My V-picks Review!

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I hope this will be useful for you! :)

I- INTRO

I always told everyone that a pick would be an asset for the tone, because it has an impact on the tone produced, depending on the models used.

For more than 15 years, I really considered this as a part of my tone. Thank’s to the internet, I discovered several brands or pick makers that weren’t as famous as the « standard » brands (Brossard picks, or Riki), and I had the opportunity to try new expériences.

My favourite pick was the standard shape, with a bit of flex (0.60/0.73mm).

I played mainly with celluloid picks (Fender but more recently Intune GP), and delrin picks (Dunlop Tortex and Intune GP), before discovering other non-standard materials : exotic woods, bone, horn (Timber Tones (advice : never buy from them), Brossard Picks, Picks’n’licks), Coin picks (Master Artisan picks), stone (Stoneworks Picks (incredible work), RealRock), Mother-of-Pearl and Abalone (Brossard Picks).

I really loved the design, the attention and the sound given, but I always found that these picks had compromises, due either to the shape (too small or big, and a kind of randomness because of the handmade product), or the comfort wasn’t that great (too thick for shred, or too abrasive for the strings). I switched back to standard picks until few weeks ago, when I found 2 acrylic picks that I ordered but barely played. When I played it, the GAS was here again… I decided to order few picks from different websites, and V-picks were among these orders.

The V-Picks company

https://v-picks.com/

I always heard about this brand without going further. I was fed up for some years with handmade picks for the reasons mentionned above.

When I wrote « acrylic guitar picks » on the web, V-picks was among the first websites found. I was curious about it and when I browse the page, I didn’t sleep directly « because of » the numerous attractive and different models available on the official site !

This company is held by Vinni & Nancy Smith. Vinni is a guitarist and make picks since 1980, before starting to sell his products in 2006 if I’m right. His first picks were plastic made, and then acrylic made. This choice for this material would came from his love for the aquariums, made in acrylic too. The V-picks are handmade, and by ONE person : Vinni himself ! I find this really interesting, to know that these are not mass produced in a factory in the middle of nowhere ! Just below the V-picks logo on the main page, we can read « Guitar Picks with Fat Tone, Secure Grip and Longevity ». Let’s see !

V-picks website

When browsing on the website, the picks are classified in different categories : small sizes, flexible picks, pointed picks, rounded picks, teardrop, quantity deals, accessories, signature picks, mandolin picks, guitar picks. On the « shipping » page, Vinni warns about delivery delays because of the covid. I was hesitating before making an order directly on the website because of this message, but ordering V-picks from European sellers costs more, so I bought directly on the V-picks website. The order was here in two WEEKS ! Nice !

I must insist on the quality on the description on each pick. There is a lot of detail on each model, with the dimensions. I even chose some picks only thank’s to the story behind !

In this order, I decided to try some picks I’d never play to be out of my comfort zone, so today I’m gonna review these ones :

Tradition Green, Tradition Red 3mm, Screamer, EKG, Gypsy, Joker, Jester, Big Fattie, Pearly Gates, Chubby Mummy, Bb (B flat). Let’s go !

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
II - REVIEWS

Samples available here :

https://soundcloud.com/reachthelight

Gear used for the reviews

- Skervesen Raptor 8 Strings [BKP Juggernauts+ World Domination Mod (split)]

- Fender Strat CS Black Paisley ’68 Relic

- Soundcard Line 6 Toneport UX1 (for the samples)

- Axe FX 2 XL+ / EHX 22 caliber (poweramp)

- Heavy Seas Vertical 2x12 cab (Celestion Neo-Creamback)

Big Fattie (15$), 5.85 mm – With a name like this…

5.85 mm !!! I didn’t know I would have in my hands a pick like this !

This model is in triangular shape, with smooth edges (and not rough like the models with the « Ghost Rim » finish). The Big Fattie is really beautiful, and looks like a piece of Agathe stone ! Like each V-pick, there is the logo engraved on it, but also the model of the pick, on the lower side. This can help for the grip, and can be felt on the index, and not the thumb.

