NAD: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Multi Watt.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TedintheShed, Jul 1, 2019.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

V30s+recto (or any mesa) is pretty much the standard combo. What was in the mesa cab? one of the boogie black shadow speakers?

XPT707FX and TedintheShed like this.
  2. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

You mean when I compared it to the Engl? A V30.

But that wasn't using this head, that was with an Ironball. The Engl 1x12 blew out the Mes 1x12

I was thinking about the Orange 2x12 with the Recto.

3. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I had both an Orange 4x12 and a Recto 4x12. With the Rectifier head, I liked the Recto OS 4x12 a lot more than the Orange and I finally cleared my Orange cab out after a 10+ year run a couple years ago. I miss it mostly because it was gorgeous and looked so sick as a piece of a furniture but it just wasn't getting used. I find Orange has increased their pricing too many times and their cabs are very poor value for the money these days.

that said I do like Rectos through Marshall style cabinets, which iirc the EVH cabs have a lot in common with. if the EVH works, just use that.

the Orange is darker and the lows are quite a bit different than a Recto OS cab. Lots of lows, but they are smoother and more even than a Recto cab. Certain notes won't "woof" and stick out like on a Recto cab. The thick grille also makes close micing it a total pain in the ass. I have literally never got a recorded tone I liked out of my Orange, and sound guys struggled with it too.

TedintheShed likes this.
  4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Definitely stick with the EVH cab if you like how it sounds, but there's no harm in trying out the Orange in-store if you can :2c:

TedintheShed likes this.
  5. TedintheShed

Yeah, but I'm probably looking at a 2x12 and not a 4x12- I wish the Mesa 2x12 verticle cabs were wider so the Recto head would fit better.

6. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

the same holds true for the 2x12s - my first ever cab was a Recto 2x12 and my buddy had Orange 2x12s. if anything the 2x12 sounds even darker because it's shooting sound at your feet, so you'd want to angle it back to perceive it as brighter in the room. I've never tried the vertical Recto 2x12 and the dimensions they chose for it are puzzling, to say the least

I really don't think $750 USD for an Orange 2x12 is a fair deal. It's just a speaker cab - made in Britain or not, it just ain't worth it.

viifox likes this.
  7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Orange posted a YouTube video of how they make their cabs, they were getting ripped in the comments for using nailed butt joints rather than finger joints.

8. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

The recto cabs are the absolute best for rectos, hands down. I'm personally not a big fan of the evh 2x12, as it's somewhat harsh at times. The Orange cabs have great low end, but sound muffled.

The recto cabs tend to smooth out any amp. I love them.

Then again, i just might take an evh 2x12 over a mesa 1x12.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  9. TedintheShed

So I followed a lot of the tips. I set up channel 2 as Sakeido mentioned and channel 3 as most of the others mentioned. I am surprised by the versatility of this amp. I can go straight chimney cleans using channel 1 or just roll off the volume. This amp is a keeper for sure!

Thanks everyone! :)

Current set up for reference:

IMG_20190706_161538.jpg

10. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Yeah, just stick with the evh if you feel like nothing is missing. And forget the Orange cabs. They're too directional, and muffled, imo.

11. TedintheShed

Someone offered me an MF400 cab for the EVH. Seriously thinking about it.

12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Try it first.

13. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner SS.org Regular

Did you buy this off of columbus craigslist? If you did, I was real close to buying this same amp when it was first posted but I decided to save up for an axe fx iii instead. Figured I didn't need this and a rev g at the same time lol.

14. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Mode four cabs are very nice, full plywood construction (unlike most other Marshall’s which have MDF back), very solid, and oversized, close in dimentions to the Mesa Recto oversized 4x12. I recently got a MF280 cab (same as MF400 but with modified vintage 30’s) and its very nice.

But it’s a very different cab from the evh. 4x12 vs 2x12, oversized vs standard sized, high wattage modern k100 speakers vs low wattage greenback speakers.

Definitely try it out first.

TedintheShed likes this.