NCD: Finally Got My Holy Grail Cab

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been lusting after one of these for years and finally saw one pop up locally. I bought it from the original owner who'd kept it in storage for years. It's in basically mint condition. No dents, no tears in the tolex or grille cloth. It still has the stock MIE V30s, and as far as I can tell the back of it had never even been removed. Played through it a bit and it's as glorious as I expected.

I may end up selling my traditional straight cab now. Maybe.
0365C719-355B-4AD2-A8F1-367329C1F457.jpeg

Here it is next to the Traditional straight cab.

E63B1C26-BA7F-468B-BBC1-F7EDBA338AC6.jpeg

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I love my Traditional 4x12 cabs, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how they compare :metal: what does each cab have more/less of, how different do they "feel" in the room, etc.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah that's hot. I really love Strandbergs but their finishes are mids.

The Thing Upstairs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNCD!

how’s the neck on the boden now?

I’ve tried a couple in the past but returned then as the neck heal was a bit mleh. Looks like they have lowered the profile and rounded it quite a lot

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most often an Ultra Lead and Mark V, but I also have a 5150 and 50w 5153 6l6. I spy a 6505 and 5153 in your other pictures, so those would be perfect for a frame of reference :metal:
Sorry! I never got around to a/b'ing them. Maybe I will down the line but I've been focused on rearranging the house and some other stuff. Haven't played a guitar for any significant time in a while (other than trying the Epi AJ sig).
HNCD!

how’s the neck on the boden now?

I’ve tried a couple in the past but returned then as the neck heal was a bit mleh. Looks like they have lowered the profile and rounded it quite a lot
The heels on my NXs are significantly more contoured/lower profile than the one on my 2018 Fusion. Probably worth trying again.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sweet!

I liked the OS for playing live and feel in the room, but for recording I dug the Traditional more for the opposite reasons, I was mostly EQ’ing the low end out that I believe was a product of the bigger cab.

I ended up trading my old one for another traditional cab because I used to stand them up in the back of my truck when going to a gig, but the OS wouldn’t fit, so I’d have to lay it down and just stack everything on top of it.

The Thing Upstairs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry! I never got around to a/b'ing them. Maybe I will down the line but I've been focused on rearranging the house and some other stuff. Haven't played a guitar for any significant time in a while (other than trying the Epi AJ sig).

The heels on my NXs are significantly more contoured/lower profile than the one on my 2018 Fusion. Probably worth trying again.
Thanks - will check one out in 23!

Mourguitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You go big or go home Deadpool !

Sweet cab and Congrats ....

I like it better than the Traditional one you have ...does it sound bigger as in low end being oversized ?

Mike

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You go big or go home Deadpool !

Sweet cab and Congrats ....

I like it better than the Traditional one you have ...does it sound bigger as in low end being oversized ?

Mike
I expect it to, but it's really hard to say without using them side by side (I should do that soon). I'm also curious how I'll feel about the speakers and overall sound differences.The Traditional is just a baby; the OS Straight/Slant is old enough to drink.

Sir_Shreddington

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice man! I used to have that cab but it was in tan. I loved it. I bought it used and it was all beat up, but it sounded so good. I guess it was Bruce Egnater’s test cab. I regret selling it to this day.

Gtan7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Noice must sound primo and Reverb would certainly call that mint.

I have a Lonestar 2x12, sounds very fine stock but i've been experimenting with an original V30 and, so far, Celestion EVH and a scumback in the other spot. But if i were going to play out the other V30 would go back in.