The tips are rounded, and the model is almost similar to the Bb, but bigger.

The price is really correct according to me, there are 3 tips which you can use, and the durability and strenght of the acrylic allows you to play it for months, and years for sure !

This pick is the opposite of what I liked : triangular shape, bigger than the standard shape and extra thick ! And my friends, don’t judge too fast like I did, because let me tell you that this model is really great !

Ok, it takes some minutes to tame it and get used to it, but I barely played with these thicknesses. When you control it, this thing is incredible. I think the secret is in the edges, which are really progressive. You can be accurate despite the thickness of the Big Fattie ! Among all the picks received, this one is one of my favourites… Just awesome !

Sound : I really like it, because it makes the sound « crunch » more faster. The sound is fat but also really present. It adds so much to the sound, and it remains dynamic while playing relax ! Of course, we can play softly and add nuances, but we will hear the attack of the pick, due to it’s thickness. This doesn’t bother me, but it may disturb some guys.

The sound is not dark and remains clear, which is a point that I love with the Big Fattie. I often experimented a dark sound with thick picks, and this is why I did a break with some thick picks. I find the Bb model to be darker than the Big Fattie, which surprised me. I thought it would be the opposite when I compared both picks.

The tone is massive, and the progressive edges allows this « glide on the strings » effect. I can play without tension, and that’s why I play it each time I take my guitar. You can hold it and being relax, it won’t fall from your hand ! For sweeping parts, it’s really stable, comfortable and doesn’t take energy ! I love play this pick for arpeggios, and for a great dirty blues or rock lead ! Of course, you can use it for other musical styles, and I strongly advise you to try it !

Chubby Mummy (8,50$), 4mm – THE favourite one for me ! <3

While browsing on the website, this model caught my attention. It is really original and well built !

The shape is more or less the same than the Tradition, but thicker and with longer and rougher edges (« Ghost Rim » finish). I love the look of this finish, and with the transparent color, it brings a kind of aura (looks and tone !). Funny fact, hence the name, the Mummy model has carved lines in the center of the pick, which allows an INCREDIBLE grip ! The Mummy pick varies from one to another, because the number and orientation of the lines are never the same. They are handmade, and I love mine !

When I picked up the Mummy, the comfort is awesome. The pick is standard shaped, which is my favourite, and the fact that the edges are long and smooth makes it compact, despite the 4mm thick ! A beautiful jewel !

Sound : The Chubby Mummy boosts every frequencies and this makes it incredible ! Add a slight drive and you’ll see by yourself ! A lot of bite, a kind of aura in the sound, this is pure awesomeness. I think this one is my favourite. It’s hard for me to play really fast with this thickness but this is a minor point, if I compare it to the Screamer model. It adds so much more to your tone in terms of texture and sustain, it is really present and « in your face » ! Please try it and you’ll hear by yourself… Whatever kind of music you play, it is perfect. Arpeggios sounds great in clean and the lead enters in another dimension. I love it for the complex chords, especially in distortion where every note lives and rings !

For sweeping licks, it’s wonderful, and I forget the thickness because the grip allows it to stay stable. I would be curious to compare it with the « standard » Mummy model, which is the same, but thiner. My next order will contain some pieces of this unique model !

Last edited:

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Screamer (4.50$), 2.75mm – The scalpel !

Here we are ! What I thought since the beginning : triangular picks are big and made for bass, so not so comfortable. I tried triangular Tortex, and they were too large, and I couldn’t play them. Even when playing bass I stick to my standard shape picks. Let’s try the Screamer !

This pick is good looking, in his Sapphire Blue dress ! It is triangular-shpaed, and the logo and model are engraved on the top-side of the pick. The edges are smooth and visibles, as the Tradition model, but less big than the Mummy, Bb or Big Fattie. The 3 tips can be used as well, but on the Screamer, they are pointed and not rounded. The edges are really sharp, it almost cut ! :D A sign of accuracy ?

