NAD: It's quite revolutionary!

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Owned one of these years ago and thought it was a cool amp. I've had an alert set on Craigslist for almost 2 years but prices have been insane on Kranks because I think their previous bad rap has kind of diminished with the newer players (plus the current crazy market). Finally saw one pop up for a really good deal, the catch being that the post on the Master 2 pot was mostly broken off (it still works), but since it should be a cheap fix and the price was definitely right, I went for it.

It sounds a bit different from what I remember, but still pretty badass. Have only had time to try it through my Harley Benton 2x12, which is by far my brightest cab, so I'm curious to try it through my Emperor, but I definitely dig it. It's nice having an amp that's built for all our brutal tones again - my Mark IV and MT-15 can definitely do it, but these amps are super percussive in ways that my others really aren't.

That said, I've maintained for years that the Rev+ sounds pretty similar to a Mesa Mark series amp and since I have a Mark IV, I'm really curious to put that to the test, since I don't think I ever actually A/B'd one with it. I will say that the mids on this one sit much lower than I remember but it could just be the cab and guitar I'm using - turns out almost every one of my guitars with humbuckers currently has at least one broken string :lol:

As for the broken pot - since I live in AZ and Tony Krank's shop is only 20 min away, I already sent him an email to get it in for service. I also asked if he does any mods to these as it'd be cool to see his take on any updates he'd do to the circuit!

Attachments

• D4AwmwG.jpeg
    D4AwmwG.jpeg
    995.1 KB · Views: 41

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As for the broken pot - since I live in AZ and Tony Krank's shop is only 20 min away, I already sent him an email to get it in for service. I also asked if he does any mods to these as it'd be cool to see his take on any updates he'd do to the circuit!

I'm also in the area. What's the name of his shop/location/contact info?

On the few occasions I've needed amp work I've gone to Hunt Amplification. Lowell is awesome but he's like 45 minutes away. So someone closer would be great. I have a Carvin TS100 that I suspect may have something wrong with the fan circuit and might need some attention...

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm also in the area. What's the name of his shop/location/contact info?

On the few occasions I've needed amp work I've gone to Hunt Amplification. Lowell is awesome but he's like 45 minutes away. So someone closer would be great. I have a Carvin TS100 that I suspect may have something wrong with the fan circuit and might need some attention...
I’ve had decent luck with Buzz Technical on the West side.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve had decent luck with Buzz Technical on the West side.
Appreciate the lead!

Looks like Tony Krank is at M-Troniks/Superstition Mountain Music in Chandler. I really don't know anything about him though. Always wondered what happened to Krank the company. I remember being tempted by those Rev Jr heads when they first came out. I have a pair of Krank 1x12s I got from a pawn shop here in Phoenix. Guy told me they both had the stock Eminence speakers but when I got them home I found out that one was stock and the other was a V30. Cool little cabs.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Appreciate the lead!

Looks like Tony Krank is at M-Troniks/Superstition Mountain Music in Chandler. I really don't know anything about him though. Always wondered what happened to Krank the company. I remember being tempted by those Rev Jr heads when they first came out. I have a pair of Krank 1x12s I got from a pawn shop here in Phoenix. Guy told me they both had the stock Eminence speakers but when I got them home I found out that one was stock and the other was a V30. Cool little cabs.
Yep, MTroniks. They used to be Downtown Mesa years ago, right next to Milano's, not sure when they moved to Chandler. Tony is a cool guy, I've had him work on a few amps over the years. My favorite tech was in East Mesa, he now has his own pedal company - LPD Pedals. Don't think he works on amps anymore, his business seems to be keeping him busy and is doing really well. He used to have an amp brand called Gearu and he let me borrow his high gain circuit for a few weeks and it was one of the best hotrodded Marshalls I've heard. Not sure what happened to those! Lowell is cool too, but quite a drive for me!

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice, I remember talking to you about these on UG years ago. I had a Rev + and a Kstein + a couple years ago that I ended up selling to make room for proper gigging stuff, but I do miss them from time to time still.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Nice, I remember talking to you about these on UG years ago. I had a Rev + and a Kstein + a couple years ago that I ended up selling to make room for proper gigging stuff, but I do miss them from time to time still.
The Revs are really cool. I, admittedly, have pretty limited experience with the Krankenstein, but I'd love to get my hands on one if I could find it for a reasonable price. The Chadwick I had was a really cool amp, too!

