NAD: AXE FX III

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BananaDemocracy, May 16, 2019.

1. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

This is going to be a very brief NAD(lol) because I don’t know what I’m doing with the amp yet. It’s my first fractal axe fx of any kind, so it’s much easier and more intuitive than the other ones I heard about. I hesitated with axe fx ultra because its for gear heads who know what their doing, and I passed out he II because by that time I bought a kemper which I sold a while ago. I’m glad I did!

This things modeler actually sounds like the amp. IDENTITCAL. Not like it. Not it “definitely captures the character” or any bullshit like that. NOw I know why fractal charges so much and why everyone says they are the best: the are the BEST! I thought kemper was unbeatable

Kemper used a very unique tone matching process. They profiler would record the amp in every possible state in many different ways, like you could show the dynamics of how a recto on low volume and turned down is and then in that same profile turn up your volume knob on the guitar and the tone dynamics are translated, making the actual modeling sound alive and not like an effects pedal with a cab sim you know?

The Axe Fx II I was told came close to kemper, but not quite as good. My kemper owner friends and all of my trustworthy pro sources told me that I would finally be wrong and FAS would best my kemper. They were right.

When I turned on the Mesa, I swear, I thought James Hetfield plugged into the second input , I had to turn to look around lol j/k

Anyway, ill post a pic of the LOVELY rig (don’t judge the mess please)

WHO ELSE HAS AXE FX III, and who is going to sell their III for the FM3 because the AXE III is so much in it???

Attached Files:

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Enjoy!

BananaDemocracy likes this.
  3. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Congrats on the III. That thing is awesome, I'm sure. I had a II XL+ and it was amazing. I got rid of it because (a) I am finally realizing I'm not a tweaker, and (b) I thought I might get whatever the replacement for the AX8 is (FM3).

4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Congrats!

5. SloeGin

SloeGin SS.org Regular

Congrats! Wish i had the money for an AXE FX III!
    I quess i'll stick with my Yamaha THR10 for now :D

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Happy NGD!! I haven't heard too much about the III but I haven't been on the Fractal Forums this year either.

7. BananaDemocracy

Thanks all

I thought I’d treat myself because (I’ve had a rough year, multiple serious injuries/breaks, sold all my gear a while back for baby etc) and really couldn’t wait for another modeler+interfaced+live/recording preamp, and while options are much less limited on the market, I couldn’t spend a thousand bucks on something I couldn’t or wouldn’t keep (helix or atomic) in a years time

and it is kind of an investment too because I won’t need any other gear for a decade (I’m lying, I already want a live FRFR and possibly a FC)

Anyone else see me trying to over justify this exorbitant purchase ? Lol

I was waiting for FM3, as you mentioned the fractals site is quite quite active, and I was told I certainly wouldn’t be recording on a fr@ctal machine anytime before Christmas, and I need to write and record , ofc!

But yes, I also wasn’t up on things but after visiting this fine site, a member point3d out fractal had what I was looking for if I could wait....but a year is too long (fractal is smart too, at checkout your cart says $2250 as if you really got $250 off on sale lol it worked !)

This site is actually addictive.i never spent more time involved in the craft then since signing up

God bless randy and max, long live SSO (but my wife doesn’t agree lol)

8. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Well I'm jealous. I want one. I own a Helix already but really want to try a Fractal unit. Maybe ill get the FM3 down the line.

9. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I own both a Kemper and Axe-Fx III (used to have the II XL+ as well). I absolutely love the III. Hands-down the best piece of gear I have ever purchased or played. Anyone who says they shy away from Fractal because they don't want to tweak hasn't used a III likely. My current sound was made in a few seconds turning the basic bass, mid, treble, presence, and gain controls. Over the past year I've made minimal tweaks but that was because I just wanted to see what messing with different parameters would do. :)

Deadpool_25 and BananaDemocracy like this.
  10. BananaDemocracy

Yes! I can’t beleive it, like I guess this year is the year of settling doubts! For example, as a kemper and FAS owner, you are aware that the kemper tone was unmatched in modeling And that was always the point of contention between the two camps

I was one @LeviathinKiller, and I said no way you can beat the kemper; the axe ii came close but it was better on all around modeling with effects ...kemper SOUNDED like the real thing

UNTIL the axe Iii

I can’t beleive the response, the tonal dynamics that are picked up and expressed through my finger touch, and the clarity is so pristine.