When I pick this model, the thoughts I had about triangular picks flew away !

The Screamer is compact, fits really well in the hand, and is correct in terms of thickness for someone like me not used to thick picks. In few minutes, the fast licks are perfect with it ! I was so impressed that I stop playing and while looking at the pick : « Oh man ! ». I did this several times ! Thank’s so much Vinni for making me wrong about my thoughts !

This pick is really nice and must be played before leaving Earth ! This is one of the models I play the most, my number 1 for shred and fast picking. Seriously, $4,50 for this litte bomb… For the price of a beer in a pub, you can make yourself this little present that will last you for years ! I will order more of this one, that’s for sure ! I’d like to have this model in smoke color, it would be really nice !

Sound : The sound is even more present and clear than the Chubby Mummy. The attack is more rounded, but the two models are different. So good ! The tone is accurate et well defined, soi t would fit perfectly for brit rock ! Not only for this kind of music, but it’s really balanced and nice ! A must-have, really versatile but with his own character. Extra !

Bb (7$), 4mm – A unique pick !

This one caught my attention just thank’s to his name ! There are two different models : the Bb (B flat) and B# (B sharp). I find this really original to give the name of a chord to a pick !

The shape is almost similar to the Big Fattie, but smaller, and with shorter edges. The feeling is different. In hand, it reminds me the Screamer model, and is really comfortable too !

This pick took time to get used to it, because the edges are shorter, so there is less space between fingers and strings, compared to the EKG or Tradition models. The shape of the B bis not the one I prefer, but I really like this pick, it took me time to drop it ! Playing with the Bb brings you in another dimension, it is really pleasant to hold and feel !

Sound : The sound is smooth, and darker than the Big Fattie. I thought it would be the opposite. Despite the thickness and the shorter edges, I really loved to play it in chords, especially for funky rythms. Really practical and nice to play, but depending on what you play, it can lack of dynamics and clarity for some « classic » rock. I would advise this model for jazz, funk, stoner, but feel free to experiment what you want !

Joker (4,50$), 1,5mm – A good start with acrylic picks

This one is a small pick, teardrop shaped, in a wonderful Smoke dress ! (Transparent black). I really enjoy this color as the intensity varies depending on the light ! This color can be useful for finding your pick if it falls ! One of my transparent V-picks fell on a carpet and it was hard to find it again.

The teardrop shape isn’t really the one I like the most, but the pick is pretty thin and allows me to be used to it easily. After playing the Big Fattie or the Bb, it really feels like a common pick ! I think the Joker can be good for the players who would like to try something else without loosing their landmarks, or without being shocked ! :D (me with the Big Fattie !)

Sound : I thought about what Vinni said « the bigger the pick, the bigger the tone ». I agree with this, because I find the Joker lacks of character. The tone is good, but it’s not what I prefer after trying the other models. I advise this model to those who like a transparent guitar tone. Ok for the tone with a drive, pretty cool. I really like the « plus » V-picks can add to your sound, so despite the comfort, this is not a model I would order again. I have to say that these are my personal tastes, and what I like could be the opposite for other players.

The attack of the pick is not too audible, which can be interesting for the players who doesn’t like the « chirp » that the acrylic can make (adjust the angle of your playing, and this will be better !). I like the Joker for rythm and it allows a wide strumming playing, which reminds me the kind of playing I have with standard picks !

Jester (7$), 3mm – A ride in the Galaxy ?

The Jester caught directly my attention when I opened up the magical letter containing the picks. The « Brown Galaxy » finish is unique, and each Jester is different ! Mine has wonderful gold reflections, brown ones, black ones but also purple, depending on the intensity of the light ! At the back of the side also appears gold sparkles, it’s really gorgeous ! Wonderful fragment of art !

