Need a neck single coil with more output

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Chewy5150, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Chewy5150

Chewy5150 SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a new single coil neck pickup for my guitar.

I play death metal mainly with this guitar, its an Ibanez Xiphos 27 fret tuned down to drop A# with 13-65 gauge strings. In the bridge I have a Bare Knuckle Aftermath. My rig is a Mesa Dual Rec boosted with a modded TS-9 with other various pedals and 2 2x12 custom cabs.

What I'm looking for is a hum cancelling single coil with enough output for sustain and punchier notes for fluid leads/solos.

I have in there now a Seymour YJM neck pickup but its not giving me the output I want and its giving me some honky lows that I disliked. Previously I used a BK Trilogy Suite and a Dimarzio Air Norton S. Both weren't what I was seeking.

I've taken notice to a few Dimarzios like the Chopper and Fast Track 1 but don't wanna be disappointed in another lack of output pickup. I've also thought about maybe a bridge verison single coil but that worries me it may be too bulky in the lows.

What would you suggest for my picky pickup issue? :lol:

2. Veritech Zero

Veritech Zero Jeffy Turbo

Hm... Your best bet may be a SD Blackout single coil, or possibly the hot rails. I find that blackouts are a little higher output overall though if you aren't opposed to using actives. I don't have a whole lot of experience with Dimarzios unfortunately, though I do have one guitar with a dimarzio chopper in the neck, and I would put the output close to an EMG SA, and slightly above the YJM set. But I feel that it doesn't retain all the awesome single coil solo characteristics. If more output is what you really need, then you can always try ordering a bridge pickup and put it into the neck as well.

3. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

He won't want to use an active neck single coil as getting it to work alongside his passive bridge pickup will be a pain.

Look into the Duncan Hot Rails. If the route is not triangular, then you may want to go with a DiMarzio Chopper or Fast Track.

4. Chewy5150

Chewy5150 SS.org Regular

I'll look more into Seymour Hot Rails. I'm not a fan of actives so I'm only looking for another passive replacement plus my bridge pup being passive as well.

Has anyone had experience putting a bridge single coil in the neck? Do cleans still sound clean or would I have to give that up for more output?

5. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

I've got the Tele-voiced Hot Rails in my Tele - they slay. You won't be lacking output with one of those in neck.

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Dimarzio Air Norton S

7. Veritech Zero

Veritech Zero Jeffy Turbo

eh, I threw it out there cause you didn't say either way haha. My suggestion then would be a Hot rails, I was playing mine side by side with the chopper a little while ago, and the Hot rails definitely had the chopper beat on output and tone imo.

I've never put a bridge pickup in the neck before, but I have put neck pickups in the bridge before, and with excellent results. I'm more of a low output pickup kinda guy, so perhaps I'm not the best reference other than I've had a boat ton of different guitars and pickups over the years.

8. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

You can temper the output of a hot (humbucker)neck pickup, and make it a little more single-coily for if you add a series/parralel switch if it's got four conductor wiring.

9. cult

cult SS.org Regular

Bareknuckle Sinner?
    It's THE high output single coil

10. gigawhat

gigawhat All 6s and 7s

Dimarzio Injector.

11. Colin Trainor

Colin Trainor SS.org Regular

Well it seems like everyone has a different opinion, but I'll add mine. I have a Caparison Horus which is also a 27 fret guitar with a single coil in the neck position. I have used both a DiMarzio Tone Zone and Chopper and personally I prefer the Chopper. I have it paired with a Bare Knuckle War Pig and I find no lack of output when I switch to the Chopper for leads. It really "feels" like a humbucker and has a ton of sustain. The sustain and harmony overtones are where the pickup shines.

A long while back I had a SD Hot rails in the mid position of an Ibanez RG and it was pretty damn hot. It didn't give me a great lead tone in the mid position but that's not a surprise. I'd have to imagine it would react very similarly to the DiMarzio Chopper in the neck position.

12. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

You can go for a cheap GFS Lil'Killer. Is more or less like a Hot Rails of SD but with a bit more high end.

You can choose the "level of output" (the DC Resistance to be correct) so... a 15K on the neck will be enough?

PS: I LOVE the Lil'Killer of GFS more than diMarzio Choppers, Fast Track1, SD Hot rails and a few more... the only other single coil for neck that I like more than the GFS is the SD Quarter Pound but I cannot handle the "true single coil "hum.

13. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Dimarzio Fast Track 2. It's technically a bridge pickup, but it's output is more in line with a full sized, higher output, neck humbucker.

14. Rakija

Rakija SS.org Regular

I would go with the Air Norton S

15. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

:agreed:
    I used to have mine in the neck paired with an x2n. It balanced nicely.
    Not the best for warm clean tones, but as a neck shredder it was very full and also still very cutting.
    In fact I found it to have more clarity than about any standard higher output neck-bucker.