NAD: Archon 50

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mourguitars, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

Ive had this for a few months, a friend passed away and left me his guitar gear /studio . Been blessed busy at work, and really no time to mess with my gear so I'm going to fire this amp up this weekend going to get to 39 tonight and in Fl that's cold ....might as well have a tube amp as a heater in the office !

He went thru 6 amps when he bought this , this one had the less noisy effect loop that is common on these amps unless there is a fix for it now...chime in if there is.

He put all NOS Tubes in, might tube roll some with some modern tubes as well

Ill leave my impressions this weekend...but ill never sell it. He played a Kingsley Jouster thru the clean channel and he loved that tone, but ill try it with all my cabs with different speakers....the Avatar has Scumback 55hz and their greenback he left me

Mike

20210108_172746.jpg

Ribboz, nedheftyfunk, AdenM and 3 others like this.
  2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

If I remember correctly: the amps built before 11/2014 had the noise issue, but it was resolved after that. If yours is pre 11/2014 then you can email customer support to get a little sheet that shows you which resistor to swap, and they’ll send you one (or at least they did years ago). I believe it was a 47k 1 watt. My Archon 100 is from 8/2014 but I haven’t ever noticed a noisy loop, so I haven’t bothered with the fix yet.

Ribboz and Mourguitars like this.
  3. Mourguitars

Thanks for the reply...DMB !

Build date 2/19 so i should be good then , just checked the tubes , he had all Blackburn Mullards and Amprex in all the pre section. Has a 7025 Canadian Amprex in V1

Time to fire this bad boy up !

Mike

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Nice selection. Ive got a couple Blackburn’s in my Plexi and they’re awesome.

5. chewpac

chewpac working up to 7...

I’m looking forward to the report on this. Really nice story on the amp, but I’m sorry your friend passed.

Mourguitars and rexbinary like this.
  6. Mourguitars

Thanks , i have a few more pedals and rack effects i still want to try out...its been a finicky loop , but a few Delays have worked well so far and some have not. It doesn't like a noise gate in the loop or the Ceriatone Klienulator , but its not noisy with a 7025 in V1 and that old glass in their sounds pretty sweet.

Clean Channel is pure awesome...man its sweet sounding

Lead Channel has all the gain you will need and doesn't need a boost , even tho i do boost it ...thats just my preference ....sustains for days

So far the Intellifex and the Diamond ML Junior delays work the best...hardly any noise but the amp is pretty quite , man it chugs good !

Mesa cab V30's my fav with it so far as speakers , the Scumback H55 and M75 speakers are really bright with it but can be dialed out...

Been wanting to try to hook it up with my Riveria Rockcrusher into my FM3 with a Eq, delay and IR's thru my Adam 7's and sub....just for giggles, but...works been in the way...

So far so good, really digging it so far....really like the tone from it but a few more things i want to try in the loop pedal wise

Mike

chewpac likes this.