NAMM: Orange Dual Dark 50/100

ectoshock

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
From what it would appear, this is going to be a great amp for metal. I owned a TH100 for over a year, and although I loved the tone, I rarely used the clean. I've heard you can put pedals in the loop to somewhat make a hybrid 3-Channel Type setup, (without pedal tap dancing), but I never really wanted to invest in trying a bunch of pedals out to see if this would be an option. I prefer a basic setup. Head, Cab, a few effects. One can go mad tone chasing, but with Orange, it seems like I can dial in my sound pretty quick and I leave it that way. The TH100 only had 3 knobs, it worked. If you can't find a happy medium, you never will!

I do play cleans, but am more geared to having a gritty light crunch that whips into a heavy distortion. I know it's an Orange, but if it's somewhat how a Peavey 6505+ is laid out with (clean/crunch/lead), with Orange voicing, that would be simplistic and perfect. If this is what this new head has the capability of doing, that's awesome. I've been contemplating going back to Peavey, trying out Randall or ENGL, but knowing I like Orange, I'll stay loyal. Orange Amps arent cheap, but if the head is 2K or less, and does what I'm hoping, my card is already on file :yesway:

warpedsoul

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
From what it would appear, this is going to be a great amp for metal. I owned a TH100 for over a year, and although I loved the tone, I rarely used the clean. I've heard you can put pedals in the loop to somewhat make a hybrid 3-Channel Type setup, (without pedal tap dancing), but I never really wanted to invest in trying a bunch of pedals out to see if this would be an option. I prefer a basic setup. Head, Cab, a few effects. One can go mad tone chasing, but with Orange, it seems like I can dial in my sound pretty quick and I leave it that way. The TH100 only had 3 knobs, it worked. If you can't find a happy medium, you never will!

I do play cleans, but am more geared to having a gritty light crunch that whips into a heavy distortion. I know it's an Orange, but if it's somewhat how a Peavey 6505+ is laid out with (clean/crunch/lead), with Orange voicing, that would be simplistic and perfect. If this is what this new head has the capability of doing, that's awesome. I've been contemplating going back to Peavey, trying out Randall or ENGL, but knowing I like Orange, I'll stay loyal. Orange Amps arent cheap, but if the head is 2K or less, and does what I'm hoping, my card is already on file :yesway:

It def sounds like a promising head. I'm not familiar with the Thunderverb, only the Rockerverb somewhat (Thanks to Jim Root). But from what I saw on Orange about the Thunderverb, and the new Dual Dark, they mention Nu Rock. I know a lot of people laugh at that genre, but most of the music I play is or was once part of that genre (Slipknot, Godsmack, Linkin Park, Staind, etc).

So in the future if I get to play live shows, I will def have a hard time deciding on the Rockerverb (Thanks again Jim Root), the Thunderverb, or the new Dual Dark.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the Thunder compared to the Rocker/Rockerverb. It's a very dark and sludgy sounding head, IMO. More suited for doom stuff.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
It def sounds like a promising head. I'm not familiar with the Thunderverb, only the Rockerverb somewhat (Thanks to Jim Root). But from what I saw on Orange about the Thunderverb, and the new Dual Dark, they mention Nu Rock. I know a lot of people laugh at that genre, but most of the music I play is or was once part of that genre (Slipknot, Godsmack, Linkin Park, Staind, etc).

So in the future if I get to play live shows, I will def have a hard time deciding on the Rockerverb (Thanks again Jim Root), the Thunderverb, or the new Dual Dark.

If you have heard any of Down's last few records, you have heard the Thunderverb. I like both, but the Thunderverb is darker. Rockerverb is more versatile IMHO. But the new voicing on this Dual Dark Terror could be awesome, now I need to hear it.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
I like how Channel B is true to the Dark Terror, and then Channel A is something new entirely. I hope it's a more modern voiced, even higher gain beast.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like how Channel B is true to the Dark Terror, and then Channel A is something new entirely. I hope it's a more modern voiced, even higher gain beast.

Doesn't the Dark Terror already have an insane amount of gain? :lol: The problem I have with it is that it's a dark sounding head, like it's bigger brother.

warpedsoul

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If they make Channel A more modern or US based (Say a Dual/Triple Rec or something along that), then you have channel B with is the Dark Terror/Thunderverb, then I would Pray the the Orange Gods that they make a Jim Root Dual Terror with that channel A and the JR Terror/Rockerverb channel B. Oh gawd oh gawd oh gawd. That would be an end all be all amp.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the Dark Terror already have an insane amount of gain? :lol: The problem I have with it is that it's a dark sounding head, like it's bigger brother.

Yes, I never needed to crank mine more than about 2 o'clock.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score

Nope, I have to run a metal zone and six reverb pedals in front to get it to sound huge.

But seriously. It has a lot of gain, especially if you boost it and have a great axe. I think I was meaning to say that I'd like it to be more modern voiced. I really dig the Dark Terror, but it just doesn't have the headroom that I want. My drummer is a beast.

Oh yeah, it has an Attenuator. Niiiiiice.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
Damn I already have a Dark Terror but I might get this also. It's great that it has a built-in attenuator. Now I have to figure out exactly how to explain to my wife why I need another amp.

Anybody have any idea about the price of the 50 watt version?

cGoEcYk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This concept looks super sweet. The GAS is already brewing (and I hate buying anything at new price!).

The DT circuit has amazing cleans. Total sleeper for cleans. I've tried to dial in the same tone on other pretty good amps (Rectoverb, Genz Benz Black Pearl). Nothing else quite nails it.

I just wonder how different this will be from the TH series. I thought the DT was based on the TH.

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They make one. Its the Orange Rockerverb MK II 50.

I know, but 'part' of the selling-point of the JR Terror is that its a less-expensive rockerverb. I was hoping for a less expensive 2 channel rockerverb rather than buying an actual rockerverb which is pretty darn expensive.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I know, but 'part' of the selling-point of the JR Terror is that its a less-expensive rockerverb. I was hoping for a less expensive 2 channel rockerverb rather than buying an actual rockerverb which is pretty darn expensive.

with which orange would shoot in their own foot, since there would be no reason to by a rockerverb anymore :lol: I know we all want that (i do too) but they aren't stupid.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score

That...didn't make any sense. Why would they make the same amp and just have it be cheaper? I can second the rockerverb costing absurd amounts of money though. I want one. Maybe I'll just have to buy a JR Dark Terror and run it through the power section of my 5150. Profit?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For some people, Country or origin does play a big factor, and the Rockerverb is still MiUK.

Also, a picture from Mr. Fluff.

1689032_278407208974431_482053254_n.jpg

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
They look soooo nice...

Anyone have an idea on the price point? Probably $2k+ like a rockerverb?

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
I found a place online doing pre-orders for the 50 watt version for 1479 English pounds, which is roughly 2500 US.