NBD - Vintage content

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Mprinsje, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

Hi guys!

So i've got a new (used) bass! It's a Vintage (the brand, it's not that old) v1004SP. I traded this for a 5 string dean that i never really got along with. less strings=more better for me. The guy who i traded with is a friend of mine and he lives in the same city so i dropped by yesterday, played on this bass, liked it a lot, he liked mine and the trade was done.

Now, Specs (copied from vintage's website)!

Body: Mahogany Wings
    Top: Spalted maple
    Neck: 5-Ply Thru-Neck
    Fingerboard: Rosewood
    Scale: 34"/864mm
    Frets: 24
    Neck Inlays: Pearloid Dot
    Tuners: Wilkinson® WJB150
    Bridge: Adjustable/ Raised Tail
    Pickups:
    Wilkinson® Single Coil x 1/ Double Coil x 1 (M) WJBE900 (B) WSME4
    Hardware: Gold
    Controls: 1 x Volume/ 1 x Balance/ Active Treble/ Active Bass

and now: Pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my first instrument with a spalted maple top and dayumn, that shit looks good man!

The previous owner took pretty good care of it and it's set up for drop C, which is the tuning i play in, so that's nice. The guitar feels like it's pretty good quality, hardware is in good condition and works as it should.

The wilkinson pickups sound absolutely righteous. Especially on the bridge pickup it has this grind that i'm looking for. This will be used in band context as our bass player doesn't have a bass anymore and hasn't got money to buy one (i know, bass players...) so we'll find out shortly how well this stands up to our abuse, as we are a pretty agressive band.

Well, that's all folks! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna feast my eyes on this spalted top one more time.

Daf57 likes this.
  2. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

Very cool looking bass! I like the extended upper horn and upper fret access. Never heard of this brand before but it's reminiscent of a Cort A5 I used to own.

3. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Nice, man! Congrats! :)

4. Mprinsje

Thanks dudes!

Vintage is a brand that's reasonably well known in Europe for making affordable knock-offs of well known brands (les pauls, strats) with pretty good quality.

5. Ord92

Ord92 Well-Known Member

HNBD!!! My dad has the exact same bass and it simply kills! It has such a huge tone!

How are you finding the weight of it?

I find it to be one heavy mutha ....a! Even heavier than my dads Thunderbird

6. Mprinsje

Really? it's no heavier than any other bass i've owned (which isn't that many but still) and i even think it's on the light side of things. It's pretty well balanced so whatever weight it has it's pretty comfortable.

And thanks!