NAD: Total Annihilation

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TedintheShed, May 9, 2020.

1. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

That's it. It's the sound in my head. It is there. This combination destroys. My dogs were hiding in the corner. I was screaming at the top of my lungs with glee and joy. I had the amp cranked to what is probably unsafe levels. I couldn't stop myself. That was it. The sound in my head. Just guitar into amp. Easily attainable...yet so many more.

For those who want to know...

PRS Wood Library. Solid Rosewood neck. Warpigs. Big brass block on the Floyd. Straight into fucking guitar amp nirvana.

Shout out to Randall Pearson and Chondro Guitars. He steered me away from what may have been some very wrong choices.

The Mesa was a childhood dream, but it will be up for sale. It pales in comparison- this thing destroys it.

Sorry for the crappy pic. Engl-Savage-mk2.jpg

Millul, fps, Choop and 26 others like this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

You tried it in a mix yet?

I love ENGLs and ive seen people complain about how they get lost in a live mix. (not that i had this issue before but still)

These and the powerball II's are absolutely insane amps.

3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I’ve never heard that about the Savage, mostly just the Powerball.

Alex79, fps, efiltsohg and 8 others like this.
  4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

The savage may be the most aggressive amp in the iii. It just wants to cause havoc and circle pits :lol:. Enjoy your new amp!

5. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Nice rig!

there's no way a Savage gets lots in the mix. The name fits the amp. Very angry and vicious sounding amp. Especially with that cab. Great stuff!

lewis and TedintheShed like this.
  6. Alexa run my life

Alexa run my life SS.org Regular

Congrats you are making so many people jealous including myself. Sound clips?!

TedintheShed likes this.
  7. TedintheShed

Besides the mic on my phone I have no way of recording. I have peripheral neuropathy so my playing isn't great, but I still love to play for my own enjoyment. I'll be getting a small set up over the next year or so just to capture ideas here and there so I may then.

fps, efiltsohg, Crundles and 5 others like this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

The Savage is apparently the most cutting amp Engl has. It's such an aggressively voiced amp. It's why it, the Blackmore, and E530 (all in the same family) get so much love.

While we're on topic; apparently the "problem" Engl amps are the FB60, Powerball Mk1, and SUPPOSEDLY the Invader.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I mean I always think they all sound great tbh.

Do you think its another example of internet hate. (people preaching opinions as though they are facts - when they are not?)

TedintheShed likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire neuken in de keuken

It's not really hate though. @chopeth owned a powerball iirc and repeatedly mentioned it doesn't do well in the context of a live mix.
    Bulb owned an invader and said it was hard to mix iirc
    At a certain point there are enough complementary opinions that they solidify into truth. Kind of like how anyone that's played a pittbull ultralead says they sound dry as fuck.

Literally no one would say that about the savage. Having heard it in the context of a full band (Necrophagist specifically) it cuts like a motherfucker. I got the chance to play a Mk1 savage at a shop a few months ago and the experience was the same. Very aggressive feeling and cutting sound ime, on par with say a Mesa Mark or 5153.

chopeth, Wolfhorsky and lewis like this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thats awesome! :)

And good news too. I was tempted to pick up an ENGL amp in the past after I bought the E530 and loved it - but didnt and kept with just that preamp in the end because I heard some horror stories about the mids on these heads.
    My ignorant youth probably read those few stories that were amp specific and attributed it to ALL their amps wrongly.

Im not in the need to own a head now but still, good news for anyone else who needs to know this info

12. TedintheShed

This amp has a LOT of tonal versatility, so I'm not sure how one couldn't find a tone that stands out in a mix.

DiezelMonster and lewis like this.
  13. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I think there are some that will dial in a tone they like for use at home and when they then take the amp with those same settings to jam, they get upset that it doesn't work. As a result, they blame the amp for 'not sounding good in a mix' rather than re-eqing it to compensate.
    Back when I first got my Pod XTL, I went through the same thing, I would make a bunch of patches at home and then when I'd hook it up to the power amp at our jam space, it just didn't work. That's why I like using modelers, you can make a pile of patches for home use and a whole seperate batch for live use. With amps, it's almost like you need two seperate rigs, one for practice and one you can use at home.

TedintheShed and lewis like this.
  14. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Congrats! Saw your post at the Chondro's Snakepit. Having an ENGL Sovereign myself (combo version of the Savage SE) I can tell you made the right choice :metal:

BTW, Savage/Blackmore/Sovereigns/E530s are a different thing from other more "modern" ENGL designs, and they cut like a chainsaw. Nothing in common with a Fireball, Powerball, Invader, SE, etc. I actually have to scoop the mids on lead channels!

TedintheShed likes this.
  15. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

More aggressive than a 5150?

16. TedintheShed

"Agressive" is a matter of perspective but this blew away the EVH 5153 EL34 I owned.

17. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Any experience with the Engl SE? I have the EL-34 one, but I do really dig clips of the new savage. Also would be curious how this compares to the older savage special edition or savage.

18. TedintheShed

The only other Engl I ever owned is am Ironball- sorry!

narad likes this.
  19. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

True, the PBI of my bandmate was a huge headache for us to the mix. My 5153 50w ate it, it was impossible for him to be heard, it made a giant ball of boom, we couldn't tell what was the guy playing most of the time. The amp itself alone sounds cool, but in a band context it's completely lost. Fortunately other guy joined the band with a peavey 5150 and now our tone is killer.

20. sonoftheoldnorth

sonoftheoldnorth SS.org Regular

Can confirm the FB60 does not cut AT ALL in a live environment. Owned it for several years, sounded amazing at home but just got totally buried by anything jamming and live.

Always wanted to try a Savage. Anyone had the Artist Blackout? Is it basically the Blackmore, but renamed? (Sorta 6505)