My Ibanez S8QM-TGB NGD Review and Mods

UnstableinLINY

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got my new axe last week but I waited to post up until I finished all the modifications and made a video review/modification timeline.

Here is the youtube review:

A40.jpg

A41.jpg

A43.jpg

A42.jpg

Well there she is!

Model:
Ibanez S8QM-TGB

Mods:

Shielded wiring
Copper Shielding
Custom Pickup Covers
Bill Lawrence L-705 Pickup
Filed Tuning Shaft (86GA Circle K Low E String)
Space Invader Inlay Stickers (yeah yeah)

:shred:

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Ha! Love the Space Invader stickers! Congrats on the new axe and nice job with the mods!

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Call me crazy but while I don't like pickup rings,these make a nice contrast and go well with the inlays!Nice mods buddy looks cool

UnstableinLINY

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Two weeks in and I am still loving this guitar. I don't know if it is just me but I a) am really getting a feel for the extra low string & b) notice that the thumb over the top is something I am dong a lot less.

Empryrean

Constantly Gassing
Reaction score
Wha! I really love what you did with your inlays, I did something similar with my guitar as well :wub:

CrashRG

I'm Back Bitches!
Reaction score
Very nice man! Just got the chance to play an S8 at Guitar Center yesterday......I wish they would have put those stock pickups from the S8 in the RG8, which leads my broke ass to ask what you did with your stock bridge and if you'd like to part with it? lol

UnstableinLINY

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Very nice man! Just got the chance to play an S8 at Guitar Center yesterday......I wish they would have put those stock pickups from the S8 in the RG8, which leads my broke ass to ask what you did with your stock bridge and if you'd like to part with it? lol

It's a goner. In order to mockup the profile on the Bill Lawrence and cut off the excess plastic to allow it to fit, I had to destroy the base plate.

Hindsite I wish I would have used paper but I wanted to be 100% certain I had the exact spacing and profile. Other wise I risked loosing 100 bucks on the new pickup.

TO be honest I think you are better off saving a couple bucks and getting a Deathbar by Lace. If I didn't brave this mod and put in the work I would have went with that instead. The BL was a gamble but paid off.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Sweet! I've been suffering GAS for my first 8-string for a while now and have been thinking about either this or cheaping out on a RG8, and you're not helping me make good choices with my money!

Glad that your mods turned out well, it sounds nice and the whole look of it with the covers, stickers and the bar pickup is awesome!

VHNGD!

CrashRG

I'm Back Bitches!
Reaction score
It's a goner. In order to mockup the profile on the Bill Lawrence and cut off the excess plastic to allow it to fit, I had to destroy the base plate.

Hindsite I wish I would have used paper but I wanted to be 100% certain I had the exact spacing and profile. Other wise I risked loosing 100 bucks on the new pickup.

TO be honest I think you are better off saving a couple bucks and getting a Deathbar by Lace. If I didn't brave this mod and put in the work I would have went with that instead. The BL was a gamble but paid off.

It's all good man! Glad it worked out for you though! I'd play my RG8 more but the stocks just lack EVERYTHING considering Ibanez cheaped out and used ....ing bass pickups on it.:nuts: