N(U)GD Ibanez RG520QS

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by goobaba, Mar 16, 2018.

1. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Picked up this guitar from Guitar Center online, from the Spartanburg SC store for $400.

I was very nervous about buying it sight unseen but after talking to one of the GC sales workers over the phone I went ahead and scooped it up.

The RG520QS is a Japanese two humbucker RG with the original Edge bridge and original Wizard neck. Unlike most RG's this one is Mahogany. This guitar originally had either a trans black rootbeer finish or trans blue finish over a Quilted Sapele top.

One of the previous owners of this guitar definitely refinished it to an oil finish, and did a very good job. The original finish on these guitars got very dark over time, obscuring the quilted finish. The quilt on this one really pops. This guitar came in its original hard shell case and what looks like its original whammy bar.

RG520's came with the V7 and V8 pickups originally, but this has an unknown Seymour Duncan pickup in the bridge and an unlabeled pickup in the neck. Once I put new strings on I'll pull them out to find out what they are. Somebody had wired a three way switch with the usual bridge and neck positions and the middle spot being a killswitch instead of both. The pups sound OK but this guitar is destined for some new pups.

The Edge bridge is the bomb! The whammy bar is too loose so I'll have to figure out that issue.

It came very well set up and plays like butter. This is by far the thinnest neck guitar that I own (and that I've ever played for that matter.) There is something special about these 1990's Japanese Ibanez guitars. The quality of this guitar is stellar. It has some minor scuffs here and there but overall it is in excellent condition.

It came with 9-42 strings which are not my thing. I'll be putting on some D'addario NYXL 11-56's and tuning to drop C which is my preferred tuning. I'm thinking about either Fishman Fluence KSE or Tosin set, or maybe Dimarzio Titans. What should I put in there?

And yes this thread is worthless without pics but I'll post them soon.

MatiasTolkki and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  2. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

QFT.

MatiasTolkki and Dcm81 like this.
  3. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.

Hell yeah man! Yours sounds a lot like mine that I picked up last year. Congrats!

4. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

Dimarzio Evos in mahogany body Ibanezes are absolutely amazing, definitely consider those if you wanna do a pup change.

5. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Those were one of my favorites back when I liked all those old 90's RGs. Being Mahogany and HH, they were unique in the Ibanez lineup.

7. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

these are great. I regret not picking one up that was at a local GC a few months ago

8. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Yeah yeah yeah I know, waiting for some good sunshine to take some natural light pics.

9. gclef

gclef SS.org Regular

I have a 99 in trans black. I don't use it much anymore, and may sell it eventually. It does sound and play really well, which is why I held onto it for so long.

I use a piece of tin foil under the plastic bushings as a spacer. Works great. Doesn't wear quickly.

Others use nail polish.

Nice score BTW

10. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

11. Kyle-Vick

Kyle-Vick Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.

Looks great! I dig the quilt on it. What do you think would be a good oil to touch up the finish with? Mine is getting a little dried out in places.

12. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

I think you can't go wrong with Tung oil, but there are other options as well

13. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Mine also has a little spot between the pickups that doesn't really show up in the pics, I'll probably just let it be

14. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

That's nice looking. I had one of the blue versions of these and the stain was so thick that you really couldn't see the quilt at all. Hope you enjoy it my dude!

15. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

When these guitars first came out the stains were still very dark. Fast forward almost 20 years and the ones with the original finish are even darker. I'm glad that this one was stripped, I think it looks better than the original finish!

16. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Update:

Pulled the strings off, replaced with NYXL 11-56 in drop C. I had to add a fourth spring to the trem cavity and discovered that the block had a metal cover over the edges of the springs that screwed in to the block. Is that normal for an edge tremolo? Anyways, I had to remove it to allow the fourth spring because it screws in to two of the spring holes. With the added tension of the strings and springs the tremolo is not as fun and loose to play with but still gets the job done.

I pulled the pickups to find out what they are and the bridge is a Distortion and the neck is a 59. I am really digging the Distortion; it has a big fat low end and scooped mids. It is also super hot, on par with my EMG loaded guitars. The 59' is kinda meh, it is fairly low output and too round sounding. It also only has a two wire lead so I can't change the guitar to a 5 way switch which is something I was considering. The pups will probably be replaced within a few months, but for now I'm liking the variety they add to my arsenal.

Overall this guitar is still killing it! Good purchase.

17. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

I've seen some Edges with that block thing over the springs before.

18. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Yep, that's a normal part. Like you found out, it's really only useful with a 3 spring config, but no harm in removing it.

19. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Yeah, no harm no foul. I have never had a spring pop out on my other systems.

I can't imagine the Satch/Vai level of wankery that would be required to actually get a spring loose haha!

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  20. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Update on the guitar after living with it for a few weeks. All I can say is wow! The tone of the Seymour Duncan's has grown on me quite a bit, I really dig the Distortion for chunky rhythm and searing lead, and the '59 sounds great for clean and mid gain sounds. Even the weird wiring has grown on me. I like having the killswitch in the mid position for some cool kind of post processing jitter sounds.

I would never have picked those pickups or wiring scheme but they've won me over. It goes to show that sometimes it just takes some getting use to. That's why I tend to reserve judgement on gear after I've had it for a while.