You literally can’t convince me otherwise that you need anything else or anything more besides the axe Iii as an electric guitarist

It’s almost unfair to all the other products and manufacturers, but then again, you definitely pay for it...meaning it’s not cheap

I think I need a FC and FRFR, but I can’t decide which to hunt for next because i overspent for the year !!! Lol

I’ll probably PM yOu for more details about the rig if that’s ok? Thanks

11. b0nkersx

b0nkersx SS.org Regular

Congrats buddy, it's a great unit for sure. I recently converted my 70 yr old dad who has pretty much been all tube since the 1960s.

I use the Yamaha DXR10 and it sounds great, also had a good experience with JBL LSR308s if you want to keep it inexpensive at first. Looking at the Headrush FRFR too...

12. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

Love my Axe III. The Recto Red is my go to.

b0nkersx and BananaDemocracy like this.
  13. Mr_Marty

Mr_Marty SS.org Regular

I recently got an AxeFx III and I also have a kemper (third time) and I agree with everything you said. On the kemper forums they all strut around like the kemper is the greatest thing every and dismiss all other products and talk about how the kemper hardware is so great even though its 10 years old or something. You get crucified there if you question any of the weird audio artifacts. Well i'll tell you the Axe-Fx III is better in every regard. The modeling is better, touch sensitivy is way better, no weird attack artifacts or smeared low end, the effects are simply in a different league, the UI is far better, it has USB audio, much better I/O, etc., etc. The shills can make excuses for 10 year old hardware all they want but the truth is that computers have come a long way in that time and the AxeFx III is simply in a class all its own. And it's only a couple hundred dollars more.

The kemper is very good but it's just not as good. It sounds and feels out of date.

14. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I need to quit reading this thread before I get tempted to try an Axe FX again lol

@BananaDemocracy IF I was going that route again, I'd definitely go tube power amp and real guitar cab. But I'm not. I'm not, I'm not, I'm not..........

15. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Oh yeah, I had (as others have too apparently) and issue with really overexaggerated bass with the Kemper. I had to high pass nearly every profile.

16. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Id live an axe but i know without a doubt that id never play guitar again and would be forever lost in a maze of tweaking lol.
    Its why i greatly prefer my simple amps like my fireball100 and randal t2.
    But congrats! Thats a super cool piece of gear!

Deadpool_25 and BananaDemocracy like this.
  17. BananaDemocracy

Exactly. I was thinking when looking at used kempers, how are these still 1350+ a weave when they are so dated ? It WAS the best in 2013 but now it’s the iii... and it’s ok cuz in 10 years it’ll be something else like axe 4
    hahhaha sorry dude , just do what I did, but the axe iii with the intention of selling it for the fm3 so when it comes out you get a new piece of gear and 1000 bucks back in your pocket !
    It such a great investment and I also hate to think of selling it but using it as I am I may just need the smaller form of the fm3 cuz this machine is almost like three or four in one it has so much inside

Thx for replies guys

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

The Kemper is still fantastic that’s why. It’s price is dropping due to its age and market availability. But Kemper is a lot closer to the Axe 3 than say a helix is to the Kemper.

19. BananaDemocracy

I meant a kemper should be about 1200-1300 shipped for non powered toasters but people are still entitled to charge whatever they like . I just price things to move when I sell though , not greedy; when I get a deal I pay it forward and try to recoup expenses and shipping

The whole conversation is that the kemper was number one ....till now , but it had almost a decade at the top so that’s a great run and it’s still going to sound great in ten years

20. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Congrats on the ax3! Making me want one for live use.

Btw, Is there going to be a new Kemper profiler coming out anytime soon? What are they working on what are their plans?