NAMM 2020: New Decade, New GAS

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Backsnack, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Is it too early to start a NAMM 2020 thread? Only a few weeks away, and it's always fun to start spitballing predictions at what might be and what we'd like to see.

Maybe this thread could also become a resource for good youtube channels to follow for coverage? I primarily followed Henning last year.
    EytschPi42: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrPHxHPnSvHzNNYbJlYoyGQ

2. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

:yesway: I support this thread. Would be nice if we could get first post as a running quick summary of announced things (like a list of one-liners).

3. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I just spent about $800 on 2 pedals in the last month or so, so I don't even wanna look. :)

vilk likes this.
  4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I pre-empted NAMM 2020 buy getting a Kemper. Now I’m poor AND fiddling with my current gear. Haha!

5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Oooh, you didn't want to wait one month for the Kemper app?

Bearitone likes this.
  6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Not sure if serious. And Nah, a physical powered head was exactly what I wanted.

7. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Those are some spendy pedals!

Rest assured after NAMM you’ll likely buy more. :lol:

8. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I’m thinking Line6 is going to release another piece of hardware to expand the Helix line. Maybe something even smaller than the Stomp? I don’t think they’re going to replace/supersede the Helix platform quite yet.

I also predict that we’ll see a big Helix software update that will expand the number of effect blocks for the platforms, since that’s the most requested feature for the stomp.

9. Spinedriver

It doesn't seem like much but in Canada, we spend about an extra 25 cents on the dollar vs US prices. :noplease:
    The 2 pedals I got were a Mooer Preamp Live wich was about $465 and a Boss EQ-200 which was about $390 but they gave me almost what I paid for it at the same store over a year ago. In the States, those pedals are something close to $100 less each.

Overall though, I think I'm pretty close to 'done' in terms of getting decent pedals. For 'drive' I have an MXR 5150, Megalith Delta, Tech 21 GT2 as well as the Preamp Live and a Pod X3, so I pretty much have 'gain tones' locked down. ;) (not to mention the 6 or 7 od/boost pedals I have kicking around)

Other than that, I now have the EQ-200 for tone shaping, Zoom CDR for chorus, Strymon Blue Sky and TC HOF for reverb and a TC Triple Flashback for delay. I don't really do 'synth' or polyphonic stuff so I think I'm pretty much covered. It'd have to be something pretty spectacular (and cheap) for me to really spend any more.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    XPT707FX and Backsnack like this.
  10. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

If you’re just using the CDR for chorus, you might consider swapping it out for a Walrus Audio Julia. Shop around for a used one to save some cash.

Or if you want to keep with the digital multi-mod kind of pedals to have more options, I think an Alxeander Wavelength would be a nice upgrade as well.

11. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I just need another mid range 7 since I traded the RGD for an 8. Any tele or non super strat fiddles under $800 coming out from any brands?

Side note, what's the deal with dudes charging $220 for used SGR C-7's that cost 200 new 6 years ago? Hell I got $135 for mine with a new Dimarzio in the bridge.

12. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Agile is always a good bet for bang for the buck!

works0fheart and Bearitone like this.
  13. Spinedriver

Before I snagged the EQ-200, I was looking at the Boss MD-500 that was $150 off the reg price but after messing around with various choruses on the Zoom, I decided to upgrade from the MXR eq to the Boss because I only really use the "Detune" effect to thicken up the sound a little bit and most of the 500 pedal would go unused.

14. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Ya I was thinking a matching Oceanburst for my 8. I just wanna make sure the color is close. Those are all over the place in shades.

15. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

My oceanburst Agile ended being much closer to sea foam green than blue. Still like the color very much.

16. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Things I wanna see and will immediately go into debt for:

EVH 5150IIIS 50w
    Boss Katana Rack

I'm trying to not look at new guitars because I now have a 6, a 7, and an 8. I'd like to start building my own before I end up buying even more.

17. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

I'd like a reasonably priced Les Paul without weight relief and with '57 classic pickups... that's not likely to get released though

18. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Really curious about that Fortin Sigil amp that was just posted on Facebook.

Looks smaller, still will never be able to afford one short of a 2 year payment plan or something. But it looks cool.

Also wonder if Boss is gonna do a floorboard Katana given the growing popularity of that form factor.

19. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Looks like Ola has an exclusive on the new Revv G20 amp: higher gain version of the D20. Not sure what the price point is going to be on this, but if it's about the same as a D20, it could be a great choice if you only want a small tube amp for recording and home use. IMO, the price of the D20 was too much as just a pedal platform.

I like this trend of new tube amps coming out with high quality built-in load boxes and cab sims. It seems that just about everyone is comfortable enough with using IRs and going direct now and it's becoming a standard thing. Between options like this and high quality modelers, it seems the days of futzing around with micing giant 100+ watt beasts for live use is coming to an end. (Maybe only for the bands who are big enough to have their own amp techs and roadies to lug stuff around for them.)

At the end of the video, Ola says it reminds him of the sound of the Revv pedals. From what I've heard from YouTube, I haven't really liked the sound of the G3 or G4 pedals. However, I think this sounds significantly better than the pedals at first impression.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Flappydoodle likes this.
  20. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

One more prediction for NAMM this year:

I'm hoping Zoom or Mooer or Hotone release some new budget modelers with really high quality amp models and effects that make the likes of Fractal and Line6 nervous. In fact, Plague Scythe Studios mentioned something about a Mooer GE250 that's on the way, which should be interesting.

Competition driving prices down is good for all of us.

Edit: They already announced the GE250

http://www.mooeraudio.com/product/GE250-232.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    WarMachine and XPT707FX like this.