NAD: Marshall Silver Jubilee Studio 2525H! (demo included)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarjon, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

I got my Marshall Silver Studio 2525H in split vinyl recently from Musicstore.de for a good price. I think it was 666,- or something. I finally had some time to play with this amp. I really enjoyed it so I made an in-depth demo as well with a bunch of different guitars, styles and some boost pedals here and there as well.

I really like the look of this limited split vinyl edition a lot. I personally prefer it over the regular grey look but I know that a lot of guys don't like the looks of this version. I dig it's uniqueness. :)

This amp sounds REALLY good and it's probably one of the most versatile Marshall's I own (aside from the JVM). The rhythm pull clip really adds a lot of tonal versatility so that's a big deal! Also on the lead channel despite what some video reviews say. It gives the sound more bark, clarity and tightness when needed. I also have an SC20H and the Silver has much more gain. It's a very full and round kind of gain though with the pull boost off, great for big fat rhythms or leads.

The clean channel is classic Marshall with that great breakup when pushed. This channel can do vintage crunches well though and with the pull rhythm clip you can get some great rock rhythm or lead tones. The lead channel is definitely more in the vintage territory when compared to my JVM but with boost pedals this amp can conjure great crunchy high gain tones!

I think it's definitely one of the more versatile 20W Marshall heads and it has a unique sound. I've tried to capture some great tones in this demo. I also threw in some baritone, 7 and 8-string stuff:

Anyone else have one?

2. Vince

Vince Contributor

Another great video from you. It really shines in the lower wattage, early breakup settings you had there. Your EQ, playing, IRs, and mixing are what's holding that metal sound together near the end. Otherwise it needs a bit more tight gain to really hit the sweet spot for metal IMO.

Great video though, as always.

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Thanks! It's not the most suitable amp for modern metal tones although it can be done with some tweaking and/or boosts. This amp shines with more classic tones as you also said. I especially love the clean tones on this amp. I try to include modern metal tones in all my demo's though since there will always be someone who wants to know how well an amp does those tones. Some pre-eq can also help to tighten the amp up so if you're not shy of using pedals it can do pretty much anything.

Vince likes this.
  4. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Sounds good. I've been debating between the 2553 and this lately, wondering if it's worth the extra $1k or so, but honestly sounds like pretty much everything is already here.

Guitarjon likes this.
  5. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

The preamps should be exactly the same. This one is just smaller, lighter and has less headroom.

6. narad

I don't know, this sort of comparison has me worried in that regard:

Guitarjon likes this.
  7. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

In what way? If you mean sound-wise, the eq and gain controls are powerfull and have a lot of range so it's easy to tweak the sound so that it suits your needs. I agree that in that video the old one sounds a bit better, it's just hard to say why that is. I haven't been able to compare my Jube to any other iteration so I can't really comment on that. I just know that I love mine. Are those old ones hard to find though? Maybe try one of the new ones for yourself?

8. narad

The old ones I'd have to import blindly. There's some of the minis around though.

I mean, going by what I've heard, all the modern ones are a bit bright and fizzier. I'm just not sure if that's tubes, or even necessarily a bad thing. For SSO genres, or for say the last 2 songs in your demo, the reissues might be better.

Guitarjon likes this.
  9. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Since this is a limited edition and I got a lot of questions about it I figured I'd share some more pics. It's a nice head to look at :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

I've been so interested in the Silver Jubilee but never been sure if it can really go heavy. You just proved to me it can, and sound great doing it.

Guitarjon likes this.
  11. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Sure! Especially with a boost!

12. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

The Silver Jubilee is literally the only Marshall I've ever had any interest in.

Guitarjon likes this.
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I actually got to try a Jube briefly. Some dude brought one over when I was selling a cab. It sounded like it could get metal as fuck if you threw an SD-1 in the front to tighten things up.

It's definitely not the most metal amp. It's mostly renown for being a smoother, lead-oriented amp. But yeah, boost it, and it can get a LOT more mean.

Guitarjon likes this.
  14. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Yup! With the rhythm pull clip it can already sound pretty tight but for really aggressive metal a boost does help take it to the next level.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've always kinda wanted to get more into Marshall stuff - this is a sound I could get into. I really like that very first sound from the video.

Guitarjon likes this.