N(ostalgia)GD: Washburn WG587V

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ramses, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

By nostalgia I mean, that I don't play her anymore—haven't in the last three years. She is still with me, but always inside her case. Yesterday I cleaned her up and took these pictures, with the intention of selling her, but my S.O. convinced me not too ... for now.

This Washburn was my first 7, and she kept me warm during my years as a poor grad student. She holds a special place in my heart.

Enjoy the pictures (which is why we are all at ssorg) ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shupe13, Edika, Zhysick and 7 others like this.
  2. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

When did they make these with a trem?
    Where can I find one?
    Are you SURE you're not selling yours?

Very nice axe dude! :shred:

3. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

Just a little bit of history, there were actually various runs of the WG587 with different neck heels and input jacks, I had the square neck heel one while my buddy had a rounded one, also the one with a rounded neck heel seemed to have a less rounded shape to the body aswell. I'm almost certain the 1st run (which is what I assume mine to have been) also had additional issues, as mine could never intonate the lowest string past A while my friends appeared to have no problems, and from playing it, I immediately noticed it had much better intonation across the board which kind of convinced me the 1st versions lacked the buzz feiten system.

As far as I know, the trem. version came along with the 2nd run with the rounded heel, and was only available for a short time, so it's actually a really rare guitar.. I've only seen under 10 people post them and only two for sale, one locally and one on here which I NEARLY bought because I just love these things. They're great basis for modding, and just swap out the bridge, pickups, and electronics and you have one hell of a guitar.

4. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

See, OP? That ol' hunk o junk is worthless and is CLEARLY a dime a dozen!

I'll take it off your hands for $100! :lol:

5. ramses

This guitar is 12 years old, and I believe it was discontinued a couple of years later.

Nope, not selling it right now.

Interesting, I didn't know that. The 2001 Washburn catalog says that the body is mahogany, but I have seen some people claim that it is alder. Would you happen to know about that?

A number of times I have considered installing an OFR, and high-end pickups. But then I decide that instead of spending $600.00+ on an old guitar, I should use that for a new one :)

:lol:

My wife wants me to have it as part of my guitar "collection". But I'm not a guitar collector, nor do I want to be one — I don't like owning things I don't use. If I sell it, I'll let you know :)

Zhysick likes this.
  6. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

Wow this takes me back about 10 years :D

My first 7 string was a 587V in the exact same colour. I remember fitted it with a Bareknuckle Warpig 7 and it sounded glorious. Never stayed in tune unfortunately.

:yesway:

7. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL SS.org Regular

Actually, yes I can answer that :lol:
    Mine was alder, and I'm near certain the rounded neck heel ones are mahogany as my friend's has a chip in it and the wood looked far too dark to be alder. I actually took the finish off mine down to the sealant when I had it and have pictures of it, showing what is blantly alder..
    [​IMG]
    It's a bit darker than usual but I believe thats because I didn't break through the sealer there but the grain definitely isn't reminiscent of mahogany and has far too much detail in it to be basswood.. so there's only one conclusion :D

As for the OFR and pickups, it's all preference. I'd totally do it though, it'd be a fun project and a great way to breathe new life into an old favorite :yesway:

8. ramses

Thanks for the picture.

A friend of mine, who's been hand-making really sweet pickups for a couple of years now, has offered to upgrade it. We'll see how it turns out :)

9. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

Here's the result of heavy handed playing during a gig :lol:

[​IMG]

I had blood dripping all over my hand and as it was so hot in the venue that night, the blood dried on the guitar quickly so my strings were shot. I didn't notice it happened until I looked down, wondering why my tone was crud. :nuts:

shupe13 likes this.
  10. Tim James

Tim James Member

Blaze Guitar 007.jpg Years ago, I picked up a WG 587 V's in a pawn shop, all beat up and needing to be remoded. I had always wanted a 7 string so I bought it along with a nice road runner bag cheap. That was in 2002 I think. Had problems finding a good luthier to do the mods I wanted to do on it. Sat in the closet for the longest. Definitely has an Alder body. So anyway over the last year I decided to finally get going with this 7 string project & to just do everything I could myself. That is except for Feitenising it. The pick ups kind of sucked- bought a Dimarzio humbucker and replaced the bridge PU. Filled the mid and neck PU spots and repainted it. Came out pretty cool actually. The bridge really wasn't that great either- So I bought an awesome gold, German, Original Floyd Rose bridge to replace it. All my hardware choices had been gold and black up to that point, including the Dimarzio Blaze PU that I found in black with gold pole pieces. So I decided to change the tuners to gold Planet Waves tuners also, just so everything would match hardware wise. I really like the Planet Waves tuners. They snip the strings for you as they lock everything down.Pretty nice. Installed the Floyd and had to very slightly shave the post holes to get it to fit right. After some struggles everything came out sweet. Temporarily wired up the Dimarzio so I could hear how everything sounded. Plugged it into one of my old tube amps and I was in 7 String Metal Heaven!!! Sounds awesome. Very happy with everything now. I am ready to buy a Sustainiac neck pickup for it and am getting the pole pieces custom plated gold so everything will match. Ive decided that all my hardware is going to be gold or black, no chrome anywhere Ive decided. So I will be having to still route out a single coil spot at the neck after I get that. After everything is in, it will be off to the nearest Buzz Feiten person to Feitenize it and for a great set up. I am a firm believer in the Buzz Feiten system. I also decided that I will be going with a Ghost Rider theme after everything is set up and playing close to perfect I think. You know Blaze pickup/Johnny Blaze theme. Its going to be a display on the wall guitar/plug it in and blow everyone away guitar. Here is where am at as of today. Excuse the fingerprints. View attachment 66903 Blaze Guitar 003.jpg Blaze Guitar 004.jpg Blaze Guitar 005.jpg Blaze Guitar 006.jpg View attachment 66903 View attachment 66903

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  11. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal SF2 > Everything

Woah, this was the first 7 I ever played. Got mine for $150 in good used condition back in 2011. Wish I still kept it and swapped out the pickups, it played really well.

12. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Never seen this model before, it's like the Washburn UV. Pretty cool!

Edit: ohh this is from 6 years ago lol...

13. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I don't know anything about these guitars but just judging by the colour of the wood under the chip on your picture it's far too light in colour to be mahogany.

14. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal SF2 > Everything

Mine was definitely alder

15. ramses

lol, what's going on here?

16. ramses

haha ... turns out that a couple of weeks ago I decided to fully upgrade mine. Financially, it is a bad idea. But I'm learning a lot in the process. I think I'll go all the way and even do the re-fret myself. We'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.