NAD: Boss Katana Head

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bentaycanada, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

I played a Katana 50 combo before and was very impressed with it. I wanted to try the head version as I have a sweet EVH 5150 III 212 to run it through.

I picked up a head on rental today and I’m just as pleased as with the combo. I only ran it at 50w, but I instantly loved the way the Master and Volume interact, just like a tube amp!

The channels are very good, great dynamics for a digital amp. It’s very easy to dial in. It’s annoying it doesn’t come with a footswitch, but I can work around that for now.

With the EVH 5150 III 212 cab, it’s a very sweet combination. Great for classic to hard rock / metal. Round, thick tone that has great cut, and a slight vintage feel.

I’m going to hook it up to the Mac tomorrow to get a bit deeper with the tones and my 4 channels.

For the price these can be had, they’re insane quality and I think might still be the best guitar product of the last decade.

AkiraSpectrum and Deadpool_25 like this.
  2. akguitarmaster

akguitarmaster SS.org Regular

I just got my katana 50w in yesterday and am still blown away by it. Tone studio is pretty cool so far. I ordered a cheap 2 button foot switch that should changes the channels and bank.

Bentaycanada likes this.
  3. Bentaycanada

The Brown channel with a boost and classic V EQ settings does a very dynamic, modern metal tone.

I had initially thought the Brown channel meant Marshall voiced, but apparently it’s SLO based. Switching between the Lead and Brown channels, the difference is clear.

The Brown channel isn’t exactly metal voiced, but there’s more than enough gain, boost and a quick tweak on the EQ made a world of difference.

I’m kind of aching to try this out in a band setting. The dynamics are super impressive.

4. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

The reviews on these are soooo mixed. I didn’t love mine but thought it was pretty good. Especially when I loaded up a couple sneaky amps. I heard they may have disabled that ability?

5. Bentaycanada

I just discovered the built-in speaker, it’s stupid impressive.

6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I know these have had a lot of hate lately, but I have had the head for 3-4 years now, and I have always enjoyed it for the same reasons you said. It has a very nice dynamic bouncy feel compared to most digital units. It is not the best sounding, but it is just fun to play.

I agree that a boost + brown (or lead) + the patch EQ can easily get heavy tones. It is a little 80's rock stock, but dialing in a scoop and bass boost on the patch EQ can easily make it more modern.

Matt08642 and Bentaycanada like this.
  7. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Any details on this functionality?

8. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

Could you elaborate a little? I've been searching for a good practice amp and the built-in speaker on the Katana head is a sweet feature for this. I'm assuming it's a single speaker?

9. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

If you are asking what the sneaky amps are, they’re amp models that aren’t accessible from the front panel of the amp. They were only accessible using the Boss Tone Studio software. It’s been a while, but I feel like there was even another step needed to access them, hence “sneaky.”

Also IIRC, they were Boss GT-1000 models. There was one based on a Fender Twin that I thought was better than the onboard clean, and another based on a 5150 that seemed a bit better for modern metal than the onboard high gain tones.

Randy likes this.
  10. Bentaycanada

I haven’t looked into it, but I think it’s a 5” speaker, but boy does it sound awesome. If I didn’t like the amp already, this feature is impressive enough to make this a keeper!

I had the Headrush 108 at the beginning of the year with my Helix and this is just as good. Seriously.

11. DC23

DC23 SS.org Regular

Congrats! I love reading about your gear escapades!!! :D

Bentaycanada likes this.
  12. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I dug mine a lot, but it needed an on-panel resonance knob, imo. I never got the chance to play with tone studio but I can only imagine it would be really awesome with a little keyboard tweaking in that.

13. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

I really love my 50 watt Katana, I just wish they'd release a more robust pedal option so you didn't need to have it hooked to Tone Studio to do most of the tweaking.

FYI for anyone that has one, the patches from Juca Nery are really great. Worth spending a few bucks.

Bentaycanada likes this.
  14. Bentaycanada

Yes, I can't believe the noise gate isn't tweakable on the amp front or pedal. Aside from that, the tones are fantastic.

Matt08642 likes this.
  15. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

That drives me NUTS! Unreal that you can't even access the noise gate without going into Tone Studio.

16. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Well, this is the thread I've been waiting for. I'm done.

If I join this band then this is the head I will buy (so I can use it aswell as a desktop practice amp using the built-in speaker in 0.5W mode...).

It has all the features, I was just waiting for a newer thread in this or any other forum.

It's confirmed!!!!

PS: It may not happen anytime soon if I don't get the position...

17. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I think you can. It has been a long time, but I remember in the Facebook KAT group, people were assigning their noise gates to one of the effect knobs when the newest firmware came out.

i could be wrong, though. I haven't updated mine for a long time.

Bentaycanada and Zhysick like this.
  18. js75

js75 SS.org Regular

When you go into the tone studio and tweak is this only for recording.Or can you download patches onto the amp and play through a cab.Sorry for the dumb question,I’m not much of a tweaker.I have Katana 2 head and run a savage drive into it.That’s the secret sauce for me.Great little amp.

19. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

You can create and tweak patches in Tone Studio and then save them to the actual amp. My issue is that I have like 25 patches that I really like, and the amp can only store 4.

Bentaycanada likes this.
  20. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Love my Katana 50, but like others in this thread have said it would be perfect if all these amps had resonance/presence controls on the panel + a way to adjust the gate.

It's still very impressive how much you can tweak the patches when hooked up to a computer though. I didn't expect granular EQ from these amps!