NBD - Ibanez BTB686SC Terra Firma

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by CanniballistiX, Feb 23, 2015.

1. CanniballistiX

CanniballistiX Detuned Fury

Pics first:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Been daydreaming of a singlecut bass, but most are customs and well out of my price range. I'd been wanting a new 6-string and had seen that Ibanez recently put these out. I watched a review from a member here named Dean (not sure of his username) and was hooked. Income tax couldn't arrive fast enough.

Fast forward to this past Thursday, she arrived along with a Gator TSA-approved case and a new Hartke LH1000.

This is the most resonant bass I've had the pleasure of playing. The build quality is top-notch, no marks or flaws anywhere and believe me, I've looked.

Specs:...
    35" scale, 17mm string spacing, 37.4" radius
    Light Ash body, 5-piece Maple/Bubinga neck
    Rosewood top and fretboard
    Mono-Rail II bridge
    Bartolini BH-1 humbuckers
    EBQ-III 3 band w/ mid freq switch (250k or 600k focus)
    Neutrik locking input
    Weighs 10.6 lbs.

2. PunchLine

PunchLine SS.org Regular

HNBD! Aren't they great? The Ibanez Bass Workshop line is giving me some serious BAS lately... :yesway:

3. teddy_baca

teddy_baca SS.org Regular

Beautiful bass! It looks amazing, I really want to try one out.

4. Der JD

Der JD SS.org Regular

Awesome. I love the look of singlecuts, though I've never had the chance to play one.

There are a lot of interesting basses in Ibanez' lineup now, including this one. Would love to try some of them out and see if they come close to some of the more expensive, "boutique" builders.

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building

I went back and forth on whether or not to get one of these... I didn't do it... Feeling like a dummy... :facepalm:

That's a sweet bass...

6. Orgalmer

Orgalmer Chuggasaurus Rex

These look super cool, HNBD man! How are you handling the weight of this bass? My BTB776 weighs a ton, it literally cuts off the circulation in my leg if I let it sit for long enough :(

7. CanniballistiX

My Spector Q6 Pro was a heavy bass so I was used to it. I prefer a heavy bass anyway, so it is win all around.

8. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Man, I want to play one of those so badly!
    Fantastic score, these basses just totally look like they mean business:metal:

Yeah man, my mate has a BTB775 from a couple of years back, heavy mother of a thing! Within 20 minutes of playing it standing up it starts to seriously dig into my shoulder.
    The weight of the BTB686SC probably wouldn't stop me from buying one given how freakin badass they look but I'd probably need one of those double shoulder straps for it though:lol:

9. Orgalmer

Orgalmer Chuggasaurus Rex

Yeah, aside from the weight of this particular build, they're fantastic. I love the amber finish mine has, it looks really imposing, plays and sounds fantastic, just the overall weight is a big issue for me.
    I'm waiting for the SRFF806BKS to hit stores in Australia, and then I'll sell my BTB and pick one of them up, I think the SR series suits me a lot better. So I guess if anyone is interested in a BTB776, they can PM me.

10. CanniballistiX

I use a Levy's 4" suede strap so I don't feel any fatigue in the shoulder region at all. If anything, the way I perform, swinging this around will be a hell of a core exercise!

Also, I updated the knobs with Spalted Maple from Archipelago Glass. Highly recommended for exotic knobs!

Here is a new family pic!
    [​IMG]