NAD - ADA MP1 - using with POD HD Pro

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by VBCheeseGrater, Oct 16, 2013.

1. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Scored this from a fellow SS.org member. Been considering getting a preamp to go with my Pod for awhile to add to the available amps, and the price was right so i pulled the trigger. Since this is an 80's model, i wasn't sure what to expect integrating it with the pod.

Turned out great! :hbang: I've got it in the pod's fx loop, and it sounds as if it's built into the pod as another amp model. :metal: No buzzing, ground hum, volume issues, could not have gone smoother. It's got a nice smooth distortion to it that I can sculpt with the pod's OD's and EQ's in pre and post amp. Gotta crank it up once my wife steps out to see if it'll be good enough for Friday's gig.

Next step is to figure out if i can get the midi switching to work so i can switch channels on the ADA on a per pod patch basis - not really necessary as i love the pod's cleans and mild crunch, but would be a nice bonus and really make the integration complete!

[​IMG]

2. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Nice! I do the same thing with a Rockmaster and GSP1101.

3. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

Nice one! Glad to see you got it working easily.

What cabs are you running with the ADA? Any chance of clips?

4. VBCheeseGrater

CYBER - I don't run any pod cab models typically, just the Splawn you see there. If i can get around to recording a clip or two i'll probably have to pick a cab model - if i end up recording something i'll make sure to let you know..thanks!

5. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

:lol: Face. Palm.

Dont know why I didnt realise that... Guess I kinda "wanted" you to use pod cabs.

:lol:

VBCheeseGrater likes this.
  6. VBCheeseGrater

^^^ haha it's cool man - actually if i record direct, i'm going to need a cab sim, so it's a valid question.

here's a revelation - I've been tweaking this thing for the past hour. The patch i've whipped up sounds damn near identical to my boosted plexi patch! that's not going to help me a whole lot lol

As a side note - so far at least, i would never recommend this amp to anyone wanting modern heavy distortion - "Da BRootz". Even boosted, its pretty much stuck in the 80's. i think i may use it for a few songs we play.... "Machine Head" by Bush :barf: comes to mind (obviously not my pick)

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

If you can, look into the 3 tube mod. Gives you a lot more gain.

This guy almost nails the Black Album tone with it.

Otherwise, you could use it for leads. Supposed to have a tasty smooth clean and lead sound.

8. VBCheeseGrater

Jazz - i was just reading a thread of yours in the marshall forum about your potential rack haha

thanks for the link ill check it out at work tomorrow. With some more tweaking, im coaxing some different sounds out of this thing. Youve gotta dip the mids heavily to get out of marshall land. Its at the very least competing with my pod models. Also started to get a nice lead tone as you mentioned. You can tell theres tubes in there. I think in a band setting it might really sound good. Ill find out this weekend.

Whats really impressed me is the integration with the pod..i just replace the amp block with the fx loop block and its all set. A post noise gate silences any minor hum. Also reacts to all the pod eq and boosts as an amp would.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Yeah, I was considering it, but I decided to focus on a bass rig for now. If I got a rack rig, I'd grab an MP-1 pretty quickly after hearing the 3TM. :lol:

I'd still think with a bit of tweaking, you can use it for some clean, crunch, and lead patches. Or, if you ever get an '80s metal cover bad, you're set. :D

10. VBCheeseGrater

Bass rigs are fun, love an earth rattling scooped tone that sits under the band myself. Yeah you are probably right. These things take a little time and trial and error, my pod sure did. Already its sounding better. Just checked out some modkits...easier than i thought, just install the new board and solder a few wires. The modded ones also fetch good coin on ebay so if i feel the need after a few weeks of band volume tweaking, it may even be worth it to try a mod.

11. bloodstaindewok

bloodstaindewok Well-Known Member

Sigh. Seeing this makes me not want to part with my rack. I just can't justify keeping it though. It's literally collecting dust right now as I only get to turn it on and warm it up with some light practice before having to power it back off. I'm going to miss the versatility in tone of a well put together rig. Nice pairing of the Mesa and the ADA. I had an MP1 with the 3TM for a while and used it with my Mesa 295. I now have a Rocktron Piranha since I like the high gain setting a little more and the knob oriented programming better than the ADA UI. Very nice rack though. Any clips of it with that Splawn cab pushing air?:shred:

12. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

The MP-1 OWNS, stock. It's pure 80s hot rod Marshall tone + JC120 cleans in a programmable box. It's a shame that people immediately start looking at modding these things before really getting to know them.

