NCD: Line 6 Powercab+

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by budda, Dec 14, 2019.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

[​IMG]

Picked this up this morning and started working on some presets. Cosmetically it's in pretty good shape - some minor marks on the side but nothing to write home about.

I didn't crank it up as I'm in a townhouse, but initial impressions are good. I have the line 6 cable so I'm able to use the functionality of this thing, should I decide to. Haven't looked into the manual or bought another USB cable for it yet :lol:. The first thing I did was reset 000 to flat and hook it up to my LT. Can't comment on how it sounds at band volume, since I don't have a band right now :lol:. Once I do, I'll be updating with thoughts on that. The move to digital is complete.

I have a dedicated bass amp to take to any jams that may arise, but this will at least handle a bass in standard tuning.

Anyone else running one of these?

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Looks clean!

I don't own one, but I got to try one out with a Helix floor model in a store for a while and really dive into all the settings. Seems a lot more flexible than most FRFR solutions, though I can't comment on how it stacks up sound-wise since I've never tried any other FRFR wedges.

For what it is, it does a great job. Plus I know you got a good deal on it from your other thread :D let us know how it holds up at higher volumes too!

budda likes this.
  3. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Believe it or not, I didn't even know these existed. I knew they had the Stagesource speakers but these look mighty interesting. I'm kinda in the same boat as you are, not in a band but I do have a 500 watt bass head and a 4x10 cab and the only other 'real' source I have for using my guitar stuff aside from headphones is the set of KRK monitors I have hooked up to my Steinberger audio interface.

L&M have them for $799 but the Headrush is only $399. I wonder if the built in IR makes that huge of a difference (considering I have a Radar IR pedal).

budda likes this.
  4. budda

I was going to do a dual headrush 112 setup, but this was intriguing enough.

If you have the 799 try it out, as that's $300 off :lol:.

If I can talk my drummer buddy into less flying more drumming, I have a spot where I can test this out. Not his house :lol:.

5. Spinedriver

I meant that the 'basic' L6 powercab (the one you can't load irs into) is $799. The plus version is $1,100.
    So I was just wondering how the 'basic' version would measure up against the $399 Headrush with an ir pedal. The L6 does have a bigger cab but the Headrush has more power.

6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I've stumbled upon a lot of bad reviews for the Headrush, haven't found much negative feedback on the Line 6. At a certain point there must be a reason it is so much cheaper not just for the wonky "speaker emulation"

7. budda

Ooooh. Yeah, no idea :lol:.

Spinedriver likes this.
  8. Spinedriver

Gotcha. $800 plus tax is kinda steep for just using around the house. The $400, I could probably swing if it were pretty decent but (as you said) the reviews of the Headrush aren't exactly 'glowing'. If I were going to be jamming with others at some point, I probably would find a way to snag one of the L6 cabs but for just messing around at home, I'll probably put a little more time into seeing if I can't find the right combo of ir & eq and get something decent through the 4x10 bass rig.

budda likes this.
  9. budda

The other alternate is a keyboard amp. I have a forum buddy doing regular cover gigs with the LT and thats his current monitor.

Or just a $400 powered yorkville speaker lol

10. McBrain

McBrain SS.org Regular

I have one that I just use at home with my Mooer Preamp Live + Two Notes Torpedo c.a.b. m for power amp emulation and eq. I'm really happy with it, and it sounds great at low/medium volume. I control it using midi and so far I haven't had any problems. I prefer the built in speaker emulations, and almost never use it on the FRFR setting. Not that it doesn't sound good on FRFR. It does. But I use IR's all the time through my headphones and desktop speakers, so I like the simplicity and the 'real cabinet' feel of the built in speaker emulations. YMMV...

Check out this video for tips on getting the best sound:

Spinedriver and budda like this.
  11. budda

I may try running just an amp from the helix into it and see how the various cab sims sound. Spent a few hours this morning messing with fuzz and amp-alone heavy tones. Got a little ways to go I think.

12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

PC and PC+ sound (to me, YMMV) quite a bit better than the HR, and the volume that is usable is just as loud. Powercab was slightly more directional and "cab like". The thing with the HR power rating (and most powered PA speakers these days), is that there is no way the drivers are handling all of that power. The people building them use way over-powered max-rating class-D amps to provide a shitload of headroom (usually DSP controlled) so the amps never break up at high volumes, so a 2000W powered 12" speaker isn't going to put out much, if any, more volume than a 500W passive speaker connected to the appropriate amplifier, but it looks a lot better on the sticker. Keep in mind the HR is literally an Alto PA speaker without a microphone preamp.

Spinedriver likes this.
  13. Se7enHeaven

Se7enHeaven SS.org Regular

A short sound demo with the Powercab 212 Plus and the Victory Preamps:

Jeff likes this.
  14. budda

Timely bump.

Got to use it at a jam yesterday. It held up well, and I am glad that my presets translated to a higher volume :lol:.

15. Spinedriver

I hear ya. I remember back in the day when I was using a Pod XTL in my band, I'd spend hours making patches at home and when I'd run them into my power amp & cab at band practice, they'd sound like complete ass. Eventually, I just ended up having a set of patches for home use and a complete other set for using with my jam/live rig.

budda likes this.
  16. budda

@Spinedriver yeah, all my stuff is set up to sound good at low volume at home. I lower the output in the III for recording as I guess I run it hot :lol:. All my home tones sound pretty different when I track at my friend's home studio for funsies. One day we'll make a preset just for his setup :yesway:. Once I have a project again, I'll definitely make a preset for that specific task.

Spinedriver likes this.
  17. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Very tempted to move from a couple studio monitors to a PowerCab for my Kemper, too bad L&M never has any deals on them :(

18. budda

Found mine on kijiji. L&m will get used ones too, just gotta keep an eye out.

19. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

congrats!!!

i am still clinging to at least a quilter and a 4x12 with my helix but it is good know that stuff like this sounds good.

20. budda

Love hearing 412s, never want to lift one again :lol:.

sleewell likes this.