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I had a through hole board component replaced at https://www.jeffsprofessionalaudiorepair.com/ and they did a great job for a fair price since I just brought them the board and took it apart myself etc. It's odd because they also do car audio too. - They no longer do that at SuperstiionTech and M-Tronics, they want you to bring only full units that they open and stuff. When I told a guy there I was just needing someone to solder, he gave attitude and said I'm taking money from his pocket and hung up. It's a real shame because it never used to be a problem and they'd make like $50 in like lke 10 minutes. Now they want hundreds because of taking it apart and back together etc. lame. - What's even more a shame is I had a 20+ years of doing business with them and only really ever did business with Mike (rip) the original owner. He'd be pissed at these guys who run it now honestly. I don't know if they're related or what but they don't respect old time customers like me that knew him and just need a damn quick solder job. It's not hard, I think they're just so swamped with work they can get away with it and need a smack upside the head to snap them out of it, but I will not pay hundreds of dollars for unecessary labor. I told them as long as the solder looks done like normal I wouldn't hold them to the part workng etc. Dude just wasn't having it.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a through hole board component replaced at https://www.jeffsprofessionalaudiorepair.com/ and they did a great job for a fair price since I just brought them the board and took it apart myself etc. It's odd because they also do car audio too. - They no longer do that at SuperstiionTech and M-Tronics, they want you to bring only full units that they open and stuff. When I told a guy there I was just needing someone to solder, he gave attitude and said I'm taking money from his pocket and hung up. It's a real shame because it never used to be a problem and they'd make like $50 in like lke 10 minutes. Now they want hundreds because of taking it apart and back together etc. lame. - What's even more a shame is I had a 20+ years of doing business with them and only really ever did business with Mike (rip) the original owner. He'd be pissed at these guys who run it now honestly. I don't know if they're related or what but they don't respect old time customers like me that knew him and just need a damn quick solder job. It's not hard, I think they're just so swamped with work they can get away with it and need a smack upside the head to snap them out of it, but I will not pay hundreds of dollars for unecessary labor. I told them as long as the solder looks done like normal I wouldn't hold them to the part workng etc. Dude just wasn't having it.

Thanks for the info! Jeff's is another place I've never heard of.

That does seem like they're passing up easy money on jobs like yours. All they gotta to do is have a 1 hour minimum labor charge. Fix your board in 15 minutes and charge an hour. Done.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
Nice! I'd love to see more of these in the wild. They had their weird heyday in the mid-aughts, so they're due for a comeback. FWIW I always thought they sounded badass with a boost.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Every time I've gone into MTroniks, even when they were in their old store in Mesa, they always treated me terribly and their prices were outrageous. Was hoping that might be different now that they've moved and are under new ownership, but sounds like it isn't. That's too bad! They still haven't emailed me back - I used to have Tony's personal email, but couldn't find it this time around. I'm sure he'd give me a better deal straight through him. Oh well!

Thanks for the info! Jeff's is another place I've never heard of.

That does seem like they're passing up easy money on jobs like yours. All they gotta to do is have a 1 hour minimum labor charge. Fix your board in 15 minutes and charge an hour. Done.
For real, I don't know why they wouldn't do this. This is how I quote work when I take freelance stuff and I love to take small gigs because of this exact thing. I generally price based on the project and not hourly, but if it's small, I'll do hourly because the client ends up with a better deal most of the time and I end up with more money for the amount of time I put into it :lol:

Nice! I'd love to see more of these in the wild. They had their weird heyday in the mid-aughts, so they're due for a comeback. FWIW I always thought they sounded badass with a boost.
Agreed! They were honestly super underrated. Their shenanigans on Harmony Central really killed their reputation and I don't think they ever really recovered from it, unfortunately.

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
I always thought the Revs sounded pretty great! At least for high gain stuff. Midsy and grindy, probably not too far off from a 5150, but I think they have a little bit more of a chainsaw grit to them haha. I had a Chadwick at one time and it had a really good modded JCM 800 kind of sound, too.

guitar_player4_2_0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought it was a Krankenstein at first lol. To be honest I don’t really remember this model. Kranks we’re all the rage for like 4 years then they just totally dropped off it seems. Can someone fill me in on the bad rep these things have? Are they American? That’s the impression I got when Dime was pushing them but I never checked into it. Kind of a side note, do any modelers do any Kranks? I know the Helix doesn’t but that’s all I’ve used. They seem to be a very forgotten amp, and I don’t really get it. You should def make a vid, and congrats!

