NAD: Fractal FM3

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Musiscience, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

I'm going to make this as short as possible, because everyone has heard about these. It's basically an Axe Fx iii in floor format with less processing power. It's still very hard to reach that CPU limit unless you really try to specifically.

It sounds absolutely terrific in all scenarios. The cab IRs are great and you have more than 2000 of them in the box. I use the device with cab sim bypassed in a 212 (v30) using a Mooer Baby Bomb. I did some AB with my Archon and the FM3 sounds and feels like a tube amp. No way someone would tell any difference blindfolded. The difference is that you can dial in a Bassman if you want to play some Chuck Berry, crank the power section of a plexi for some EVH or boost a recto or etc. instead of being limited to a few sounds. This can be overwhelming, but as long as you know what you are going for, it's very satisfying.

The switching systen is well thought out. Long press for menu options or next page, quick press to select. Very usable live, but you might need an additional controller if you like more control over your effects. I do find that with the 8 scenes per preset you don't really need to switch the effects directly, you can just make a preset per song with a scene for intro, verse and etc that switches the state of all effects and parameters as needed.

Quality is second to none, built like a tank.

Edit: typos are my nemesis.

20201106_065953.jpg

Randy, MSS, odibrom and 14 others like this.
  2. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

Fucking love mine :yesway:

oremus91, Deadpool_25 and Musiscience like this.
  3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Hell yeah.

Musiscience likes this.
  4. Musiscience

It's great, isn't it? It's been for ever since my last modeler experience and I'm not disappointed!

5. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

It's nice to live vicariously through others who can actually afford the cool stuff.. ;) Looking forward to some potential sound samples.

Crundles, SloeGin and Musiscience like this.
  6. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Congrats man

Musiscience likes this.
  7. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

This thread is brought to you by @budda

8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I got my FM3 a couple weeks ago and it's amazing. Haven't really played around with the switching yet though so I guess we'll see how that goes once I start heading out to the studio again.

FM3 Edit sucks though. The UI design is fine — I don't have a problem with that. However, I don't know how they implemented the communication protocol over USB, but it is so laggy and unresponsive at times, and inconsistently so. Sometimes it's snappy and other times it's not. My computer is pretty beefy so that's not an issue. Especially compared side by side to the Helix editor, it's a bit of an embarrassment. When it works it's awesome though.

Musiscience likes this.
  9. Musiscience

I know that the other fractal products have the same issue when plugged to Axe edit. For my part, as long as the switching on the unit itself works fine, I'm not too bothered by this. Let's see if it gets a fix anytime soon with a firmware update.

10. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Congrats! I love my FM3. It’s excellent however I run it. If I run it into an amp FX return it absolutely feels like I’m just playing through a regular amp’s pre/power amp sections. And it’s awesome just through my monitors as well.

Musiscience likes this.
  11. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

That's disappointing. I never had any major issues with the Axe-Edit communication on my Axe-Fx Standard or 2 but my understanding is that they've overhauled how it works for the Axe-Fx 3/FM3. I'd try a different port, e.g. USB 2 port instead of USB 3 and see if it makes any difference. Avoid USB hubs if possible.

12. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I also picked one of these up (because of budda, bastard). Fantastic unit and I’ve basically just ran through the presets

The SG King and Musiscience like this.
  13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Thanks for the quick and simple review. Very helpful if I end up not liking the QC, as this was my top choice until the delays began.

Musiscience likes this.
  14. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

:flex: its just a great piece of gear. Had my tour rig turned into an fm3 and powerstage 700 (or two pedalbabies) i would have been ok with it.

15. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby SS.org Regular

I just got my invite today. I need to get it ordered.

Deadpool_25, budda and Musiscience like this.
  16. Musiscience

Do it! You won't regret it. It's been said often, but the reverbs alone are worth the price.

17. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Yeah, I don't see why USB 3 would have any issues as it's fully backwards compatible but I don't have any USB 2 ports anyway. Using different ports or moving it off the hub didn't make any difference, which I didn't expect it would anyway.

18. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

This is straight up not true. Long time Fractal user. IMHO. Must be FM edit specific that unit has had some growing pains.

19. Musiscience

Well, it might be worse in the FM3, but there was always delays while editing using Axe Edit with the Axe FX II I had. Nothing I that ever bothered me anyway. Anyway, I surely don't appreciate the lying accusations.

20. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Since my AFX 2 XL+, I’ve noticed some lag when switching presets and such while the unit is connected to Axe Edit. Not sure you guys are talking about the same thing though.