NAD: Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 40 Deluxe (kind of a bummer)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MetalHex, May 24, 2019.

1. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I actually have a Bad Monkey. It is great. I was using it along with my other stomp pedals before i switched to a Boss Gt-100 that I use in 4CM for clean+chorus. I got this H&K amp because I wanted even more simplicity than that. I didnt want cables and adaptors and pedals all over the place. (Which is why in a live situation, I really wouldn't want to even bring one little extra pedal. I dont know why I'm just finicky like that and am worried that the more equipment = more things that can fail during a show.) I know its silly.

You're absolutely right about the onboard boost in that it doesn't seem to cut bass the way the BadMonkey would. That's why it had me puzzled. By level boost, what does that do exactly? (I will google it in the meantime), but is that like a volume boost? Because it does make a difference, just, like you said it doesn't cut the bass.

About the KruseKontrol amp guy, could he possibly integrate the type of boost I want into the amp I wonder? (Just a question incase someone happens to know off-hand).

2. Roadsterjosh

Roadsterjosh SS.org Regular

Honestly it sounds like you are making yourself a perfect candidate for a modeling solution. You only want a cable and an amp for simplicities sake, and there are very few solutions that can give the modern metal player that.
    You have the boss gt pedal, so you could use it into the fx return of any backlined amp and it wouldn't matter or send the house a cable and rely on a sound guy to give you and the crowd a mix.
    You should also look into just simplifying a rig that gives you a great core tone and a few pedals that give you the fx and colors you want to add. Spend money on a quality power supply and cables. You'd be all set with a good rig that is reliable, easy to set up, and gives you the sound you're after.

TLDR;
    Learn to simplify a basic rig, buy quality pieces, and play some shows.

3. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I need dat raw tube tone though ;) The gt100 doesnt have gain tones I care for.

I would have to spend at least $2000 I would guess, for a good modeler and a poweramp if i wanted really good tone.

4. Roadsterjosh

I don't know that the HK gives what anyone would call a raw tube tone ;)

You could look into older legacy units. I have a Vetta 2 combo that I like, it doesn't compete with the Kemper or Axe Fx, it can also be found from 350 to 550.
    I am a tube guy, and while I have some modeling gear collecting dust I would rather fire up my tube gear 95% of the time. I don't gig anymore, but wouldn't hesitate to tour with a full pedal board and tube head rig.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  5. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Well now that you said that you must clarify. Dont make me second guess myself haha.

6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

That meister series uses a bunch of ss gain stages. At least the smaller tubemeisters do.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  7. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

For gigging, I don't believe this at all. Grab an HX Stomp, a Powerstage 170, and whatever cab and you've got a solid rig that'll do any tone you need. One out to the Powerstage and the other to FOH.

I know you're keen on tubes, but it doesn't get lighter or simpler than something like this. You can save the big glass for the studio. A live audience won't be able to tell the difference.

8. Roadsterjosh

I have extremely limited experience with the amp, so it is all conjecture. But I would say that I found it to be a HIFI sounding somewhat sterile amp. Not that it was bad, but not a raw sound. When I think raw I think Rectifier, 5150, JCM800, or SLO type amps. The HK falls into a cleaner approach to the way it delivers tone to my ears, whether it was me playing it or any clip I have heard. It just doesn't do a metal tone that made me want to bring one home, but I buy into everyone having their own approach and tone to express their art.

Don't let any of us on this or any other forum talk you out of something you used your ears to find. Your liking your gear and sound is way more important that any one of us.
    All I was trying to do was guide you to open up your seemingly strict parameters of guitar, cable, amp. It doesn't sound like you are looking for that type of sound, even if you want that type of rig.

9. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Just buy a 5150.

Beheroth and Roadsterjosh like this.
  10. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Really? I did not know that. I dont remember readinf that in any of the descriptions....not that its a selling point. However I did see that in the tech specs either, I just assumed it was all tube.

Yeah I have limited experience with modelers, let alone good ones like the stomp is supposed to be.

Well there would be some sort of foot controller between the guitar and amp in any situation for my needs. I guess I dont know what I want yet since were not even gigging yet. Haha. It sure is a learning process, and it's never done! Everything is subject to change. I just want to make sure that this is what I really want before the 30 day return period is up! Thanks.

11. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Already got one. Well a 6505+

Still contemplating the Invective....

12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Just buy a 6534+

Beheroth and MetalHex like this.
  13. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

You can ask for a pick recommendation and Budda will still tell you to buy a 5150.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

When the Peavey 6505MH, PRS MT15, and EVH mini line exists, I see no reason why anyone would bother with the H&Ks. They seem very underwhelming.

Wolfhorsky and Roadsterjosh like this.
  15. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

I dont know....ive never had a 15w amp in a live situation before....are they loud enough to bring down the house? Do their high gain sounds get crappy at live volumes? What do they have to offer that the H&K doesnt? None of those have built in FX like delay and chorus, none of those have a built in gate, while the HK does, and it has very good cleans. So besides maybe having an (arguably) better high gain sound, what else do those amps have to offer?

All opinions from experienced users of multiple kinds of gear are welcome, as help me think of things maybe I havent thought of yet. So please do tell.

16. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

I would stay away from lunchbox amps that use el84 tubes. They do not hold up well in live volumes. They sound great for jamming and recording get thin and shrill at loud volumes, though if you go direct they can work. The PRS MT15 I haven't tried yet but that one might work. It uses 6l6 tubes and nice sized transformers. There was a video with the designer saying that he would only have to change a couple of components and it would be a 50 watt amp.

17. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

They're not, but they're not aimed at the metal market like the others.

18. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

You have modern or OS cab?

19. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

According to the 30 inch height spec, its the traditional. Its alsp a slant cab.

Maybe i just need to try my bad monkey in front of it. Although it would be optimal to not need any extra pedals other than the foot controller.

20. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

OK just checking. Those OS cabs are great for punching you in face with an A chord in standard tuning... but suck for detuned modern metal.