ca or epoxy)to re-seat it. This is much easier than filing...and if you live where you can get files you should be able to get those tools I listed.

However, you are lucky that it is the last fret. You could file it down lower than the next one, polish it up, and it will play fine. The problem with this is that the fret is probably not stable and will likely pop out more in time.

16. gogolXmogol

Ya, I think I could find these tools. Do you mean the fret itself is not stable or the fretboard and the guitar condition itself will not allow last fret to stay in place?