NBD - First Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Wyvern Claw, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Wyvern Claw

Wyvern Claw SS.org Regular

I've needed a bass for a while now, and finally had some spare cash saved up. After some research, it seemed this one was the best choice for me out of what I had available. I'v wanted an Ibanez SR5005 for the longest time. But even though that's not what I wound up with, it doesn't bother me because I got basically the same thing with only a few differences plus an extra string. So, here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Sorry for the blurry headstock shot)
    [​IMG]

So, as you can see, I wound up with an Ibanez SR3006e, which from what I can tell, is long discontinued and somewhat rare. There was a model released before this one that is essentially the same, but with stock Ibanez pickups as opposed to the Bartolini pickups in this one. I can't comment much on the sound though, since I don't have a real amp to test it with. But just plugging into my old guitar amp at low volumes, it seems incredibly versatile. It plays amazingly well too. Though being that this is my first bass, I don't have a whole lot to compare it to. Not that it matters much, because I'm pretty happy with it. It's in great shape for its age as well, even still has the plastic on the control cavity cover as you can see in picture 3 (though just barely).

Lastly, some might find it odd that I'd get a 6 string as my first bass, but I've never been one to be intimidated by number of strings, since one of my first guitars that I learned on was a 7 string and I also have an 8 string I bought last year. And I have definitely played bass before (both 4 and 5 strings), I just never actually owned one or played extensively until now.

2. Metamurphic

Metamurphic Dimarzio CRUNK-Lab Contributor

Awesome score dude. The neck laminates on that look so sexy. I'm looking at getting a decent 5 string but this post has me convinced that there's no harm in going one string extra! HNBD!

3. Wyvern Claw

Thank you! And that is correct, at least in my experience; I just see the extra string as a bonus. I wasn't originally looking for a 6 string either, but just happened to find one that had everything else I wanted. The extra range is definitely not a downside, so if you find one you like before you find a 5 you like, go for it!

4. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

nice man, congrats.:yesway: i like the wenge/bubinga necks and there definitely is no harm in a 6 string bass. :agreed: hnbd.

5. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

I was going to say that looks like a pretty rare bird. Awesome dude! Nice score!

6. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Excellent! Congrats on the new bass!

7. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

Very nice, mang. I've always liked the looks of those SRs.

8. MrSleepwalker

MrSleepwalker SS.org Regular

Looks great! HNGD!

9. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

What's the string spacing on that? You do any slapping at all? If so, is it comfortable?

10. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

i wonder what year, the bridge doesn't look like any i've seen in the past 10 years

11. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

not sure what the spacing is for the op's bass, but I have an SR1006. can't find info in the specs, but my calipers are telling me 15 - 16mm center to center.

fwiw I suck at slapping, but I've always blamed my sorry technique and lack of practice :lol:. I have large hands and I find soundgear basses to be comfy. getting around is pretty easy and I haven't misjudged distances when skipping strings and slowly learning slap technique. also, I've been emasculated by younger cats gettin' all 'slap-tastic bill dickens' raping a soundgear 6 at sam ash. pretty sure those guys don't have issues with string spacing either. :lol:

12. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

I always just found it to be way more comfy on my BTB than my SR. I've been a bit curious ab 6 strings but I could let it going I were to find they're less comfy. I just don't find many I care to play locally.

The same point you made can be said for long scale guitars too but it doesn't change the fact that they simply dont suit everyone. :2c:

13. Wyvern Claw

Spacing is 16.5mm, I believe. However, I don't do much slapping yet or even play finger style, I'm a guitarist of nearly a decade now and this is the first bass I've ever owned. So for now, I just use a pick as with guitar, haha. Eventually I'll get around to learning different techniques and playing styles with it though, but even just using a pick and taking somewhat of a guitarist's approach to it, I've been able to come up with some cool bass lines. In the mean time, the little bit of slapping and such I have tried seems very doable with the slightly narrow spacing, so I don't think it would be an issue at all if I were to practice and develop good technique. The bass player in my old band was insanely talented, he played all kinds of different styles extremely well and he also played a 6 string SR.

As for the bridge, it's a Monorail. Most of the Prestige basses I see these days have newer versions of it. Not sure what the differences are in any newer models, but this one seems pretty nice.

And the year on it is somewhere between 2001 and 2003, I believe. They weren't made for very long, but as stated there were two versions, one with stock Ibanez pickups, and this one that is exactly the same, but with custom Bartolini pickups.

14. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

i'm so happy to see someone else diving into bass with 6 strings XD i din't know how they did it, but sr 6ers have an astoundingly comfortable neck. that might just be the case for those of us coming from the frail guitar side though haha

15. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

Looks really nice!

Congrats!

I just guess I expected something more pointy....

16. Wyvern Claw

I'm not sure what would have given you that impression... But I'd certainly like a more pointy bass one day. Something like one of these. However, that's quite a long way off.
    [​IMG]