I owned and used one for years and years. When the MP1 3TM came out, I was very active in the community that created it and was still using them, I bought the hype and jumped on the band wagon and in the end absolutely regretted it. It screwed up the tube clean channel and the basic voicing on the DIST channel got f*cked by the mod, yeah it had a bit more gain but it already had oodles of gain to start with. It certainly did not sound better...

In the end I ended up leaving ADA and going the AxeFx route after selling the 3TM MP1. I'd buy another original MP1 just to have around for use with the AF if my wife wouldn't throw a fit over yet another piece of gear crowding the house.

My recommendation: The MP-1 has a SH*TLOAD of gain bone stock. Add a parametric EQ if you already have a rack and can stand the weight rather than modding it. The world does not need another ruined MP-1. It is a classic unit that does not need to be jacked with. If you want a Mesa/Engl/Soldano/PV or something else those companies all already make preamps.

All IMHO of course. But I do have a lot of miles on both the 3TM and Original MP1 and just hope that someday I will be able to pick up a stock one again. ;)

13. VBCheeseGrater

Well, that seems to be the case for me. I was setting it up for my gig last night and at the last minute realized it's just not the tone i'm after. It's definitely marshall, but the tube marshall heads i've played have felt much smoother.

At the end of the day, it just couldn't trump my Pod HD tones for dirt. I mean it's 80 tech vs 2010's so i'm not that surprised. used my Recto patches last night for both medium and high gain and was very happy. Should not neglect to mention, i've been tweaking Pod for months, vs 3 days for ADA.

So, the sucker is on ebay (unmodded :lol:) and CL. Glad i got to try it out - i'll probably try out another preamp further down the road..triaxis maybe, but for now i've really made the POD my own good live sound - sound guy complemented it last night too - "when it makes your hairs stand up it's good" he said haha

14. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Question.

Why did you put the ADA in the FX loop of the POD?

I would have gone the other way and just used the POD for the effects and the ADA for the primary dirt tones.

15. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

THIS. I picked one up for around $115 that needed new jacks in the back. Played a show with it with a GT-3 out front and an old Velocity 250 and had great lead tones and thick rythm. Then my stupid tweaker brain order the Mod 3.1 and put it in. It dulled it, lost the raunchiness I like. I traded it for a G Major and went back to my Peavey. You're right that you cant really tighten it up, could never get the edge I needed out of it like the crunch channel on my Ultra 120.

16. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I just bid on one. Wonder if it's yours?

17. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

Very nice I have a similar setup with my GSP1101 and my Line 6 POD HD

18. VBCheeseGrater

Yeah i hear you, say a year ago, i would have gone, or at least tried, that route too, but at the moment the pod is the center of my rig and i wanted to able to just plug in the ADA into any pod patch and use the pod's models on other patches. The main reason i'm using the POD is to keep things simple in my mainly cover band, so if I can keep it to just switching the POD's patches with the floor board, i'm good. also, this might sound crazy, but i didn't want to get into the "tone suck" comparisons that would have ensued if i tried the route you mentioned - meaning i'm sure the pod FX loop sucks tone due to the D/A conversions. FWIW, did not seem to be a big issue with the ADA though, having not compared the two setups.

I played two gigs this weekend and the pod just sounded great. My other guitarist is a strictly tube guy and even he says he'd never know it was a modeler. i'm all in on it until my GAS takes over again. I've ordered a retube kit for my 50/50 and i'm swapping out some speakers in my cab after trying my other guitarists V30/G12T75 X pattern cab - really took my pod to the next level. So basically, the grass isn't always greener. I'm happy with my tone but always looking to see if i can make it better.

BTW that ADA's not mine, mine is a fixed price sale - the one with sticker residue on the top!

19. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs. Pinch Harmonics. Pick Scrapes. Dive Bombs.

Congrats looking nice man!