Need advice/help on my song..

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vejichan, Oct 31, 2019.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

i need your help with my music. Working on something .. have been busy with work but jamming came up with something extremely basic in 20min.

Need help with
    - the overall mix,
    -guitar, sound
    -drum sound
    -bass tone and etc..
    - song writing

https://soundcloud.com/davidcho-1/believe

I am a beginner at all thjs.need help to improve this song...thanks

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

What are your objectives here? Is this going to be an instrumental? A vocal tune? Are you hoping to release something? Have a demo to attract bandmates? Just record for the fun of it?

Can't give you very detailed feedback on this since I'm at work with one earbud, but everything is basically fine. Drums sound like a preset and a stock loop with minimal processing and a lot of room sound, guitar sound is generic but essentially fine, some slight timing hesitations here and there but nothing awful, I was having trouble hearing the bass but that's probably my earbuds...

I'd say my biggest critique is this sounds more like an idea for a song than it does a song - you start out with a cool riff, play it a couple times then play another cool related riff, play it a couple times and then play another riff, etc. Figuring out how the song is supposed to fit together - if there are vocals, where they go and what the verse/chorus/bridge/prechorus/whatever parts of the songs are going to be, and then build an arrangement around that - is going to matter way more than the mix, imo.

Honestly, it's a hard thing to say on a recording sub-forum... But the quality of the recording, beyond a certain point, is going to matter a lot less than the quality of the song being recorded. This sounds like a demo of a couple ideas that could make the basis of a pretty cool tune, but figuring out how to take these pieces, and assembling them into something that really grabs the listener, is going to be the important part here.

As it stands, if you just want to bang out a couple riffs and send them to a vocalist to write a song around, then this is a perfect demo for that purpose. If you want this to be a standalone song, though, then I'd recommend thinking about song structure, getting a verse/prechorus/chorus thing going, and come up with some sort of melody to add in as well, either a guitar melody if this is going to be an instrumental, or a vocal melody and words if it's a vocal tune.

3. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Thanks for the FB Drew. My main objective is to build a template for future projects so I dont have to always mess with eqs and settings and just make minor adjustments here and there. It's a song in progress...I played and recorded everything in 30min just for testing purposes. I have 0 talent and skill ..i basically cant play guitar at all but try and would love at least to learn more about songwriting.

Hows this song?
    https://soundcloud.com/davidcho-1/december-sketch-rd9

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Forget the template, the template is just a means to an end. I'm not a fan of templates anyway but that's neither here nor there.

What are you hoping to use the template to create? I think answering that is important before anyone can give you meaningful feedback.

5. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

A template where I can just open it..hit record and make minor tweaks and there. I wished I had this tech when I was younger and had more time...I barely have time to play with my busy schedule. I can of course mix and tweak on my commute to work..playing ..well ..most of the recording I do is 20min 1take..because that's all the time I have to play guitar. Thanks for the kind advice..please let me know if you assist in building that template for future projects

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm philosophically opposed to templates, my "template" is a Reaper project with Superior 3 pre-routed to separate tracks and a MIDI file with a note name file already imported, but no other tracks or plugins, just so I don't have to re-map Superior into individual external tracks in Reaper and re-label note names every time I start a new project. Everything else I add as I need, only IF I need it. I'm not the guy to ask for help on templates. :lol:

But, why do you want a template? What are you trying to record? Are you trying to write and release an album of instrumental music? Vocal music? Are you trying to do scratch demos to share with bandmates to facilitate the collaboration process? Like, what's the goal you have, for making recordings?

7. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

It's just a hobby...been playing covers all my life..started making up stuff just for fun. I have no skill or talent so not planning any albums etc. Just to capture ideas here and there and trying to make good recordings. If you can help and give small tips and ideas to improve the sound and mix
    Thanks for your help. Can we start off here..

How can I improve the mix and sound of the following instrument on that song?

Please take a listen again.

https://soundcloud.com/davidcho-1/believe

Based on this mix currently, what do you suggest.

Guitars

- raise or lower volume?

- more or less bass, mids and treble

- where should I hp or lp

- which frequency should I cut or boost

Bass guitar

raise or lower volume?

Drums

raise or lower volume?

Any other suggestions is appreciated thanks

8. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

i took your advice and suggestions. Made a few changes. HOw's the mix now? is the drums or bass or guitars too loud? What else can be done to improve the sound and mix? any suggestions/advice is appreciated. Thanks https://soundcloud.com/davidcho-1/believe-01

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This is obviously not the case, since you wrote and performed a couple pretty cool riffs here, which takes skill AND talent.

But, if this is just a hobby you're doing for fun, then I'd say don't worry so much about outside validation, and just have fun with it. This is a totally fine, and if it's only for your ears, then if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. And if you're not happy with it, then the single best thing you can do is figure out WHY you're not happy with it, and fix that, since no one else can hear exactly what the shortcomings you're picking up on are.

10. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Thanks Drew. True but I do have an interest in improving the mix and sound. Can you give me your thoughts on the current mix

11. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Irregular

I'm a fellow novice, but as far as just the mix goes I would say the bass is a little quiet and the drums are a little hollow and have a bit too much room sound. I hope that is helpful to you.

12. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

13. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

I made some more changes. And did some arrangements. Need further advice on
    1) overall mix, any instrument i need to turn down or up?
    2) sound of each instrument.. any thing i should cut or boost?
    3) anything missing in the arrangements or suggestions?
    https://soundcloud.com/davidcho-1/believe-me

14. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular