My first build progress thread. Headless, pine six string.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by sezna, Oct 17, 2013.

1. sezna

sezna undermotivated Contributor

WARNING: THIS IS NOWHERE NEAR AS EPIC AS ALMOST EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS FORUM. IF YOU WANTED EPIC, TURN AROUND NOW.:rolleyes:

any and all advice is accepted and loved

So, as my first build, I didn't wanna spend a lot of money on expensive wood and hardware. I figured it should be mostly be a learning experience, not necessarily for the quality of the guitar. So keep that in mind.

I'm not out of high school yet, so lots of help from my dad on this one.
    Total money spent: ~$80. $30 for a cheapo used Hamer Slamer. A strat knockoff. I used this to get various hardware parts like the strap screws, a pickup, the pots, etc. I also am using the neck from it, because building a neck...it is intimidating, to say the least. I cut the headstock off of the neck, and am putting the tuners at the bottom of the body.

$0 for scrap pine. The body is made out of pine, and I designed it to be as minimalist and small as possible, while still having room for a 25" scale, a pickup, the bridge, and the tuners.

$15 for the locking nut that will be going on the top of the headless neck

$15 for the dyes.

$20 for the bridge, which has not arrived yet. It is a GraphTech Reso Max bridge.

Already had tung oil.

This build has been awfully fun. The finish looks better than I had hoped, and it hasn't even been oiled yet. I probably should have started this thread when I was starting, but ehhhhh. I am now almost done, just waiting for the bridge to come in and to assemble it.

I pray that the expert luthiers here are not too harsh :yesway: time for pics of my progress so far.

The guitar I stole parts from:
    [​IMG]

Pine board with neck and plans drawn
    [​IMG]

body cut out and routed (freehand, didn't use any jigs for the whole project) with the pickup resting in place to make sure it fits. [​IMG]
    tuning pegs and my other horrid freehand route:
    [​IMG]

applying black stain: [​IMG]
    sanded black dye down a bit and added turquoise dye:
    [​IMG]
    another view of the pegs, before we dyed:
    [​IMG]

location of the jack: [​IMG]

You may notice the body is also all straight lines...I don't have a bandsaw so...heh. Made it easy on myself.

Datura likes this.
  2. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

I'm actually sorta intrigued...

3. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Ha! Looks like a fun build! Subbed for updates! :yesway:

4. sezna

FINALLY getting around to finishing this. Got the neck in today, doing the bridge and the first string-up tomorrow. After that it's just the electronics and she's all done! Then I can start on my bass project that's been sitting in my closet for a year...

glamor shots will come tomorrow or monday when it is daytime!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

So, I'm not trying to be negative, and maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like some of your strings won't be on the neck.

I see that you're going to put a TOM style bridge on there, I'm just wondering how you'll keep the strings seated in the grooves on the saddle.

[​IMG]

6. sezna

Thanks for taking the time to put that picture together! Actually, I there are two factors remedying your observation:

One is that the picture was taken from an angle so those straight lines are actually not quite as out as the strings will be in real life, but even if they were, I have some little string things that look kinda like this: [​IMG] (they aren't the exact same product...but anyway) I will be using those to sort of "guide" the strings into the TOM.

7. odibrom

odibrom .

Where's the bridge there? If that would be the final result, how would the intonation be? I mean, that's a hell of an angle at the bridge, but there's no fanned fret anywhere... Please don't rush to conclusions before posting.

8. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

9. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

That's the tailpiece. Pretty sure Op is just going to use a bridge directly to the tuning pegs.

10. Prophetable

You didn't actually read the text next to the picture when I posted it, did you?

11. Prophetable

He didn't mention a tailpiece in his initial post, only the bridge. Also, he has since said he was using headstock string trees. So, your guesses are a little late, I think.

12. sezna

Indeed, the guesses are late. I did not order a tailpiece, although in hindsight, perhaps that would have been helpful. Ah well, my goal for this build is just to finish it. To proudly be able to say "I built a guitar"*!

*I did not build the neck.

The neck is currently clamped and the glue is drying. I ended up gluing the neck because I was having some stability issues on the side of the neck pocket - that is, one side was a little broken and getting pushed out when the neck was inserted. The gluing should fix that. Also, I'm too lazy to drill more holes. I have realized from this build that I should drill all of the holes before applying the finish... ah well.

13. odibrom

odibrom .

I thought i did, my apologies, dear sir...