NAD - EVH 5153 50s

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by NinjaRaf, Jul 15, 2020.

1. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Ho. Lee. Fuk.

So, I preordered this motherfucker in March, and it finally got here today haha. I am glad I didn't cancel and buy something else because its pretty fucking sick so far. Its only been here about 25 minutes, but figured I would throw this together since I already had this recorded with the same mics on the 5152.

This is each amp through my Avatar 212 with Redbacks, mic'd with an e906 and Heil PR30 into my Audient ID44...the usual shit.

Peavey 5150II: https://app.box.com/s/1bc6d0y61d7olrdcxme29xvjkk80bknj
    EVH 5150III 50S: https://app.box.com/s/io46lgr5990clncwpteefpn0wbczjp0c

[​IMG]

I had a regular 50 watt, a Kruse modded 50 watt to Stealth specs, and a 100 watt stealth. The 100 watt stealth was killer, but I couldn't justify it at the time because I was between jobs. The 50 watt was not really my thing. Very polite sounding. The Kruse sounded very bloated in the low end and hard to control. This is better than the regular 50 watts in every fucking respect. Clean channel is better and chimier, blue channel has enough gain for me to be happy with rhythm stuff on it, but the low end is a bit looser. It actually reminds me a LOT of my Archon in that respect, which I am pretty happy about because that extra whatever is happening in the low end seems to lend itself to recording VERY well...so I am excited to try that too. The red channel has so much fucking gain its absurd haha. I have the gain turned down 2 notches below half hahaha...and it might still be a LITTLE too much, but we will see.

The low end is tight but not like the 5152. The 5152 I feel like has no give in it, which is one of the things I love about it. This has a LITTLE bit of give, which surprisingly, is one of the things I like about this one! haha. It sort of feels like the low end sits between the 5152 and the 5150, but maybe closer to the 2, or even more accurately, very similar to the combo.

Overall the amp is brighter than the Peavey given similar settings. The presence control is MUCH more responsive than the Peavey. The resonance control works like I expected I think, but the amp has a lot of low end naturally, so I'm finding I need to keep the resonance around half way or it gets a little boomy with where I have the low control set.

This amp is aggressive as fuck. Maybe more so than the Peavey, but in a very similar way. Not like the regular 50 watt, that has a much more polite sound to it in general. This has that aggression that I am used to from the Peaveys. It does take that tone up a notch...its clearer and more defined. People say its like the regular ones are the 5150s that grew up and have jobs and shit and whatever...well this is like the 5150 that grew up to be a murderer in a biker gang and will fuck your mom in the eye hole without even giving a shit.

Anyway...so far, I fucking love this amp. I am really glad I waited for this thing to get here. Well worth it. Highly recommend.

Also did this the other day.

https://app.box.com/s/yegqsdtpa38dnvwolk8jum7r1zbmcs94

And a comparison between the Blue and Red channels.

Blue channel: https://app.box.com/s/ufgmesjbq1i2jvv7k7q27biffxvwnoac
    Red channel: https://app.box.com/s/s1q2blpb3rceimfqsaguj9yvc9a77eoh

2. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Niiice. That definitely sounds huge. What pickups are you using with the 50S? I was thinking of getting it but most of my pickups have a lot of bass.

3. Decapitated

Decapitated Loser

4. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

sounds great as always Raf!!!!!

5. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Thanks dudes!

The Blue/Red comparison was an MCP Nuke. The first 2 clips were also the Nuke. The other clip in the middle was MCP Afwayu.

6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Awesome stuff and good news about clean channel!!

7. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

The Blue channel on the 50w Stealth is almost like a Red with all that gain. Sounds like you dont need an OD anymore.

Estilo likes this.
  8. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Yeah, clean channel is great!

Blue channel has enough gain for metal, but its not as tight. I never used an OD on anything anyway.

Red channel gain settings have been around 4 on the dial. It has an absurd amount of gain haha.

9. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Dope! I used to have the Stealth 100, but actually ended up liking my 6505 more. Definitely want to try one of these Stealth 50watts though!

10. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Btw, how similar is the clean channel to the 100w Stealth? Does it break up really soon? The clean channel on the 100w was awesome when dimed!

11. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Its been like 6-7 years since I had the Stealth 100, so its hard to say. The overall tone is similar, I would say. Not sure on break up...I like my cleans clean, so haven't tried cranking the gain or volume on it.

I still have a 5152, but I am liking this a lot more.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

IIRC one of the things about the 5153S was that the clean breaks up much sooner than the original one. Given you like these cleans, I'm guessing they stuck with the regular 5153 cleans.

13. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Could be, but I don't really know.

The clean channel is set up with the gain at 9 o clock, and the volume at noon, and at band practice this has been clean with no break up.

Dineley likes this.
  14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, as I said on GGF, your clips of this sounds great. I love the low end thickness, I pretty much keep my lows and res at 10 on the normal 6L6 model to get that kind of low end. I love the low end, but also how it is kind of hollow in the lower mids or something to make the lows really stand out. That is my favorite part of the 5150 sound. I thought about grabbing an old 5150 II to go with my III 50W, but it sounds like this could cover that territory.

15. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Thanks dude. Yeah, this one can definitely cover what the 5152 is doing. My resonance is about half way, and lows are around 6.

16. beavis2306

beavis2306 Lusts for gear

That does sound really good, congratz. I'd be curious to know the differences between the 50 and the 100. Can't bring myself to get the smaller versions if there's a 100 available.

17. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

They are fairly similar. I like the size and weight of the 50 watt for playing shows. Not like Im playing stadiums, but my band usually plays once a month, virus aside, and practices once a week at my drummers house. The 50 watt makes life really convenience, especially with a 212.

beavis2306 likes this.
  18. beavis2306

beavis2306 Lusts for gear

Yeh fair enough, i just found that the 100 equivalents are generally just a bit fuller. Was the 100's volume unmanageable for loud bedroom levels?

19. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

I have found that with the Peaveys, though the 5150 212 is my all time favorite amp...until now, MAYBE?

When I had the 100 watt, it was $1500 and my entire department at work was laid off, so I was between jobs. Decided I just couldn't justify a $1500 amp at the time. That was early 2014...so that also tells you how long its been since I played the 100 watt. But I don't remember the volume being absurd or anything, at least for dialing in bedroom volumes. The Peaveys definitely need more volume to sound good than the EVH amps. Luckily, now that we are in a house I don't have to worry about that, and I can crank to whatever the hell volumes I want whenever I want.

Mike_R, beavis2306 and Boofchuck like this.
  20. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

The 100W is manageable longs you don't accidentally twitch when using the volume pot :) Still more manageable than the PRS MT15 though believe it or not.

beavis2306 likes this.