NAD: because I'm so god damn excited that I can't even wait until its off 30 day hold

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by XeoFLCL, Oct 22, 2014.

1. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

For anyone that knows what this is..300USD.
    HOLY SHIT YES GOD
    HOW

Now to wait for GC's silly california policy of holding used items for 30 days.. I hope this is thread okay since it is actually my picture and I bought it.. I'm just so excited I have to talk about it.. :ugh: That being said, so I'm sure people want to know what the hell is going on here and why I bought this, so here's my story! Bewarned, it's long.

So about 2 months ago, I started having issues with my Carvin V3mc, which was my only amp. Tried a tube swap, adjusting the DSP board like carvin suggested, but anytime the reverb was touched, it'd scream at me like an angry child. Carvin requested I send it to them over in san diego and they would solve the issue, but that I'd have to pay for shipping and that alone was absurd for how much the amp cost me as I got it on one of carvin's blemished sales for something like 100 less than the normal price.. :rolleyes: Granted, I decided to try and see if there was someone local to look at it, but suddenly one day it decided to stop making a bunch of noise randomly. This was great and fine, but the fact that this issue was never really diagnosed had the thought of it coming back constantly looming in my head, ESPECIALLY if I were to play shows with it. This ....ing terrified me, and surely enough, it came back one day, that day being yesterday. I pretty much freaked out as I'm kind of huevos deep in working on a groove metal/sludge/southern metal kind of band right now, and I could not have this happening. I ended up chucking tons of shit on craigslist, one thing being my Ibanez SR505 as I have too many basses and this one never gets touched anymore as I'm an all maple kinda guy, and I put it up there for an uncomfortably cheap price for what it was (korean made '06 SR505, and I sold it for 300 this afternoon). Granted, this choice made my day today. The buyer and I decided to meet up at guitarcenter in brea, which generally is full of a bunch of fenders and gibsons, and alot of middle aged blues/jazz players which I respect greatly but well.. they kind of make the stores variety lack due to demand :lol:. Regardless, we meet up, and I decide to check the store out after just for the hell of it since I know some of the workers there pretty well and you never know. So I walk in, and check out the used section, and there it was. A Laney AOR50 series 2. I've heard of this amp a few times and seen a few, and I kind of never thought I'd get the chance to own one, let alone play one. So I go to check it out, and I see the pricetag. 299 dollars. I literally about shat myself, and asked them to move it to the closest cab. Two minutes of trying it and I bought it :lol:

For those who have no idea what this amp is, it's basically laney's take on the JCM800 sound. They were made in the 80s. They have a very loose lowend, but for the genre I'm playing right now, there couldn't be a better amp. They have a ton of nice push pulls, a bright one for each channel, a lowend deep pull, and a midrange boost pull. In general, they're very nice amps that do gritty almost sludgy sounds very very well, and generally tend to be pretty hard to even find now. They can even do great tight tones if boosted/EQ'd right, infact here's Vinnie Moore using one! heh

Now to wait one more week for it to be released off of hold, dumb california laws..
    :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

glpg80, tedtan, Underworld and 6 others like this.
  2. TauSigmaNova

TauSigmaNova Guitarist Wannabe.

Haha man, enjoy. Hope you love it. Agreed on the 30day thing too. I was in Vegas GC on vacation and almost bought a pedal but was hit by the 30day thing which I don't completely understand the purpose of (and more importantly why its shown as for sale if it can't be sold for the next 30days )

3. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

^^^ Pretty sure its to help ensure the item isn't stolen, and if it is in fact stolen the cops can get it back to the original owner or something like that

4. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

Oh yeah, I'm going to have some serious fun with this amp. Couldn't have asked for things to turn out better :hbang:
    Yep, that's pretty much what it's about. It's the worst though when you run into deals like this and you've gotta wait out the hold time even though you know it's yours now :lol:

5. Noxon

Noxon Is a Lurker

HNAD! I hope the wait goes by quick for you.

6. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

We have the same 30 day policy here in BC, but the shop owners aren't even allowed to display the item during the hold period because we also have laws regarding the sales of items not in inventory. Congrats on a rad purchase!!

7. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

This. Definitely not silly or unnecessary; you'd want them to hold it 30 days if it was something you had that was stolen. It's kinda inconvenient but necessary.

Anyways, HNAD dude.

8. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

Ouch, that's gotta suck.. Except for the employees, assuming they're informed of said stock.

Regardless, thanks everyone, I seriously can't wait to get this amp. I honestly don't think I've been this excited about a new piece of gear in a loong time :wub:

9. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Cool amp. I just serviced one.

