Neck pup suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by FILTHnFEAR, Feb 1, 2018.

1. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

I'm pretty sure I've decided on a D Sonic 7 for my 1527 bridge pup, but I'm getting lost with all the neck pup choices. Mainly because I'm not really a neck pup user but have begun using it more.

What would pair well with the D Sonic? I'm not a lead player and as such it won't be used much in that regard, so I'm mainly looking for really nice cleans.

I've always heard good things about the Air Norton 7 and Liquifire 7's. How would those be with the D Sonic? Looking to possibly doing some coil tap as I've really started getting into single coil cleans.

So what's do you folks think?

2. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Hey I just upgraded some Dimarzios on my 752s. If you dig the D-Sonic you might dig the Imperium in the bridge.
    To me it sounds like a more tamed D-sonic with more punchiness and dynamics. It really changes depending on the pick attack.
    The D-Sonic used to be my favorite but now it's the imperium. The leads are amazing too and best of all I dont have all the noise the D-sonic was giving, which is something other D-Sonic users complain about.

I swapped the PAF7 neck for a Illuminator yesterday and while it sounds great I will be honest and say I could barely notice any difference. After all the PAF 7 neck is really good too haha
    I used to own a 1527 with the D-Sonic and Air Norton combo and while the D-Sonic was a amazing, I liked the Air Norton but not as many people out there. To me it was way too warm, smooth and hence noticed too much bass on tapping runs on solos. I generally like a good mix of smooth/warmness and a kick of "shrediness" you could say. The Liquifire I used to own before that sounded better to me, but then again that pup is tailored more for that. Sounded more compressed and "in your face" from what I remember.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  3. FILTHnFEAR

It actually came down to the D Sonic and the Imperium for the bridge. I've just wanted to try the DS7 forever but I'm back on the fence after your comment and a couple others that have me thinking Imperium.

Neck pups are foreign to me so it's pretty overwhelming. If I get the Imperiums I might just go with it's matching neck pup. As I said I'm not really a lead player, so I want a neck pup more geared towards cleans and mid gain stuff.

Hmm, decisions decisions. Thanks for the reply.

Oh yeah, how would you describe the Air Norton for cleans?

4. takotakumi

Oh yeah forgot to add that, Air Norton probably smokes them all when it comes to cleans. Probably one of the best clean neck tones. Just wasn't that much of a fan for the fast shreddy lead stuff.

Dimarzio offers 30 day exchange policy, so in case you don't like the imperium or D-Sonic, you could exchange it :D (if ordered new)
    If I were you, I would try and see if you can find a used D-Sonic 7 as they pop out every now and then.

I actually have a friend who is selling a D-Sonic 7 and PAF 7 in case you were interested I could PM you the details.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  5. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

The Air Norton has long been one of my favorite neck pups, although I've read the Liquifire is a sort of evolution of the AN at Petrucci's request and seems to be favored by most reviewers. Based on this, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably try the Liquifire first. The Air Norton is the definition of creamy smoothness and clarity, never harsh. Even the pick attack is creamy. :agreed: Great cleans and splits also. I am hands down a DiMarzio man when it comes to neck pickups.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've never tried a D-Sonic, but I've read it's similar overall to a Blaze Custom, which I still have and have paired with a Liquifire, Air Norton, and PAF7 at one time or another.

I would skip the Liquifire altogether if you don't do much lead playing. Cleans are sort of secondary for that pickup IMO, though the leads are killer.

The PAF7 would be my recommendation. I don't understand all the hate for it, at least for the neck position. It's nice and clear, great glassy cleans, and just enough low end to add punch, but not mud on the lower registers. It's a bit brighter overall than the Blaze Custom, but I like that for cleans. Keeps up in output really well, too.

The Air Norton is right in the middle, an ideal pickup for someone doing cleans and leads. It's not as glassy as the PAF7, but has much better cleans than the Liquifire. One of my favorites overall, but not my top pick for an dedicated clean neck pickup.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  7. FILTHnFEAR

Hadn't thought much about the PAF 7, definitely sounds right up my alley. Glassy cleans and a controlled low end for sure. Gonna look around for more info on it. Right on for recommendation.

You've had all the pups I'm interested in, that helps a lot, thanks .TWAT.

Actually PM me with that info. I might hit you friend up if I decide to go with either if those.

The Air Norton sounds great from descriptions too. Now it's between it and a PAF 7, which I should have thought of before as the PAF's seem to be known for their clarity.
    Now if I could just narrow down the bridge pup to pair with one of these necks.

Creamy smooth with clarity is what's wanted. It's gonna be a toss up.

Thanks for the replies fella's, greatly appreciated. I know zilch about neck pups.

Keep it coming.

8. takotakumi

PMd

9. FILTHnFEAR

Ok so now I'm really leaning Illuminators for the bridge. Instead of starting another thread I'll just ask here and hopefully get some responses.

Being Petrucci's sig pup I'm sure it is most likely a pretty clear, articulate pup. Which is what I'm after, but I'm wondering where it's mids sit? Definitely don't want anything honky or to have that cocked wah sound to it.

And as for the neck pup I've decided on a PAF 7 as I'm wanting it for just clean tones with FX and not lead playing. Will these two pair well?

And lastly, surely being newer Dimarzios they will fit in my 1527 without any routing or issues? Can anyone confirm.

Thanks for the help guys, just need a little bit more.

10. takotakumi

I have paired the PAF 7 neck with imperium, super distortion, d-sonic, and another paf7 and it paired fantastically on all of those.
    I would say yes it will pair nice.

When I was deciding on the pickups I have a friend recommending the illuminators after the imperiums. He said they were "more metallic and tighter" than the cruchlab, and brighter in comparison to the imperium bridge.

For routing, you're definitely going to to need some kind of routing done. On my old 1527 I dug a small grove to fit the cable from the D-Sonic. If not it was a couple of mms away from touching the strings.

Per Dimarzio's specs:

Shallowest: DP793, DP756, DP707, DP759, DP755 (These would be the easiest to accommodate)

Taller, more modern ones: DP712, DP702, DP700, DP708, DP720, DP719, DP706, DP704, DP757, DP711, DP709, DP705 (these would require the routes to be lowered/deepened)

FILTHnFEAR likes this.