NAD: Engl Fireball 25

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheInvisibleHand, Jul 19, 2020.

1. TheInvisibleHand

TheInvisibleHand SS.org Regular

A little background:

After spending the better part of this year trying far too many amps searching for "THE" sound, its no surprise that I came back to ENGL. I had an ironball at the beginning of the search that I really loved, but GAS got the better of me and I went through:

-Mesa Mark V:25: Best cleans broken cleans I've ever played. Wasn't a fan of the dirty channel

-Mesa Express Plus 5:25: My foray into the idea of a pedal platform amp. Kept it because it has 2 of the best clean channels I've ever heard. Apparently the "plus" version of these amps is based of the Lonestar, so it's not shocking that these are so damn good.

-EVH 5150III 6L6
    -EVH 5150III EL34: tried both versions. Previous amp before all of this was a 6505+. Just could not get on with these, which felt like heresy. I really wanted to given the high praise of these amps, but didn't enjoy something about them.

And so I found myself back with ENGL. I was about to pull the trigger on the 100 watt version, but when early reviews about its little brother began to hint at how indistinguishable this thing was from its brethren, I was enticed.

TLDR: this thing is exactly that. Its all the hallmark ENGL goodness in a smaller, more feature laden, and less espensive version. Its very aggressive but also still very musical. It has enough punch without a boost, but sounds so damn tight with one. I am sure that the full sized tubes have a lot to do with this, but I HIGHLY recommend considering this amp against anything else in the sub 1500$ category.

Attached Files:

Alex79, Apex1rg7x, 0rimus and 5 others like this.
  2. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I adore my fb100 but omg i want that fb25 with the little matching 1x12 cab, ADOOOORABLE!!! lol

3. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Yeah I want one of these for sure.

4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It definitely seems like putting the big power tubes in these baby amps is the key to them not sucking, lol. It seems like all the ones with 6L6s are definitely better sounding.

5. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

i love my fireball, it so brutal. It is the 60 watt version but I threw some JJ 6v6s in there. ENGL bias is super low, and even with the 6v6 I am around 60 % of max plate current. The 6v6 is a 14 watt tube and the amp is running around 450 volts. The max plate current I could get with the bias pot all the way up was 19 or 20 milli-amps. I am also only making like 30 watts which is great, and the cleans were improved without sacrificing anything on the lead channel.

wakjob likes this.
  6. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Congrats! I loved the FB100 and often think of revisiting one. It's in my top 5. Might have to look harder at the little guy.

7. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

How does it compare to the Ironball?
    Is it a very dark amp?
    I have an Ironball and find it a bit dark sometimes.