The shape is exactly the same as the Joker, but thicker, so the sound will be different. The beveled edges are more pronounced than the Joker. I thought I would prefer the Joker but it is the opposite despite the bigger thickness ! After playing the Joker, I spent few minutes trying the Jester before playing another model. I was a bit deceived by the small sizes of these 2 picks at first. When I see this gorgeous pick in this beautiful finish, I decided to give another try to the Jester, and I really discovered it ! I couldn’t drop this pick… Another lesson for me : « Don’t judge a book by his cover ! »

Sound : You can compare the different samples I made on my soundcloud, which is better than reading my words I guess ! Please have listen at this incredible crunchy but clear tone on the rythm part called « Funk Accords ». The sound is incredibly good and the attack gives a boost to the tone but is not that hearable compared to other models. The notes are really present, that’s so tasty ! For a funky rythms, it will be really nice with this unique attack ! I’ll keep forever this wonderful little piece came from another planet, and I’ll certainly order another one !

Last edited:

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Pearly Gates (5$), 2,75mm – A strange pick !

The Pearly Gates is a triangular shaped pick, with rounded edges and « flat », without beveled edges really pronounced as the Bb or Big Fattie. The shape is similar to the Bb, but when we put together the two models, the Pearly is a bit larger. The finish looks like mother-of-pearl, or clouds caught in the pick ! Not bad, even if I tend to prefer transparent picks, colored or not !

I’m not really used to the ergonomics of this model, despite the thin thickness. It is as large as the Screamer, but the « sides » of the pick are not straight but slightly curved, so the shred parts are harder to play with it (for me).

Sound : This pick needs a particular angle to play to have a clear attack. The sound is unique with this pick, because there is a kind of enveloppe produced while picking, which gives a strange sound but unique. If you play smooth, the sound will be really dark and a bit « erased », so you need to have a good attack to hear the « true » tone of the Pearly Gates. It’s everything or nothing !

I find a bit hard to play nuances with this pick, but it’s also interesting because it allows the player to make great sound effects. It’s not easy to get used to this pick and the aura produced on the tone ! I don’t really know for what musical kind this Pearly Gate could be suited, but you are welcome to create your own universe with it !

Gypsy (5$), 1,5mm – The pick reimagined !

The Gypsy reminds me the coins used as picks, or some circle-shaped guitar picks used by jazz players. I saw brands like Ibanez selling this shape of picks few years ago. It reminded me the standard-shaped celluloid picks I used until they were totally destroyed and round. I liked thèses picks because the round edge made the fast-picking easier. The Gypsy is in Sapphire Blue, and 1,5mm thick.

At first, this pick is hard to get used to, because the largest point on the pick is the middle, and not the upper side of the pick. For me, it’s not easy to be accurate because of the shape. I supose that if you played for years with this shape, it’s a matter of habits !

Sound : The shape of the Gypsy is an asset for the tone ! It really gives a surprising sound thank’s to the attack produced. It is unique, which can be an asset or not, depending of the kind of music you play and the « role » (lead or rythm). If you play rythm in a funk band, this pick won’t be really suited, because the attack can be heard and may disturb some players. If you play rock or metal rythm parts, it can be correct. Of course, the gear and instruments you use will differ from the ones I used. I advise this pick for leads, whatever kind of music you play, it’s excellent ! Please judge by yourself and listen on SoundCloud the sample « Melodie Pickups » !

EKG (5$), 1,5mm – The Heart-Breaker

When I came on the description of this plectrum, it broke my heart. Vinni had a heart attack few years ago, and the creation of the EKG was inspired by the different machines in his hospital room. Vinni wished to create this new model in memory of this « event ». I find touching the sentence he puts on the page : « Not really sure why God chose not to take me yet, but I am working on finding out. »

The EKG has a shape which is a blend of the Big Fattie (but smaller) and the Tradition. The tip is longer and the edges larger. This model is available in Sapphire Blue. The logo of the brand, model as well as an « heart pulse » are engraved on the upper side of the EKG. When I held the pick for the first time, it reminded me the Screamer (for the upper edges), but with a thinner thickness. Other example : the EKG i a blend of the standard-shaped pick and a standard bass pick. It is flat and not rounded.

