NAD: Laney Content

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TeeWX, Feb 11, 2014.

1. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

Hey everyone!

New amp day today. I was at a Guitar Center returning a broken Mesa that they had sent me and I brought some other old gear that I never use anymore to trade in on something. GC was pretty awesome about the broken Mesa and told me that if I wanted anything new they'd knock off 15% or so. I've been looking for a backup amp to my 5150 and I have always had my eye on an Ironheart and with the discount + my trades I practically got it for nothing. I decided on an IRT60H. I have yet to jam with it but from the few hours I've got on it I was able to get some pretty sick tones so far. The clean channel is absolutely wonderful and the distortion is nice and thick. So far I'm really loving it. My only beef with it is that it doesn't sit perfectly flat which bugs me a little, and the on-board boost doesn't do anything similar to what an overdrive pedal does. Or maybe it's broken? It just makes the lead channel sound worse and flub out. Also a couple of the knobs were put on incorrectly so they were off and I had to pop them off and re-position them on the pots. Anyways... pictures!

Fresh out of the box
    [​IMG]

On top of my 5150
    [​IMG]

Powered on, hooked to my 4x12
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately you can't really use an angled end, so I had to switch to a straight end patch cable
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Nice set! The boost is terrible, it is supposed to act kind of like an OD. I don't think it does anything but add noise on my IRT-Studio, I just ignore it.

3. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

That's unfortunate. It had serious potential to be awesome.

4. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Well the amp itself is awesome, just the boost feature blows in my opinion. I use a modded SD-1 with mine as a boost.

5. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

I agree that the amp itself is awesome. It'd just have made life easier. If you could keep the boost on and have it work just like an OD, and then swap to the clean channel without the boost. I use a stock SD-1 and the clean channel just doesn't work with an OD in front of it... and I hate tap dancing.

6. dedsouth333

dedsouth333 That one dude...

I've got an IRT Studio on the way. I was hoping to hear something better about the boost thing, haha. Oh well, I guess my SD-1 will be seeing more use after all.

HNAD, man! I bet that 60 is mean!

7. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Congrats on the new amp! :)

8. guitarfishbay

guitarfishbay SS.org Regular

The boost is linear, whereas a TS type boost isn't. I agree it is a bit of a missed opportunity. However I did find one good use for it - if you play both humbucker and single coil guitars in the same set you can set the boost to compensate for the drop in volume when using the single coil guitar. I used to use a Les Paul and a Telecaster in the same set and using the boost to raise the level of the Telecaster a bit meant my gain settings would still work when I swapped guitars.

It is normal behaviour for the amp to get flubby if you run the boost really high into a high gain tone. The same thing would happen if you took a linear clean boost and ran it at a very high setting to the front of any high gain amp. There comes a point where too much signal is hitting the amp and then it just gets flubby. Part of the reason why this happens is that since the boost is linear it is also increasing the amount of bass hitting the front of the amp, which is the opposite to what you generally want for metal. A TS works much better because it cuts bass, meaning a tighter signal hits your amp.

Congratulations on the amp!

9. rebornself27

rebornself27 SS.org Regular

Congrats good Sir

10. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

Thanks for the killer explanation of the clean boost! They need to start adding screamer-esque boosts built in :)

11. rick_fears

rick_fears SS.org Regular

Congrats! I love my ironheart. I'm curious how it compares to the 5150?

Unlike most people I actually love the boost. The trick is to be subtle with it. A lot of features on these amps are commonly misunderstood. I keep mine on about 9/10 o'clock. I also use a tube screamer in conjunction. Keeps it tight as shit and it gets heavy.

12. Aztec

Aztec On a perennial quest

I've got a IRT Studio and in my opinion the boost is fine, of course it isn't as good as a nice separate one, but I much prefer the tone with it on than off.

skmanga likes this.
  13. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

The Ironheart of course has a much better clean channel, and seems a lot more versatile in general. I'm able to get a pretty brutal deathcore tone from the Ironheart with my current setup. I really like it for softer metalcore stuff as well. In terms of sheer brutality though I've yet to play an amp that matches the original 5150. It's pretty much a one trick pony but it absolutely slays when it comes to doing it. I have yet to play the Ironheart in a band setting but I will be able to report on that soon enough. The 5150 is an absolute king in that department as it cuts ridiculously well.

Awesome stuff about the boosts guys, I'll have to give it another shot set really low!

14. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

Congratulations!

As a Laney fanboy (VH100 and TT50) I have been controlling myself by not getting an Ironheart.

Every clip I've seen/heard sounded fantab.

Now that they got the IRT30 1x12 out, it is KILLING ME! Yeah I'm a sucker for for a 1x12.

FWIW most 'boosts' less is more from Laney, doesn't surprise me at all. My VH100 gain boost is WHITE NOISE when notes aren't being played if you have the boost level over 1 o'clock.

HNAD!

Derek

15. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

I'm soooo sorry for this but... you should get an Ironheart. I'm blown away by this thing. No wonder Killswitch Engage started using them. They're fantastic amps. I cannot stop playing mine. Without a boost it does a really killer hard rock tone too!

16. tscoolberth

tscoolberth SS.org Regular

I have the 15w Laney Ironheart Studio.

Is the consensus that the SD-1 is the best OD/boost out there? Any other suggestions?

I ditched the Ruby 12ax7 tubes in there and popped in some SovTeks I had laying around. Got a tad more low end but no change in gain.

17. Off_The_Heezay

Off_The_Heezay SS.org Regular

Best thing to do is use the built-in boost for leads rather than tightening up your rhythm tone. Works fine for that.

18. crunch_time

crunch_time New Member

I have a new Laney Ironheart Studio on my way to me from Thomann along with a Harley Benton G112V cab. Just for home use, though. I didnt go with the Laney IRT cabs as from my reading they seem to be the weak point.

Sick of my Roland cube and want nice hi gain tube amp that won't blow away the neighbors.

Also want to try getting into some basic recording and silent practice so feature wise it suits me down to the ground. I just hope I am happy with the tone as there are none in shops here to try out. Just went on reviews and YT demos.

It was either that or the Engl Ironball, but I couldnt justify the price which was nearly double the Laney. I've always loved Engls tones though.

Fingers crossed.

19. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

:agreed:
    They should, and it should be channel selectable and/or assignable.
    They (meaning many amp brands) should have the boost "type" on a mini-toggle (clean or ts-type), and then let you select which channel it applies to.

20. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

It would certainly be a great idea. For any metal oriented amp. But noise gates are a good idea too and amp makers rarely include those. I think its just the extra cost that they feel would deter too many buyers. That and there are a lot of people who dont even know what a boost is. Ive played with some dudes once who didnt get why i had a pedal, and you can't sit there and explain it to someone who's "god tone" is a muddy mess that can't possibly be made out.

That being said, of there was an amp out there with the 3 knob screamer built in (or even just a tone knob and an on/off) I'd be all over it if it got anywhere close to 5150 voicing. It's just so much more convenient and if it's assignable you can actually use your clean channel at the same time without tapdancing. Even better yet, give each channel an fx loop that comes before the preamp. Now we're talking a dream amp...