NAMM: Orange Dual Dark 50/100

protest

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn they're both more money than a Mark V?

I know there's overseas shipping plus taxes/tariffs to take into account, but I feel like that's a lot, especially for the 50W head.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Damn they're both more money than a Mark V?

I know there's overseas shipping plus taxes/tariffs to take into account, but I feel like that's a lot, especially for the 50W head.

Yeah, I was hoping it was going to be priced like the OR50 ($1699), instead it's an extra $600. I need to hear some serious reviews before I would fork that out.

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that Orange Amp's "showcase" dealer, Humbucker Music, often has introductory sales and the like on new Orange amps. I was able to get a new Orange TH30 at a steep discount, I also saw they had a similar introductory offer on the OR100 when released.

They don't have the Dual Dark listed yet, because they only list stuff when it's in stock or imminent, but when they *do* have one I intend to call them for their price. I find them to be a great company to deal with, really helpful, and no problem getting them to ship nationally (I'm pretty much across the nation from them, they're in Atlanta I'm in California).

Orren

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
It's a shame what an Orange amp costs. I really believe that they make some pretty unique sounding products but I can't justify what they offer for the price they ask. I'd expect hand wired with UK made electronics as well for those prices. Not just assembled there.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
It's a shame what an Orange amp costs. I really believe that they make some pretty unique sounding products but I can't justify what they offer for the price they ask. I'd expect hand wired with UK made electronics as well for those prices. Not just assembled there.

These are Made in England. The cheaper TH series and the small Terrors are made in China.

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
I'd expect hand wired with UK made electronics as well for those prices. Not just assembled there.

There is no doubt that they're not going to be cheap.

OTOH, they're in the same price range as the 1-channel, non-handwired, assembled in the UK Marshall JCM800 2203X. Or the 2-channel, non-handwired, assembled in the UK Marshall 1959SLP.

In other words, while I'd have loved these amps to street between $1500-$2000, comparable non-handwired, UK assembled amps also street between $2000-$2500.

Orren

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
There is no doubt that they're not going to be cheap.

OTOH, they're in the same price range as the 1-channel, non-handwired, assembled in the UK Marshall JCM800 2203X. Or the 2-channel, non-handwired, assembled in the UK Marshall 1959SLP.

In other words, while I'd have loved these amps to street between $1500-$2000, comparable non-handwired, UK assembled amps also street between $2000-$2500.

Orren

It's absurd what Marshalls cost too! Haha.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Yep... I like it. I think I have to find a way to save money for one. I just love the Orange sound and this one sounds really cool.

Insinfier

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
His description will make anyone want to buy this amp. 15 watt Dark Terror, do you even lift?

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
the Dark Terror based on the Thunder amps?
hu2f.jpg

Yes, that would be Channel B on these. Channel A is something new that they have not used previously.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kinda prefer the sounds he got from the CR120. :ugh:

Then again, that's for more traditional hard rock and metal voicings. I'm sure for sludgier stuff, the Dual Dark will sound phenomenal.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kinda prefer the sounds he got from the CR120. :ugh:

Then again, that's for more traditional hard rock and metal voicings. I'm sure for sludgier stuff, the Dual Dark will sound phenomenal.

The OR's are killer, but yeah they have a more vintage Orange sound.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
No, the CR120. The 120W solid state head. :

Oops misread the C as an O. Those sound pretty awesome for the money. I think they are under $450. Probably one of the nicest solid state amps I have heard.

Insinfier

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Didn't like the CR very much. Just feels like something is missing to make me go: :scream:

But I won't say anything truly negative about it. Probably wasn't intended for me.

And I'm ....ing picky. :)

Does the original Dark Terror make a great bedroom amp? I noticed my 5150 doesn't really sound great until the volume hits a certain threshold. I wonder if the Dark Terror would be a little more suitable for my uses.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Didn't like the CR very much. Just feels like something is missing to make me go: :scream:

But I won't say anything truly negative about it. Probably wasn't intended for me.

And I'm ....ing picky. :)

Does the original Dark Terror make a great bedroom amp? I noticed my 5150 doesn't really sound great until the volume hits a certain threshold. I wonder if the Dark Terror would be a little more suitable for my uses.

I enjoyed the one I had, just a little bit one dimensional with just a single channel. The 15w got pretty loud through my 2x12. I usually didn't play over 3-4 on the volume and gain around 6-8. Anything more than that on the gain side and it lost definition.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that Orange Amp's "showcase" dealer, Humbucker Music, often has introductory sales and the like on new Orange amps. I was able to get a new Orange TH30 at a steep discount, I also saw they had a similar introductory offer on the OR100 when released.

They don't have the Dual Dark listed yet, because they only list stuff when it's in stock or imminent, but when they *do* have one I intend to call them for their price. I find them to be a great company to deal with, really helpful, and no problem getting them to ship nationally (I'm pretty much across the nation from them, they're in Atlanta I'm in California).

Orren

They have them on order now, but they don't appear to be priced any better than the others stores that have them.

Orange Dual Dark 50 Head | Humbucker Music

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
They have them on order now, but they don't appear to be priced any better than the others stores that have them.

Orange Dual Dark 50 Head | Humbucker Music

True.

But—did you click the "need price request" button? You'll notice that the Dual Dark 50 or 100 aren't on their Orange price list yet. My guess? When it's an actual shipping product, Humbucker Music will be at more liberty to price the amp accordingly.

As I said though, it's just a guess—maybe they can't go any lower, I don't know. But I'm very interested in this amp, I have requested they notify me when it's available, and we'll see! :)

Orren

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
True.

But—did you click the "need price request" button? You'll notice that the Dual Dark 50 or 100 aren't on their Orange price list yet. My guess? When it's an actual shipping product, Humbucker Music will be at more liberty to price the amp accordingly.

As I said though, it's just a guess—maybe they can't go any lower, I don't know. But I'm very interested in this amp, I have requested they notify me when it's available, and we'll see! :)

Orren

I did after my post. I noticed they have really good prices judging by the OR15, 50, 100 I checked at a few stores. :) There may still be hope! :hbang: