NAD: My personal holy grail of tube amps. My search is over. Orange Rockerverb III.

migstopheles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i think the main difference between II and III is the attenuator, and a useable reverb. i have a II and the reverb is absolutely mental. cool sounding but you can't really use it for anything except that one thing it does. incredible amps though, every time i do a shootout with soloed guitar tracks, i always choose the rockerverb. sometimes it doesn't make it in a final mix, but it always sounds awesome

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ive always been intrigued by orange amps and thought i wanted one but everything youre saying is making me realize i NEED one!!
Sigh....... Thanks lol

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ive always been intrigued by orange amps and thought i wanted one but everything youre saying is making me realize i NEED one!!
Sigh....... Thanks lol
Dude, they are fucking great, at least this one is. I ran an SD-1 into it earlier and could not believe what I was hearing. This really feels like an amp that has two different sides that are both very usable with or without a boost.

Estilo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What styles do you use it to play through? I've always been intrigued by Oranges but they come across as too stoner rocky-doomy for me. Also, how are the cleans?

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What styles do you use it to play through? I've always been intrigued by Oranges but they come across as too stoner rocky-doomy for me. Also, how are the cleans?

Thing is, that tone is exactly why I bought it. :lol: I mostly play doom, post metal, some black metal here and there. I also do some punk sometimes or Deftones kinda stuff. Now whether that's your flavor not, you have to decide. If you can, find an Orange amp, solid state or what have you, and it will give you an idea of the DNA these amps have.

As for cleans, they're pretty damn sweet. Nice, chimey, and they ring out well. I spend more time on the gain channel, but since I got this amp, I've put more time into playing with cleans.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
UPDATE!

It's been around seven months now and this amp gets better every time I play it. I've been using my PRS Baritone SE 277 with a Nazgul in the bridge and drop B and this amp takes it VERY well, and it sounds monstrous through the Mesa cab. This amp, since I've had it, is doing everything I need it to do and my feelings are still that I haven't even considered another amp since I got this one. Just for fun, I plugged in my PRS SE Custom 24 with a DiMarzio D-Sonic, blade facing the bridge and it being in Drop Db, and it absolutely punches. I even did a bit of a midscoop and it's crunchy as hell, but with the inherent mids in the amp and the cab, being V30's, still had plenty of clarity. I cannot stop singing the praises of this amp, I've said it before, I'll say it a million times more if I say it once, it really is that damn good.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice! I’ve had my eye on these for a while.

I did recently pickup an Orange Super Crush, which supposedly gets pretty close in tone, but i hear that the dynamics and response of the MKlll are just on a different level, though I am crazy impressed by the response and dynamics of the Super Crush.

Awesome that you’re still enjoying it!

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I think if I went back to a halfstack it would be between this and the dean costello model T thing my old bandmate has.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice! I’ve had my eye on these for a while.

I did recently pickup an Orange Super Crush, which supposedly gets pretty close in tone, but i hear that the dynamics and response of the MKlll are just on a different level, though I am crazy impressed by the response and dynamics of the Super Crush.

Awesome that you’re still enjoying it!
I got an Orange Super Crush 100 recently too. How are your settings for high gain? What boost do you use?

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I can honestly say, this has ended my hunt for tube amps, possibly amps altogether
Famous last words :lol:

HNAD! I loved the Mk I RV100 I had. Stupidly sold it and later bought the Mk II and it wasn't nearly as aggressive. Haven't tried the III but I've heard good things!

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got an Orange Super Crush 100 recently too. How are your settings for high gain? What boost do you use?
The settings vary depending on the guitar, but I usually have my treble around 2:30, mids around 9:00, and bass about 4:00.

Gain is around 3:00. Zero boost (not a fan of them).

I’ll probably be getting a Sonic Stomp for the amp, as i think it could benefit from a resonance knob.

SexHaver420

🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️
Reaction score
I like Rockerverbs a lot. I haven't played a Mark III yet. I've played a Mark I and II tho and I liked them. I'd still get a Matamp GT1 over one just because they have more low end and balls and they're built significantly better (not that Oranges are built poorly but modern Matamps are on a different level). The lack of the voice knob like a Matamp or an old Orange has is my only issue with them really. If I somehow got stuck only being able to play a Rockerverb for the rest of my life I certainly wouldn't be upset.

beavis2306

Lusts for gear
Reaction score
I like Rockerverbs a lot. I haven't played a Mark III yet. I've played a Mark I and II tho and I liked them. I'd still get a Matamp GT1 over one just because they have more low end and balls and they're built significantly better (not that Oranges are built poorly but modern Matamps are on a different level). The lack of the voice knob like a Matamp or an old Orange has is my only issue with them really. If I somehow got stuck only being able to play a Rockerverb for the rest of my life I certainly wouldn't be upset.
Would you say there's much difference between the mk1 and mk2? I have a mk2 50w and it's interesting but i never use it. Fine as long as you don't tune down too low and a bit fuzzy/wooly or something

SexHaver420

🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️
Reaction score
Would you say there's much difference between the mk1 and mk2? I have a mk2 50w and it's interesting but i never use it. Fine as long as you don't tune down too low and a bit fuzzy/wooly or something
The clean channel on the mk2 is better than the mk1 but that's all I really remember. I haven't played one in quite a while.