NAD: Mesa Mark V

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarmiester, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

I've never been able to find one of these in person nor any of the Mark series. That day finally came and found myself on my way home with a Mesa Mark V (90 watt 6L6 head) in the trunk. The amp is a beast. It's a little overwhelming to look at. Once I sat with it it really wasn't anything crazy to fiddle with.

The cleans are amazing. I don't really have words to give the clean channel justice. The dirty channels cover an immense range. One of the biggest surprises is that I'd be perfectly content using the amp without any sort of a boost... although I have plenty of OD pedals so that's out of the equation, right? I'm sure everyone is more than familiar with this amp so I'll stop the gibberish and move on to the good stuff.

Pics are attached.

Here's a quick little demo track I put together.

https://areweghosts.bandcamp.com/track/mark-v-demo

Attached Files:

2. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Nice! Channel 2 is great for boosting. You can get more crunch out of the Edge mode, push the Crunch mode into a nice metal rhythm sound, or control the low-end in the Mark I mode.

For non metal tones try the variac setting rather than full power. It helps loosen up things a bit. The V is the tightest Mark amp.

Guitarmiester likes this.
  3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Nice grab! I love mine :D

Everyone loves the Fat mode, but the Tweed mode is the unsung hero for cleans on this amp IMO.

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Right on man. Nice and thick sounding.

5. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Sweet Solos and Beautiful Melodies

Congrats man and HNAD!! Great amps..

6. Nik_Left_RG

Nik_Left_RG SS.org Regular

Congratulations !! I love my Mark V.

7. SSK0909

SSK0909 SS.org Regular

Best cleans on a high gain amp IMO, and the other sounds are fantastic as well :)

But be aware, once youve owned a Mark V you forfeit the right to call modellers fiddly and "more tweaking than playing" ;)

8. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Thanks guys! Cool to see some other Mark V users out there. I'd really like to hear clips of what others are doing with theirs.

Channel 2 covers so much ground. I haven't gotten along too well with Mark I mode yet. Edge and crunch are great. I wish those modes were foot switchable since it's hard leaving it on one vs the other. I haven't used the amp enough to compare full power vs variac. So far, I've been using it in variac mode for no specific reason.

Funny that you mentioned this because fat mode sounds so good I realized I never even tried the other two modes lol. Time to get off the world wide and give them a spin.

I feel like you're quoting me from somewhere since that sounds like something I would/did say :cool:. I was close to buying an AxeFX until the past haunted me with endless fiddling and less playing. I'd still say the Mark V is much more plug-and-play compared to a modeller, at least for me.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

If you had an amp with the clean channel of the V, crunch channel being the IIC+, and lead channel being the III blue/green stripe or IV, then you would have the perfect Mesa Mark.

MASS DEFECT and Nik_Left_RG like this.
  10. Nik_Left_RG

Nik_Left_RG SS.org Regular

Well, most folks don't seem to like Ch 3 but I love it. I don't go by the IIC+/Mark IV/Extreme settings. I just think of them as different flavours. However, after doing a 12AT7 swap of the V6 pre-amp, I adore Ch 3 now. It adds a little bit of sag and wooliness .. Anyway, here is a clip I did few years back :
    P.S. Ignore the sloppiness !

Guitarmiester and BabUShka like this.
  11. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

And two graphic EQs like the JP.