NBD: New Peavey G-Bass + Bonus Pic

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Andless, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

I decided that I needed a bass for recording, and I have to confess I've never given the thought of me playing the bass much serious thought before this, so I went bass hunting aided by a dear friend bass player.

The requirement was basically "versatility", specially since I have not yet narrowed down exactly what I was looking for, and needed something tonally flexible.

Coming up short on interesting basses within my budget, we stumbled upon an advertisement form this shop that had two Peavey G-Basses that had been sitting in their cases the last 11 or so years and needed to get rid of them.

After a bit of setup in the shop they both played and sounded great, both my friend and I bought one each! Carbon graphite goodness.

I have yet to get to know the instrument properly, but so far I've come to 2 conclusions, it sounds great and the tonal versatility is great. :agreed:

Although we payed a bit more here in Europe than the occasionally ridiculous US e-bay rate for used G-Basses, I believe we got pretty fair deals on what was, after all, new instruments.

So here's the specs of my latest add-on:

- Solid basswood body
    - 35" scale graphite composite neck
    - Pau ferro fingerboard, 8" radius
    - 21 nickel/silver frets
    - 1.5" topnut width
    - Graphlon topnut
    - Active bass, mid & treble boost/cut, 10 dB
    - 1- VFL Plus, wide aperture, internally active humbucker (18v)

The color is a dark grey with a metallic content (not the black/green/red holoflake that I've seen in pictures). I've never seen this color listed or described anywhere so if anyone knows what color this actually is please do let me know. :scratch:
    Edit: The Peavey Monitor magazine from 1999 that was in the hard case lists "Pearl Black" as a color. This must be it.
    Edit2: Still not sure of the color - as it looks more gray than black. It was also 200g heavier than its green holoflake sister, weighing in at 3850g.

Now I have a new instrument to learn, looking forward to it!

PICS:

Front...
    [​IMG]

Front...
    [​IMG]

Back...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Graphite ...

Bonus pic:
    And in the case and battery cavity, 1999 Peavey Monitor with EVH on the cover + really old Peavey branded 9v batteries that died on me after 2h of playing. Kind of proof that the bass really sit in a case all these years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    Deadnightshade likes this.
  2. engage757

engage757 Banned

These are AWESOME basses. Modulus actually made the neck for these. I have had several of them! HNBD!

3. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Thanks!

I hope you didn't sell all of them! Or you perhaps traded it for a modulus?

Btw, did you ever come a cross a grayish one like mine, I've not been able to find any record of this particular color?

4. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

please tell me you are taking avantage of the 35 scale and tuning her with a low b

5. Andless

Andless SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestion.

Not planning to do that just yet, but the possibility had crossed my mind already before buying, and might try it out later on.

Right this moment, I just want to get to know her better before I start changing things around.