NAD: PRS Archon 25 Combo

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Musiscience, May 27, 2019.

1. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

For the last few weeks, I have been on the lookout for a good tube amp. There was a few things I wanted in the "perfect" amp for my situation:

-Small, portable and lightweight.
    -Capable of sounding good at low volume, but still loud enough to jam with a drum.
    -Simple to set-up a good sound quickly.
    -Not just good, but a great clean channel.
    -A high gain channel capable of both crushing rythm and liquid lead tones.

I finally found all the above in the Archon 25 Watt combo. And it really delivers.

Clean: The cleans a fat, clear and dynamic. The first thing I thought when I plugged in was: so this is what a clean channel is supposed to be? A lot of amps I owned in the past were claiming to have a great clean channel, but sounded really uninspiring and sterile. The Archon, on the other hand, is really "alive" and joy to play clean. Jazz chords sound simply glorious. Also, if you need a more modern clean sound, the bright switch will get you there.

Lead: I heard this amp compared to a refined Rectifier or Ubershall. Could not describe it better. It has a bottom end and grind similar to these amps, but not flubby and not as harsh. Something in the gain make me think a bit of a smoother VH4. Playing chords in drop tuning sounds similar to Adam Jone's tone. The leads are very fluid and "liquid" with a lot of sustain. The channel does need to be set-up for rythm OR lead as this is a 2 channel amp, which can be annoying if you play live. This can be overcome by setting it for a rythm tone and using a boost to go into lead territory.

I think a part of what makes this amp so perfect is that it's very simple. It does 2 things, and it does them extremely well. Some more versatile amps seem to sacrifice tone quality in favor of diversity and this is not one of them. Also, it sounds good with everything set to 12, so much easier to get a good sound than say, a Mark V or a Dual Rec.

It really makes me wonder why the Archon not more popular in the metal community.

If you get the chance to plug into one, do yourself a favor and grab it!

61627733_991741481028568_1040059861536079872_n.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Enjoy!

Musiscience likes this.
  3. Musiscience

Thank! I am, a lot. :)

budda likes this.
  4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats!
    Yeah, based on what I've heard the Archon is a stellar amp due to its really nice cleans and great high gain tones. I want to try one out so bad but I recently moved back to my home town/city and it's not great for guitar gear :-(

Enjoy!

Musiscience likes this.
  5. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Awesome review! I kinda want one of these. I want a combo that sounds good at low volumes. I was also thinking of the carvin v3 2x12 combo, but something tells me it won't sound good at low volumes (no idea though).

6. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

I've never gotten to play one in person, but they seem really cool HNAD

7. Musiscience

They are really great! I bought mine off of eBay for a really low price without having played one before. No regret at all. You should hunt one down online.

I can’t comment on the Carvin but the Archon 25 performs really well at low volumes. The master is great on these!