That Pull bass boost is ridiculous. I've never heard an amp with that much low end.
    It also raises the bias of the output tubes about 6-7 mA when pulled, so I biased on the cold side.

Definitely a weird circuit design. Not sure if there's any Lee Jackson left in there by the time the Series II's came about. But they have a sound, and legions of devoted users.

Enjoy!

10. Jayd41

Jayd41 SS.org Regular

Congrats dude!
    Glad it all worked out well for you!

That 30 day hold is obnoxious! Here in Wisconsin it's only a 10 day hold. It must vary based on state law. Oh well, another benefit to living in the land of beer and cheese.

11. MaxSwagger

MaxSwagger SS.org Regular

Congrats on the amp, man! Sounds like it was meant to be. Did they just implement this "hold" thing? I bought a used cab from a GC in Pennsylvania the day after it hit the store and received it 2 days later. This wasn't even 2 weeks ago. I'd assume they start the 30 day warranty after you pick it up as opposed to when you purchased it then? Anyways, congrats again!

12. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

Yeah, the bass pull is absurd, I'm slightly afraid it might be hazardous if I use it on the cab I'm grabbing :lol:

As for the circuit, that's probably the main reason this amp is so unique in itself. Tubes heavily influence the tone of the amp, to the point of where swapping out one preamp tube will turn it into a totally different beast. I think the circuit might have something to do with that, I remember heardint that it ran the tubes in some kind of inline manner? Granted, I've never actually worked on a tube amp, but I do work on SMT PCBs for consoles and do repairs pretty often and want to get into working on tube amps. That being said, I'm seriously going to love this amp and maybe actually hold onto a piece of gear for once :rolleyes:

Also about the biasing, that's interesting.. I think I might wanna check the bias the second I get mine to be sure..
    I blame Compton. :D
    The metal gods felt it was time I obtained this beast, and so it is. :hbang:

Also, it's a state to state thing, that's all. :)

13. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

14. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I love these amps, and the 8 knob* versions in particular. They are a unique amp, kind of like loose (in a good way) Marshall met a high gain Boogie Mark series and had a baby. You have more than enough gain for any application, you'll just need a boost to tame the low end for more modern, tighter styles like you said above. And Toshiro is correct, too: there are 3 preamp gain knobs and a master volume that will interact with one another, so you can obtain many different styles and textures of distortion by varying the ratio of each of these.

* There is also a 6 knob Pro Tube (non AOR) version that does the JCM800 thing, if that's your thing. But the 8 knob AOR version is so unique it does it for me.

15. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

Well that'll help me save a few headaches :lol: Thanks for the input there :yesway:
    Yeah, I had actually researched these before since they seem to be very sought after amps in the doom metal and sludge metal scene (two things I have a raging stoner boner for), or at least those in it that I know. Only heard a few, but every single one just sounded unique, almost like complete different amps outside of the brutally powerful lowend, so I found out about how they often get modded and how a simple preamp tube rearrangement will change the tone drastically. Also, I've heard of people using the digitech bad monkey instead to boost this amp due to it's seperate low and high tone circuits, what do you think about this VS a maxon OD808? I've got a bad monkey so I might just do that if it's gonna give me more variety.

I should really start collecting some preamp tubes honestly, this is gonna be fun. :D

16. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Give it a shot and see!

I don't have a bad Monkey, but I have found that my 8 knob AOR likes the Ibanez TS9 because it has a higher mid frequency than the 808 type TubeScreamers. I've found that to be a good match, since my 8 knob has plenty of low mids already (and the mid knob is a already a bit lower than a typical Marshall style mid knob, too).

But experiment - I've never been able to make mine sound bad unless I did something outrageous like pull the bass and treble boost switches. Which can be cool, too, but in an over the top, obnoxious kind of way. :lol:

17. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

In addition to what others have mentioned (that it's required by state law in many places, in order to ensure that it wasn't stolen), putting used gear on the floor before it's releasable allows customers in-store a crack at the gear first, since used gear doesn't show up on the website until after the hold period is up.

18. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

Yeah I can see how the bad monkey would be an excellent choice for a boost on this amp, especially after really giving it a run for it's money today. Since I got to sit down with it for quite a while today I thought I'd put up a quick review.