The confort is really really nice, even if the shape differ from other models, because the tip is a bit longer. For me this is an asset, I love it !

Sound : I think you can hear the sample called « Melodie Pickups », where I play the same pattern with the 5 positions of pickups, on my Fender Strat. Pure magic ! Notes are ringing as if sustain was added ! This model will be in my next order too. Plus, it reminds me a standard pick with its 1,5mm thickness. I think I’d advise you the EKG more than the Joker if you never tried acrylic picks and if you wish to discover these wonderful picks ! The feeling and comfort of the EKG are out of this world !

Last edited:

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Tradition Green (5$), 2,70mm – Back to basics ?

The Tradition, hence its name, is a reinterpretation of the most famous shape of picks, which always was my favourite, in terms of aesthetics and comfort, until now, where the discovery of V-picks changed a lot of things !

Here is the classic pick, reimagined by Vinni. The finish is in Green acrylic, pretty cool and uncommon !

It’s standard-shaped, with the « wingd » of the pick a bit wide than a standard model. The beveled edges are progressive but pronounced, so the feeling won’t be the same than « normal » one. I thought the Tradition models would be my favourite among all the V-picks models, but it’s almost the opposite, as I find them a bit wide for my hands. The thicknesses with this shape makes it hard to control for me, so it’s not easy to play songs that requires speed.

Sound : The Tradition Green is unique, because it has a very dark attack that other models doesn’t have. The sound is pretty dark but also dry. It’s not « slobbery » and dirty as the Big Fattie or the Tradition Red. It’s pretty surprising, because when I tried it, I stopped playing to check the EQ, but this uncommon sound came from the pick ! I can say that this pick will fit perfectly jazz amateurs of professionals ! With a good gear, this pick will offer you a little + on your sound, that’s for sure ! Obviously, you can play whatever you want to try with it !

Tradition Red (10$), 3mm – The Tradition « Hot Rod » !

This model of the Tradition series is slightly thicker than the others, and with the edges finished by hand (flamed if I’m right). It’s wonderful with its Red Swirl finish, it has different shades of red, more or less dark, and sometimes transparents, sometimes solid-colored ! I wonder if its made from the same fragment which is used for the Infinity Series.

It is wider than the Green, when we stick the two models together, the Red is bigger. When holding the two models, they are pretty similar. So,with a difference of .30mm, are they the same in terms of sound ?

Sound : If I had to describe this model with one word, I’d choose : generous. The sound is full, rich and fat ! Pure awesomeness ! It offers a real contrast with the Tradition Green, which is thinner but darker, and dry. Once again, I’d thought itw as the opposite, due to thicknesses ! The Red is clearer, but also dirty due to the fat tone. This is a really good point, and you can play with dynamics and clarity with it ! It’s really surprising !

Last edited:

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
III – CONCLUSION

You have been able to read, hear and see that these V-Picks are unique, and each model has an impact on the tone. The same goes for the thicknesses and shapes which differs from a pick to another. The comfort is really different according to your habits.

This is what I like with guitar picks. I will use some more than others, thank’s to what they can bring to us. I’ll play some of them for speed, comfort or accuracy, and some others for the sound they can produce.

Thank’s so much Vinni, without a word, you’ve been able to teach me lessons, and I was wrong on a lot of points !

Why the choice of acrylic material and thicker picks ? I could play again with my stone, bone, abalone picks, etc, but I chose acrylic because the material is wear resistant ! The picks are really solid, and I guess they can last for months but also years. I can’t stress enough to try them by yourself by just ordering a Screamer model for example : resistant, not to thin/thick, triangular-shaped with 3 same tips, which allows you to change the side of the pick when a tip is worn (but even rounded, I guess this Screamer can offer more !). I let you imagine the hours of playing with the Big Fattie before it starts to wear…

The sound is impressive and differs from a model to another. Acrylic offers a full tone, rich tone, and boosts some frequencies. Despite the important thickness of some V-Picks, acrylic seems to be nice with strings, and not abrasive, which can be interesting too, if you play a lot of gigs !

