My white guitars

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by nicomortem, Apr 23, 2014.

1. nicomortem

nicomortem SS.org Regular

Since I was a kid, I always thought white guitars were cool, but I never got the chance to own one until now. I recently picked up an Ibanez GRG150 in white, brand-new for $99 on sale, and just the other day I took home one of those new Toby basses, in white as well. When I bought that Douglas Hadron 625, I had chosen the white also. I've since dismantled that one and robbed the parts though. One thing Ive noticed about lower-priced white guitars is they skimp on the clear coat, and I think that sucks. Luckily the Tobias has a nice clear coat applied, wish I could say the same for my Ibanez. The Douglas was even worse, barely any clear at all! So here is a video I put together using all 3 white guitars, tuned to drop C.

2. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

This is the guitar that made me pickup a guitar, stickers on Les Paul Custom, how fitting for the particular band:

Attached Files:

3. imnotnollynollynolly

imnotnollynollynolly SS.org Regular

I love me a good white or black LP Custom. I just recently found out they stopped using ebony an are now using Richlite fingerboards, which is super unfortunate IMO. For some reason I thought they started using ebony again after the whole lawsuit thing was settled.

4. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Nice vid!

I always wanted a white guitar since I was first starting as well. For me it was the Steve Vai Jem that made me realize how classy the color was on a guitar. I never did end up getting a Jem but here's a photo of my first and only white guitar so far (Agile Septor Elite 827)

[​IMG]

5. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i always thought white guitars looked classy and clean. and i've always wanted one since i saw this picture which was chris oliva's guitar from savatage.
    [​IMG]

a few years later, i got me this guy. it was a peavey v-type ext np s...sometimes f...cant remember the exact model. sold it due to the floyd on it was annoying to deal with.
    [​IMG]

in similar vain, i got me one of these
    [​IMG]

and i'm currently planning on another white guitar...soon....soon...

6. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Posted many times but...its white :D

7. Stooge1996

Stooge1996 SS.org Regular

My dad got me into the Darkness (He could sing all the soprano parts :fawk: ) That then got me into Justin Hawkin's White Les Paul Custom, still dont have a LPC but love white ibanez's and looking to get a third :shred:

8. nicomortem

Haha maybe I should have titled this: "Everybody else's white guitars!"
    I notice that quite a few have gold hardware, which looks pretty classy. I'm a fan of white guitars with black hardware and accents, in fact I replaced all the chrome hardware on the Ibanez with black, and took the pickups from the Hadron and put them in there, since they have black pole pieces! So the strings look cool, with nothing but black under them. I had bought some generic Sperzel-style locking tuners from the people who make dragonfire pickups, but they were really crappy so I took the Wilkinson tuners from the Hadron and put them on the Ibanez, after painting them black with nail polish...hey, it works, cut me some slack! For the bridge, I had to paint it too, I couldnt find a black version from Ibanez, even on a used guitar...not with the 2-point trem anyways... I used gloss black nail polish for the base plate, and flat black enamel for the saddles. Came out nice, and looks fantastic. I also modified it to a hardtail from a standard trem, I actually gutted the trem components and replaced the crappy pot-metal bridge block with a block of Alder, and installed string ferrules in the back of it and attached it to the baseplate of the tremolo bridge, in place of the bridge block....that was my one problem with this guitar, the trem worked great actually, but the guitar sounded like ass even after putting in pickups which I knew to sound good. Once I got rid of the bridge block, the pickups sound like they should. Here are some pics of the guitar, and of the mods I did to the bridge. I have to say that for $99 it was a steal, but still a good deal at the normal $250. It comes with good tuners, decent fret work, a tremolo that works really well, a nice neck, and even fully shielded inside with conductive shielding paint. Crap powersound pickups though, but other than that I think its one of the better guitars at this price point. I have it strung with SIT Power Groove Nickel 10's and tuned to Drop C.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I must say, your way of "blocking" the trem is quite nice. Maybe I'll do it to a floyd guitar sometime. Stability of hardtail, comfy of a floyd rose. Neat.

10. nicomortem

Thank You sir! Actually, it would be great to do this with a floyd, you can keep your fine tuners, and you don't have to worry about routing the strings thru the block because you'd still be locking them down in the saddles, so all it would take is screwing the base plate into the wood instead of the metal sustain block. Easy! Oh and in case You or anybody else is wondering, they sell this wood tremolo block on AllParts, its actually a fender part and comes with an attached piece of Alder to go where the springs belong. The block part that I used has to be sanded, ground, filed, whatever, to get it to fit unless youre putting it in a USA strat, then it drops right in. I had no problem getting it to wedge in there after a little bit of power sanding. I just wish that they, or some other company, would offer these in other tonewoods, like ash, mahogany, etc.

11. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

I only buy white or off-white guitars. I don't know why. Most of my clothes are white, gray, or black too, now that I think about it. I agree with the OP, though. White guitars with black or burned chrome accents are my jam.

12. nicomortem

Here is the bass I used on the video, the lowest priced of the new Toby Basses that get so much hate on here! To be fair, it is definitely no high-end bass, and I'm sure it has nothing on a "real" Tobias....but I could never afford one of those, I've always loved the body shape and headstock shape of Tobias since I was just a kid, and I think it's wonderful that they now offer an entry-level instrument. I am certainly not a beginner, but I like to collect guitars....a LOT of guitars, I would like to have one of every kind of guitar that interest me, and that could cost far more than I could ever afford. By collecting these cheap guitars, and fixing them up, I get to fulfill both my wish to collect, and my need to tinker on my instruments. I keep this thing tuned to Drop C, as a companion to my Ibanez. I put inlays at the 12th fret, and I plan on replacing the pickups. I always try to keep an open mind when it comes to stock pups, but these have poor balance across all the strings. The hardware is good, although I plan on replacing the bridge with something better, and the electronics on this one are cool, it has a bass cut and treble cut, which can be used as boost circuits if you turn them down, set your amps tone, and then use them to "boost" your lows and highs, all with a passive circuit! What I especially love about this bass is the finish, it has a nice thick clear coat which is rare for low-priced white guitars. The pics make it look kind of 0ff-white, but that's just the lighting in the room...the white on this bass is a simple, pure normal white with a nice thick glassy clear coat, and black hardware and trim...beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

Here's my entry to "everyone else's white guitars":lol:

[​IMG]

14. Metlupass2

Metlupass2 SS.org Regular

I LOVE white guitars.

Here's my Suhr Modern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Oh, were playing this game?
    [​IMG]

Its almost like I have a preference for white guitars with two humbuckers, no tone, and a volume pot far away from the bridge, or something
    :lol:

16. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

My TL60:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've always liked white guitars, but cheaper guitars in white look...well...cheap haha so naturally I went with white with my Carvin, which was my first higher end guitar.

17. haffner1

haffner1 SS.org Regular

I take issue with the racist undertones of this thread, so in the interest of diversity, I am adding a couple pictures of black guitars.

Trololololol.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. nicomortem

I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to play the race card!

19. nicomortem

Awesome tact, thanks!