NBD+NAD: My new rig

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by TheBloodstained, Jul 15, 2020.

1. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained Casual music entusiast

So... my new rig! :)

The bass: Ibanez SR675-SKF
    The amp: Behringer UltraBass amp w/ Gallien-Krueger 8x10" cab

105370685_10160590242277837_5989856081248075115_o.jpg

The story:
    I started playing bass for a band in january (original music. Kind of melo/groove inspired metalcore). I've been focusing on guitar in terms of songwriting for the last 10+ years, but bass was always my primary instrument. I had a couple of basses kicking around - my Peavey C5 Tigerwood and my Ibanez SR886 - and I initially started out on the SR886 in the band, but I just felt like it would be easier for me to handle a proper 5 string when playing the stuff we write.

My very first bass was an Ibanez, so I've always felt at home on those instruments, so it was a no brainer to pick up one of these. Took me a while to get it properly adjusted, and I'm still dialing it in to my preferred setup, but it plays great and sounds amazing, so I'm pretty happy with this purchase :)

The amp was kind of a here-and-now sollution. When we started out there was another amp at the rehearsel space that I was playing through, but the owner removed it during the covid lockdown here in Denmark, and when the band started playing again recently we were left with a lackluster "DI through PA" solution, which totally killed the vibe for me and the other guys. A quick searched later I was able to pick up a very mint Behringer UltraBass amp and a used but pristine Gallien-Krueger cab REALLY CHEAP in my local area.

So yeah, this is my new rig - and my first bass amp despite having played bass for most of my life! It sounds killer, was pretty cheap and totally gives me "that vibe" when we play together.

Rock on out there! :hbang:

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Looks very similar to where I started with bass - I had an LTD and an UltraBass, something like 10 years ago.

3. TheBloodstained

I think the UltraBass is a really underrated and stable little workhorse. I've played on those amps many times before, and I always enjoyed the sounds they can produce.
    Ultimately I would love to go the Darkglass way, but that stuff is a little too expensive for me right now, but maybe somewhere down the line as the band progresses? :)
    I'm also dreaming of Prestige Ibanez basses! My GAS is never ending! :lol:

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Realistically, I didn't hate the sound I got from the UltraBass at the time - it was certainly usable in that regard, but it didn't hold up in terms of reliability. It eventually stopped outputting any sound at all. I eventually replaced it with a Peavey Tour 700. The Peavey was then eventually replaced with a Sansamp + Crown XLS. The Sansamp was then swapped for an Ampeg SVT-IIP.

I don't think I'd rely on it for touring or something, but it gets the job done (usually).

5. TheBloodstained

The guy I bought it from told me that there is some components in the electric circuit of these amps that have a tendency to fail, and that he had those components changed/upgraded on this very unit I bought.
    Don't know if there's any truth to that. I basically took it as a salesman pitch at the time, but the guy seemed very sincere and certainly knew a whole lot about the amp. He had been using it as a back up, so according to him it hadn't been played all that much.

Anyway, gigging/touring is not exactly in the horizon for this band right now. We're basically just a motley crew who are having some fun playing together and trying to create some music :)

6. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I had an Ultrabass a number of years ago and although it was ok power wise, putting a Sansamp BDDI in front of it helped a LOT. I ended up selling it to the bass player in the band I was in because he was just using a combo amp and I was swtiching to guitar. It's definitely not in the same league as the Ashdown amps it was based on or even an Ampeg but if you're looking for something loud enough to jam with without spending a ton of cash, it'll definitely get the job done.