NDG: 2005 PRS Custom 24

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by SonicBlur, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

This is my new (to me) Custom 24. I can see why these have so much hype associated with them. I like this thing so much more than the Les Paul Traditional i got rid of for this. It needed A LOT of setup, clean up, ect. work. The only thing is that the rotary selector switch is a nightmare. I got it figured out but either a 3 or 5 way lever switch would be much nicer. Regardless, after a good setup I am in love with this thing!

[​IMG]

2. Ignoramus

Ignoramus SS.org Regular

Imageless. May want to share your pics of your new treasure. (A good move is to change the rotary switch to a 3-way -- I did that with 2 of mine. I'm not into split coils so just straight on humbucking neck/both/bridge works best for me.)

3. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

Not sure what happened....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Imgur hotlinks don't work here thanks to Imgur's marketplace policies (protip: you can sometimes bypass this on the viewing end by hitting the "Reply" button).

Looks good though!

5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Congrats. Change that 5-way to a 3-way toggle if you want one, it's pretty straightforward I think (there's diagras on the PRS site).

I have an '06 custom 22, it's seen a good chunk of Canada and the US. It's a good time :yesway:

SonicBlur likes this.
  6. Ignoramus

Ignoramus SS.org Regular

Good protip, albeit intuitive. Thanks. And nice guitar, OP, now that I can see it with this newfound info!

On my Cu22, the 3-way required a slightly larger hole than what the rotary switch used, so (to me) it was a permanent change, but a welcome one. And I had a luthier do it. Guessing it's the same with the Cu24.

7. Vletrmx

Vletrmx ΞΆ

Congrats!

The 5-way rotary is pretty cool and has more usable tones in the intermediate positions IMO (especially the parallel coils). If you don't like the ergonomics, you could swap it out for the more traditional 3-way toggle. If it were up to me I'd drop in one of these: http://www.jjcustomworks.com/ They have wiring diagrams for PRS rotary conversions (either on the website or you could e-mail them), but that way you have a lot of flexibility with how you want to wire things up.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    SonicBlur likes this.
  8. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

Yeah, I have been indeed toying with the idea of a 3 way toggle, there seems to be an issue with the #2 and #4 positions anyway....only the #1,#3, and #5 positions work. It's the universe telling me to just swap to a 3 way switch, LMAO!

9. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

Personally I love the 2 and 4 positions on my CU24, definitely more than the 3 position. Much more stratty than I would have anticipated