Necrophagist Recorded Epitaph Note for Note

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by @zwen, Oct 16, 2019.

1. @zwen

@zwen Well-Known Member

It’s why the album sounds inhumanly clean. Suicmez is still a brilliant musician and technically gifted, but I still found this factoid funny.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

you're like 15 years late with that info. They recorded that way but live they could definitely play their material, unlike some other bands *cough* HAARP MACHINE, RINGS OF SATURN, DAN JAMES GRIFFIN* cough*

3. @zwen

@zwen Well-Known Member

I don’t know why I never realized it until someone told me. Now I can’t unhear it.

4. @zwen

@zwen Well-Known Member

Joel Omans from RoS is a legit musician, but Lucas seems to insist on speeding up his playthrough footage. HAARP Machine straight up re-amped MIDI guitars for their Strandberg promo vidoes.

James Griffin is really disappointing to hear. I like his music.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

What's better is griffin tried to post some shit live footage and act like that was "proof" that he could play his shit live. Yeah ok bro, that's why all of your riffs sound exactly like midi piano rolls and shit.

6. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

No doubt they could play it live. I saw them in London and they were really late due to problems at the border, they walked into the venue, plugged in and started playing note perfect.

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Despite the album being so old a lot of people don’t know or refuse to believe it was recorded that way. So many people are in denial that all their favourite bands have super edited guitars. Pretty much every djent, tech, death and shreddy IG guitarist nowadays does it. It’s almost getting rare to not hear it. Personally I love it for many reasons when it’s done right but if it sounds like guitar pro you need to work harder.

As long as you aren’t putting up videos miming to super edited tracks as way to show off your “skill” and you can play it reasonably well live then it’s all fine.

oneblackened and aesthyrian like this.
  8. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Fortunately that was done for a specific sound and not to cover up performance issues. I remember some old interview where he said that he basically wrote music that as at about 75% of his ability so it would be easy to pull off live, lol. I saw them on Robot Mosh Fest with Marco Minneman on drums and it was inhumanely tight.

AxeHappy, Hollowway and aesthyrian like this.
  9. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Does it even matter if you play it well if you just double EVERY SINGLE GUITAR NOTE with a synth? I honestly like some of the music, but why bother even playing the guitar if you're gonna produce it that way?

10. Evil Chuck

Evil Chuck SS.org Regular

Can someone do a quick ELI5 for stupid people please? What do you mean when you say they recorded it note for note?

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

it means they played a bunch of single notes and edited it all together.

Evil Chuck likes this.
  12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

You individually record all the notes you need. Like 5 7 8 on the low E string. Making sure each one has perfect attack, in tune and ringing properly. Then you cut before the note so it lines up perfectly at the start of a bar. Then you copy-paste that into a bar, cutting the note to a crotchet or semi-quaver depending on what’s needed.

Do this for every note and voila, surgically tight guitars perfectly in time and every note ringing out clearly in tune. Since noted aren’t bleeding into one another tracks will sound clearer with every note audible and the micro tuning fluctuations from hitting a string already vibrating won’t happen.

The lead guitars in the intro are a perfect example of this:

Evil Chuck likes this.
  13. diagrammatiks

Then again this seems so inefficient from an actual recording standpoint.

why not just midi the recording. and then learn how to play it live properly. No problem.

14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

It wouldn't take that long, it's just sampling after all. The extra effort from doing it that way is probably worth it for guitars that sound like guitars instead of guitar pro.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This reminds me of Rush and Alex Lifeson.

They'd go in the studio and record Alex playing tons of different leads and licks, then they'd throw them together to work best with the song Geddy hears in his head, and Alex would just learn what to play live off the finished track.

Fucking ridiculous.

16. diagrammatiks

so many notes. although I guess you can just repeat the repeated passages. win.

17. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

Is that definitely recorded note for note? You can quite clearly hear the difference between the legato and picked sections, you can hear the pick attack when he's alternate picking - same with some of the riffs in the album too. If it was recorded note for note then everything would sound alternate picked, which it doesn't.

I know Muhammed in the past has said he uses punch-ins - sevenstring.org/threads/necrophagist-new-album-gear-questions.88771/ "punch-ins are ok. never had a problem with it. the goal is to record the best album possible. anyone telling you the opposite is not telling the truth or is the next paganini.", but I don't think that equates to recording note-by-note. I think he just records different parts (riffs) at a time, pieces them together, then adds punch-ins where needed.

18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

There's, what 49 notes on a guitar? 150 if you account for timbral differences between the repeated notes. Doesn't seem that hard.

19. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Yep, 100%. Countless bands do that or half speed or tons of micro punch ins.

So for legato you would record hammer ons instead of picking, what some guitarists do is cut the pick attack out beforehand so it sounds like legato. Same goes for palm mutes and individual slides, bends, pinch harmonics etc

Really listen to that clip I posted and how you can hear every note is separate from one another. I refused to believe it at first but looking back I wonder how I didn’t pick up on it. Nobody likes to admit they record this way but it’s part of the sound of most genres nowadays.

aesthyrian likes this.
  20. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

I don't believe you

Headbanger likes this.