What about the promises we can read on the V-picks website ? Here we go :

- Fat tone : No problem, whatever kind of sound you are searching for, I’m sure you’ll find the right model for you ! It’s hard to be disappointed with the variety of models the brand offers !

- Secure grip : Ok with this point ! These picks, due to the acrylic material and ergonomics are just too good to play with ! Even during summer, the grip is efficient, and doesn’t slip at all, it is really stable !

- Longevity : I’m curious about the number of months of even years these picks can last. They are incredibly robusts, and doesn’t wear fast at all ! Before destroying just one, I guess it’ll take a certain amount of time !

Promises kept, congrats !

What about the price of a guitar pick ? Everything is said, I bet some people will be hesitant to spend this price for a pick, but they would neglect what this incredible tool can offer. You can do whatever you want, but ignoring this experience would be a mistake !

Each pick is a journey in soundscapes, by their shapes, comfort and texture they give. I didn’t had the opportunity to try every V-pick model, but that’s for sure : V-picks has one model for you !

mongey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I own a bunch of different v picks. I like how allot them feel. But the chirp.!!! Once you hear it , you can’t un hear it unfortunately

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
I know what you speak about :)
It depends of the model honestly, I know on the Big Fattie it can be heard, but the sound is so good my God!! :)

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I own a bunch of different v picks. I like how allot them feel. But the chirp.!!! Once you hear it , you can’t un hear it unfortunately

Yea, I had V-picks and had the chirp. I switched to Winspear's stuff. He has a pick that's a signature for some artist and it has a nice textured grip, good point, and no chirp.

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
I have some Gravity picks I really love, but I find the sound more neutral...
It's very clear and well defined even in distortion! Really awesome, but I really love the character V-picks have!

olejason

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like Gravity picks but wish they came in a few more sizes/shapes. Lately I've been enjoying the Primetone 5mm picks. Not as chirpy as the clear acrylic stuff. They're really good on gypsy jazz guitars.

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
I never had the opportunity to try the Primetones, but I'd like to!
Same goes for the Blue Chip picks! Maybe a day ;)

mongey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea, I had V-picks and had the chirp. I switched to Winspear's stuff. He has a pick that's a signature for some artist and it has a nice textured grip, good point, and no chirp.
yeah

truth be told on my desk I haver a bowl full of fancy picks. v picks, winspear and some others

and sitting on my desk I have 5 green dunlop tortex picks which I use for everything

SSK0909

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice write up. Thumbs up for the effort :)

I used to play V picks a lot. But I found that in blind recording tests, I could not hear any significant tonal change, it was mostly in my head, as these things typically are :D
So I switched to Dunlop Ultex 2.0, since they are far cheaper and still give me kinda the same feel as a v pick screamer. Plus no more chirping!

I also found that V picks get totally destroyed by pick slides. They quickly carve into them, so avoid that unless you have a million dollar pick budget :D

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice writeup. I have some old V-picks with no labels on them that are roughly similar to the Big Fattie and Screamer. I think I may have gotten them for free from somewhere, it's been years. The Big Fattie shaped one is pretty much unusable to me and the Screamer would be good if it wasn't so freakin' thick. So no go for me.

But picks are probably the most subjective thing in guitar. I hate the Jazz IIIs that many love and my go-tos for years have been the Dunlop Gator Grip and Ultex picks around 1.14-1.5mm thickness. My favorite used to be the Fender Heavy and Extra Heavy but they changed OEM or composition of them and they were no longer as good, the new ones were less rigid.

Just went through my small collection of picks and figured that I should probably buy some new ones, a lot of well worn ones in there.

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been on the plain tortex pics since about 2002. I have tried a handful of others over the years but always come back to them. Although Satueday I ordered some of the tortex flows im gonna try out tomorrow.

Latest posts