Get ready to read! :D

Fortunately because I know the guys at my GC well, I was able to go in today with a friend of mine and we took the amp out of the back and pushed it quite a bit in the sound room. Something I found really interesting about the amp is that the EQ changes drastically when the volume is risen, more than any other tube amp I've used. It didn't get icepicky unless forced into that range (which is easy assuming you don't pick up how the EQ and pull switches work on this amp, more info in the sidenotes), but there was a definite change in frequency response, and the bass dipped down to a much more reasonable level. It's natural voicing suddenly made even more sense the more I cranked it. At rehearsal and gig volumes, I can definitely see this thing becoming an absolute beast with quite a bit of dynamic range capable of everything between doom metal-tier mud to tighter tones (though it would definitely benefit from a boost in front for that). It is by no means a bedroom amp and the tonal design focus was definitely aimed at a gigging musician, which is pretty much what I was after. Also, another nice thing: the bass boost was actually not quite as muddy as it felt at low volumes and made a bit more sense once you really pushed the amp (though still VERY powerful, then again my natural playing style does lean towards groove based riffing and sludgey parts, so what I say sounds perfect may be a mushy mess to anyone on the other end of the tone desire spectrum :ugh:.. However, one thing is for sure: palm muting definitely stays very tight on this amp, I had no issues getting very tight dino-style palm mute riffs out of it without having a boost infront even at moderate volume levels, unlike a few other tube amps I've had (I'm looking at you, unboosted valveking..) Overall, I'm really excited to get this amp home and see what I can get out of it.

Some other little sidenotes:
    -EQing it is very interesting, when you turn up this amp something I immediately noticed is that I found I was actually backing off things from 12 o'clock, and it reminded me somewhat of how you EQ a Mark IV without the whole 5 band option.
    -I actually found the bright switch for the gain channel can get overwhelming very quickly at high volumes, I actually found myself pressing it off pretty often in favor of raising the treble as it just felt more smooth and less harsh than the bright pull. It did however, really help using it for getting much tighter tones, and the amp is definitely capable of attaining said tones, though that's not really why I'm buying this amp, it's all about that raw low mid punishment this amp displays :metal:
    -I decided to run this through a marshall 1960 lead (Celestion G12T-75s), as it was the closest thing to the cab I'm matching it with but was still a slight longshot from my cab (Celestion G12K-85s), so all these tones obtained were obviously voiced with the more scooped tone obtained by those speakers. I expect the amp to have a bit more mid focus and slightly less highs with the cab I have, but sometimes you really can't say with construction playing a role and all.
    -Finally, I have no idea what preamp tubes are in this yet or if this amp has been modified in any way. This could be VERY CRUCIAL to the tones I was getting, as this amp has a unique cascading preamp structure (if that's the correct term?) I imagine any previous owners already had fun and swapped out the preamp tubes and it's pretty common to see these things get modded from my research. I'll do a teardown of the circuit once I get it and see if I see anything out of the usual, I've already found reference pictures of the stock circuitry so it should be pretty easy to spot differences.

Hope this post helps anyone who has interest in this amp and would like to know more. I honestly feel bad that I couldn't give the ideal overview of the amp because I'm so damn impatient and this is probably the most excited I've been over getting an amp in my life, which says quite alot with the amount of them I've gone through, so I apologize for that :bowdown:. I'll be posting even more information once I pick it up on the 10th, along with in depth photos of the innards and possibly even some recordings as we're really pushing to get some stuff out within the next few weeks, if even a single song from this project so anyone interested in hearing more of this definitely look forward to it!

TLDR: This amp definitely deserves the praise it gets in the doom/sludge metal scene because this amp is one of the most capable of that tone I've used yet, but by absolutely NO MEANS SHOULD IT BE PIDGEONHOLED TO THAT RANGE, as it somehow also happens to be one of the most dynamic affordable high gain tube amps I've used next to the V3 and Blackstar HT series without going for something MUCH MUCH more expensive like a Mark IV/V or what have you. It just requires you to get quite familiar with the very unique preamp stages and how the EQ works, from my experiences so far.

Now that I got that all off my mind, I can go to sleep :wavey:

19. Kristianx510

Kristianx510 SS.org Regular

Yup. pretty much this. It's sort of a thank you to people who actually come into GC's instead of just ordering online haha.

20. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Yeah most GCs have a wait period and it's entirely because of background checking to see if it's stolen. Another reason they take driver's license info etc when you sell them gear. It sucks, and when I worked there it was a huge pain because of lot of folks wanted to walk out that day with it. I am glad they put the gear out to be jammed on so someone can grab it and have it held in the back until the wait is over.

There are some great tube options for that amp to boost gain and tweak the overall tone. I had a set sent from Eurotubes specifically to sound like Opeth, which worked perfectly. The only reason I sold the amp was because I found a used GH100L for pennies. Awesome grab dude. HNAD!