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kind of a side note, do any modelers do any Kranks? I know the Helix doesn’t but that’s all I’ve used. They seem to be a very forgotten amp, and I don’t really get it. You should def make a vid, and congrats!
Fractal doesn’t either. My Vypyr 60 has a K-Stein model. I have no idea how close it is.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I always thought the Revs sounded pretty great! At least for high gain stuff. Midsy and grindy, probably not too far off from a 5150, but I think they have a little bit more of a chainsaw grit to them haha. I had a Chadwick at one time and it had a really good modded JCM 800 kind of sound, too.
Same, I think the Revs were really slept on, though. Everyone into high gain seemed to try the Krankenstein because of its relationship with Dimebag and they were definitely a love/hate type amp. The Revolution series was great and I loved my Chadwick as well. Really wanted to try the Nineteen80 but never got a chance to before they shut down. The Jr (lunchbox) amps were really ahead of their time though, if they had those amps around now, especially with their awesome mini cabs, they'd probably be one of the best selling tube amps around.
I thought it was a Krankenstein at first lol. To be honest I don’t really remember this model. Kranks we’re all the rage for like 4 years then they just totally dropped off it seems. Can someone fill me in on the bad rep these things have? Are they American? That’s the impression I got when Dime was pushing them but I never checked into it. Kind of a side note, do any modelers do any Kranks? I know the Helix doesn’t but that’s all I’ve used. They seem to be a very forgotten amp, and I don’t really get it. You should def make a vid, and congrats!
The Revolution was their original flagship model and the original amp Dimebag endorsed until his signature model came out. Once Dime signed on, their marketing was really swayed towards his amps, which I think was probably a bad thing for them as they were very polarizing amps. You either loved them or you hated them and if you weren't a big Pantera fan, you probably assumed that Krank didn't have much for you. A lot of people didn't like their name or logo styling and dismissed them as toy amps.

They were all American made here in Tempe, AZ (at least the original ones, I'm not sure what happened toward the end as I stopped playing for a bit then). Their cabs were solid pine construction and easily some of the best I've heard - the Rev cabs came with Eminence Legends, the Krankensteins had Texas Heats. They also had the Jr cabs (1x12s) with the same loadouts. I think they made 2x12s, but they were custom-order only, aside from the combos.

Their initial bad reputation came from them telling their employees to post good reviews on Harmony Central. Someone found out, they admitted to it and it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. A lot of people also (wrongfully) associated the Dimebag tone they knew from the Pantera albums with the Krankenstein and assumed it sounded like ass and instantly dismissed them. I don't think Dime ever actually used them on a recording. From what I know, the Krankenstein was approved just days before he was murdered. Much like Dean, they basically coasted off the endorsement from Dime for their entire marketing campaign after that, which is unfortunate, as they had a lot more to offer.

I wasn't aware of any modelers having one, but I guess I'm wrong, since @Deadpool_25 says it's in the Vypyr!

I have an old recording of the one I owned years ago here when I used to do recordings of all the amps I'd get for comparison: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0zp2zo4vhsqxww/Rose of Sharyn - Krank Rev+2.mp3?dl=0 - this is no boost, just straight in with an SM57. IMO it sounds a bit hollow here though. I'd likely EQ it differently now, but also keep in mind that I uploaded this in 2010, so the tones people would've been going for back then are probably a bit different than they are now!
Fractal doesn’t either. My Vypyr 60 has a K-Stein model. I have no idea how close it is.
Interesting! I forgot those had that model. Now you need to buy a Krankenstein and find out...

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
As everyone has said here, they had a bad rep based on the Dimebag tone association and they were handing out endorsements like candy at the beginning, which can sometimes cheapen a brands image.

The turning point came, possibly even after they were out of business, when Andy Sneap stated that he's used a Rev in his studio although his advise is to re-tube them because the stock tubes were a factor in why they didn't sound so great to some people. He still has a pair of Revs, Krankensteins and at least one of their cabs (re-speakered with V30's I believe)

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know two people that still play these (one Rev and one Krankenstein), and they're the argument for how things that work for some people just don't for others. I could never get a tone out of anything of Krank's that I tried that I could live with. Nevermore sounded the worst they've ever sounded when they were using them, but for some people they just work.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
For real, I don't know why they wouldn't do this. This is how I quote work when I take freelance stuff and I love to take small gigs because of this exact thing. I generally price based on the project and not hourly, but if it's small, I'll do hourly because the client ends up with a better deal most of the time and I end up with more money for the amount of time I put into it :lol:
It's because they can pick and choose work they're so backed up with work and don't want people blaming them for messing up the board. The thing I don't get is when you tell them you won't blame them as long as they do a good solder job and are careful with the board etc they still don't want the easy $50 for a 15 min job. Oh well.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I know two people that still play these (one Rev and one Krankenstein), and they're the argument for how things that work for some people just don't for others. I could never get a tone out of anything of Krank's that I tried that I could live with. Nevermore sounded the worst they've ever sounded when they were using them, but for some people they just work.

Aren't Kranks (I believe Krank Revs) only used on This Godless Endeavor? If that's their worst tone, then that's still a pretty damn good tone.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Last edited: