NAD Randall tube goodness!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Vrollin, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

After deliberating for months and months between keep what I had, Randall RH200 G2, get an RG13, go for an updated Randall SS head or a small 20W tube head to suit living in an apartment, I finally found myself in a position to try some amps while I was on holiday and put down the dough for one of these bad boys;

After a week she arrives!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3 channels and boost, win!
    [​IMG]

RD100H baby!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Glowy!
    [​IMG]

Loving this thing! It has great tones at low volume, combined with the MXR 10 band in the loop and its a monster! Barely ran it with any volume, enough to have sore ears but nothing as far as that master dial is concerned! Can't wait to properly crank this thing one day, so far it's a great match with the V30's and G12K100's, depending how crazy I feel down the line I might get myself a nice US made Randall cab to match :)
    Now I need to look into starting a small recording set up, just need an xlr cable and basic interface first so I can use the emulated speaker out, can move onto a couple of mics for the cab down the road...

2. Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock Banned

Very nice! Does this amp need a boost pedal or is the boost on the amp good enough?

3. HearGear

HearGear Active Member

Wow this amp looks amazing, so what about the distortion of the lead channel ? Is it good or just decent, maybe need to hook up an external Boost pedal to be able to get that hi gain kinda metal tones ?

4. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Thats pretty cool, a 3 channel amp with shared EQ and a boost. With the boost you get 6 levels of gain.

Do the channels sound different?

5. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

To be honest I've never had the whole boost pedal and tube amp deal, so I could possibly be missing a world of what is meant to be "better" but I find so far that the channels without the boost feature are more than enough, the boost has that little something to it but in a "bedroom" scenario that I'm in I just havn't reached for it yet.
    HearGear both channels have loads and loads of gain on tap! You simply don't need anything else to get rediculous amounts of gain from this thing. I have channel two on a fairly mild overdrive sound for that gritty clean sound and then channel 3 is balls to the wall dirty. I seriously recommend everyone try this range of amps, I messed around with the 20W version of this, the laney IRT and then this, this made me smile straight away even if I didn't want to spend as much as I did I knew I had to have it!

Pic of the ever growing rig!
    [​IMG]

6. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Its what I always wanted but never had, it was always, clean or high gain channel, so many songs I always tried to roll back the gain by muting my way through it, now I can play along properly :)

I havn't looked into if the channels sound exactly the same in terms of matching the gain the same and testing, pretty much dialed the second channel in for mild od and 3rd for dirt straight up, but the EQ def sounds the same for each.

On a side note, I don't know if I'm 100% digging these 57/66 EMG's when compared to having an 85 in the bridge, has become more apparent since having this amp...

7. HearGear

HearGear Active Member

So this Randall amp has more gain built in than a Laney IronHeart ?

8. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Oooh couldn't say if it does or not, I was only messing with the IRT studio and the EL series tubes were killing it for me, that and the EQ made adjustments where I wanted them on the Randall more so than the Laney. The laney was an awesome package, loads of features, but just wasn't 100% the tone I was chasing. I am hoping Randall do a copycat of the IRT studio next year....
    Bottom line, I just don't get the feeling anyone would need any more gain than this has to offer....

9. HearGear

HearGear Active Member

The Randall has the same tubes as the Laney IRT 120h, the IRT is possible to handle EL34 tubes as well.. so maybe that could make some difference to the sound, more kina like a Blackstar or Marshall sound maybe..

10. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Im all for staying away from EL tubes, they seem to sound great in everyones recordings but in person they dont agree with my ear, much bigger fan of a modern sounding good 6L6 power tube! :shred:

11. HearGear

HearGear Active Member

I see, but maybe there is different 6L6 tubes from different brands, maybe will give a different sound..:D

I am not 100% happy with the Rythm and Lead distortion in the IRT..

12. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

What speakers are you running it through??

13. HearGear

HearGear Active Member

I am using the Laney IRT 4x12 cab with standard speakers in it..

14. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

The ironheart doesn't have the same saturation as peavey amps. It has a more open sound. Put a sd1 in front and it screams.

15. HearGear

HearGear Active Member

Peavey ?

16. rebornself27

rebornself27 SS.org Regular

how is the low end on the Randall rd100 say compaired to a Peavey 6505

17. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Honestly couldn't say, it has plenty of low end, but how much exactly compared to a 6505? That's for someone who can A/B the two to comment on. I have been eyeing 6505's for a while now, and could have save a lot of money getting one, but I went out on a lim to get that fortin sound and without testing a 6505 got this :)