NAD EVH 5150 Take 2 xD

AussieTerry

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can only afford to have 1 amp at a time and although I love Orange, the Dual Dark 50 was not giving me what I wanted.

So i sold it off, the previous I had was the V1 5150 which I was always gonna sell off for a V2.

Well the V2 day has finally arrived, A clean channel that stays clean while the blue channel is pushed xD

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221203-180433_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221203-180433_Gallery.jpg
    914.9 KB · Views: 47

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
congrats!!!!

i love mine and would love to get another. i dont get why more companies arent doing a 50w head in that size headshell. aside from that though its just a fantastic sounding amp for many different genres.

AussieTerry

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
congrats!!!!

i love mine and would love to get another. i dont get why more companies arent doing a 50w head in that size headshell. aside from that though its just a fantastic sounding amp for many different genres.
Yeah a big thing for me is how easy it is to move this amp around, in a few years i'll be 40 and omg tge Dual Dark 50 killed me xD

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats man! You know I love my 5153s. I think they have excellent tones on all three channels and are super easy to dial in. The concentric knobs make it basically perfect imo.

AussieTerry

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats man! You know I love my 5153s. I think they have excellent tones on all three channels and are super easy to dial in. The concentric knobs make it basically perfect imo.
Yeah when I had the V1 i planned all along to use that as a sample amp to see what the 50w was like, I was always gonna end up with a 6L6 xD.

My only problem is for some reason people here dont like to sell their amps with power cables or footswitch cables so i need to get both xD.

Im using the power cable from my Captor X for it atm and because im using the TS cable from my OD I cant get that sweet boosted bkue channel sound ;( but OMG this thing sounds amazing being a year old compaired to the dull well used tubes of the V1 i had.

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah when I had the V1 i planned all along to use that as a sample amp to see what the 50w was like, I was always gonna end up with a 6L6 xD.

My only problem is for some reason people here dont like to sell their amps with power cables or footswitch cables so i need to get both xD.

Im using the power cable from my Captor X for it atm and because im using the TS cable from my OD I cant get that sweet boosted bkue channel sound ;( but OMG this thing sounds amazing being a year old compaired to the dull well used tubes of the V1 i had.
Just in case you don't know, the footswitch cable has to be speaker cable (to avoid problems), not instrument cable.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm using an instrument cable with no problems.
Interesting. I tried an instrument cable and it didn't work at all. I thought that was weird because I thought that was one of the selling points of these amps. Never occurred to me to try a speaker cable. Maybe I'll try both again.

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm using an instrument cable with no problems.
To quote Howard Kaplan directly:

"For the 50W footswitch DO NOT use an instrument cable as the center conductor is small gauge and if longer than a few feet may have too much voltage drop to operate properly. Use the cable that came with the amp or a speaker cable if the original is misplaced"

So instrument cable can work, but can also cause problems depending on the cable used.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice, I just got one too in black. Got the best deal I ever did on an amp.

At first I found the red channel useless. But if you dial the gain wayyyyyy down it can do some pretty good scooped tones. Got the idea from a lambchopper678 video.

It’s pretty crazy how much gain this amp has on the blue and red channel. Seems like you gotta keep it way under noon. I have the red channel almost off (an hair under 8pm) and the blue at 10pm or so.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice, I just got one too in black. Got the best deal I ever did on an amp.

At first I found the red channel useless. But if you dial the gain wayyyyyy down it can do some pretty good scooped tones. Got the idea from a lambchopper678 video.

It’s pretty crazy how much gain this amp has on the blue and red channel. Seems like you gotta keep it way under noon. I have the red channel almost off (an hair under 8pm) and the blue at 10pm or so.
Put a 5751 in V1. Lowers the gain juuuust enough imo.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice, I’ll look into it. Got any advice on boosts? I’ve tried the usual suspects so far.
I use a Maxon OD808 with mine on the blue and red channel, with the gain and presence turned down quite a bit. Presence is at just shy of 10 oclock and blue channel gain is at 1:30ish and red channel gain is at 9 oclock. It doesnt really need it on the red channel, but it adds a little extra saturation and colors the tone quite nicely. I recently switched from a peavey 5150 to a evh 5150 6l6 50 watt gen 2 and its been a perfect amp for me. I did need to change the power tubes and biasing it was quite annoying since you need to take the amp out of the shell. The next time my power tubes start to die, i will have it modded to add an external bias trim pot and testing pots, but thats all it will ever need, tbh.