Narrow width shred guitars?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by stinkoman, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

My only experience with an M series is the KH bolt on ESP. It had a 43mm neck with a 42mm floyd nut. Such a smart decision.

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

That wouldn't fix the rest of the neck though. A narrower nut width normally also goes with narrower width at the 12th fret and heel. The entire neck is narrower, just not at the nut.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The E-IIs I have played, and all the LTD 1000 series and below are all 43mm. The only ones I have played with 42mm are old 80s Mirages, that I wish I would have bought at the time, lol.

42mm nut on a 43mm neck doesn't really make sense, as I said in my last post. The neck is still wide if they haven't made the neck narrower at the 12th fret and heel.

4. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

The narrow nut width and flat radius have become important criteria for me. I just find those guitars a little easier to play and stress my hands and arms less. I agree with the above recommendations - Shask nailed it. Schecter is a go to. The ultra thin C or thin C has 41.3 Floyd or 42 hipshot. Necks are all prominent on their website. They will be 12-16 compound or 14 radius. Those are the most comfortable narrow necks I have found. Many EBMMs have 41.3 but not as flat - often 12. ESPs are often 42. Suhr's are mostly 42 and often have 10-14 compound, or I think 12-16 on the Moderns. Fender Mex's are 42 but not as flat. Narrowest Ibanez I think is the Talman at 41.3 but 12 radius. AZ/JS as Shask said are 42 I think. But AZ is pretty thick neck. Those are the ones that come to mind of guitars I have owned.

Shask likes this.
  5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I was just looking it up, and it looks like current E-II guitars are 42mm, and all LTDs are 43mm.

I think that has changed through the years, which makes it hard to buy used, but those are the current listed specs.

I don't know why, but it seems like the M series is always the oddball one with them. Inconsistent from year to year.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It depends. Anything with a trem is going to have the same bridge spacing, same with most TOMs.

You'd be surprised how much of a difference just swapping in the nut makes.

7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I was thinking Suhr also, because if I remember right, they are 1.65", which is right in between 42mm and 43mm, or 1 5/8" and 1 11/16" in Imperial units.

I thought Kiesel was right in between also, but they are listed as 1.68", which is only slightly less than wide. I wonder if they changed in the last few years also, because I swear I thought they were 1.65" also.

8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, but I always figured the strings were more /\ instead of ||, if that makes sense. Like, if you look at a Jazz bass vs a P bass. Same bridge width, but the fan, or spread of the strings is different as they run down the neck. The width would only be the same around the 24th fret.

9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Keep in mind the guitars which most are recommending have the same bridge spacing as wider neck models offered by the same brand.

It's $12 for a nut, give it a try.