Need advice on cleaning frets up.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Dumple Stilzkin, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

I’m trying to figure out what would work better for cleaning my dirty frets on my old Ibanez rg7620. I saw Stew Macs fret erasers, I’m getting tired of using steel wool here! I also have heard Gorgomyte is good? Opinions? Do you really need a 7 piece set if I’m not a luthier, just looking to get my guitars playing tip top. Thanks!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Grab the Gorgomyte. It's probably the best product to start out with.

All it is, is oil infused micromesh. Which is all you really need to freshen up some frets.

Just remember to clean the board up and condition it too.

3. Dumple Stilzkin

Am I mistaken thinking the fret erasers can take some of the chew marks my strings have taken off the frets?

4. MaxOfMetal

They'll definitely get the job done, especially if you have some deeper gouges.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I know you're tired of steel wool, but if you combine it with Gerlitz Guitar Honey it works really well. Condition your fret board a couple times with it, then put it on again and use the 0000 wool up and down in circular patterns and it comes out really shiny and smooth. It's messy but if you tape a garbage bag around the headstock and body and painters tape the back of neck then clean up is easy. Put a magnet in a plastic bag and attract all the shavings from the wool too and just turn the bag inside out and throw it away and your magnet is still clean too!
    - Another method I just tried recently was using the Brown buffing compound and a Dremel with a polishing wheel attachement. I got the idea from a YouTube video and the parts from Harbor Freight for about $9. It works and makes them shiny, smooth and mirror like well enough, but didn't impress me much more than the steel wool and Guitar Honey did and since I still gotta use the guitar honey to condition the freboard anyways I'll probably just keep using my old method, plus those little buffing wheels are like a one time use 5 pack for $4 and you will use them all to polish and remove it too. You need a couple to apply all the polish and few without polish to remove it and mirror it up right. The realy difference is the fret will get more of a mirror shine to it compared to steel wool and Guitar Honey method, but the frets are not really any smoother or anything both produce really smooth and slick frets about the same.

6. Dumple Stilzkin

Thank you.

Thanks!!

c7spheres likes this.
  7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I use the Stew Mac fret erasers to get noticeable scratches out of frets, then I polish with 0000 steel wool using either painter's tape or a Stew Mac fret guard to keep from scuffing the fretboard itself. I'll also cover up the neck pickup and the small area on the body around the end of the neck to prevent the wool shavings from damaging anything.

Probably not the most efficient method, but I'm used to the workflow and it's really inexpensive. A bag of steel wool and roll of painter's tape costs around $10 and they've lasted me for years :2c:

wakjob likes this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

Ditch #0000 steel wool, it's messy and not reusable.

A sheet of 2400 micromesh is ~$8 and can be used over and over again and has zero cleanup other than the dust.

It's the same grit size.

wakjob, budda, AkiraSpectrum and 2 others like this.
  9. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

TheWarAgainstTime and budda like this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

You don't even have to worry about masking/guarding the fretboard if you're working by hand.

That's meant for actual fretwork with files and such.

The worst you can do with a little micromesh, or even something like those erasers, can be undone with a slightly higher grit or a buffing pad.

11. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

Get a set Micro Mesh polishing pads. It's hands down the absolute best product out there for frets. Nothing else comes close.

[​IMG]

c7spheres likes this.
  12. MaxOfMetal

To get mild grooves out, use 1500 to 2400 in regular mesh, or 240MX to 360MX if you get the harder stuff.

To polish to a mirror shine, 4000 or 600MX and up.

AkiraSpectrum and c7spheres like this.