My first attempt at making a usable SD 2.0 tone, let me know what you think please

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by that short guy, Mar 29, 2015.

1. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

It's just a short clip but let me know what you think. I'm still trying to figure out the program but I think this isn't too terrible as my first attempt. I just used the stock avatar kit.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/i_get_bored/sd20-test[/SC]

2. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

Sounds very solid for your first attempt. I would pick up either Metal Machine or Made of Metal for the kicks, since the Avatar kicks are barely usable for metal. Other than that, try using a subharmonic enhancer like the Waves Rbass or MaxxBass to fill out your kick lows- it really gives you a solid foundation so the kick will be heard more easily, which in turn will allow you to relax with boosting the highs, which can get fatiguing on the ears after a while.

And definitely try out the different room mics- I usually blend a small amount of the close mic with more of the medium and even more of the far, EQ out the wooly low-mids and clunk with about a 5 db scoop, then run it into an 1176 and destroy the living .... out of it- ~150 ms release, ~1500 microsecond attack, all-in or 20:1 ratio, with 10-15 db of gain reduction - and then bring it up until the drums sound beefy. Only send the snare and maybe toms there, because anything else will get muddy. Cheers!

edit: this isolated track from a Sneap Devildriver mix will show you how loud the room (and reverb if you have it- I usually do 75% room, 25% verb, with the verb a short plate to fill out the room's long decay time) track should be:

3. cakejetski

cakejetski SS.org Regular

It sounds pretty good for a first attempt. Try lowering the kick level a bit, and reduce some of that click somewhere between 3k-5k. Overheads sound a bit too loud, so try dropping those a bit as well.

4. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

Why is the kick panned to left? It's a very bad idea.

5. PlumbTheDerps

It's a stem from the Rock Band games. Someone probably screwed up the panning during the file conversion process. The original album is pretty famous and does not sound like that :lol:

6. Narrillnezzurh

Narrillnezzurh Sir Clipsalot

What makes you say that?

7. PlumbTheDerps

They weren't recorded with the genre in mind and don't sound very good for it? You can use the Avatar kicks if you like them I guess, but I know of nobody with any real production knowledge who does. The Made of Metal kicks are similarly raw but sound a lot better.

8. df88

df88 Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned NY Avatar kicks being not so good for metaL. The "guillotine" preset is pretty solid. You can start from that if you still want to try using avatar kicks.

9. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

Before anyone else tries to get overly sensitive. The kit was designed as an all rounder. Granted the Metal Foundry SDX was made for the purpose of the heavy genre, however, the Avatar can be very good for metal in my opinion. Bulb used it a lot for Periphery's early stuff I believe.

10. deathbyguitar

deathbyguitar SS.org Regular

The entire 1st Periphery album was Avatar, although the kick was blended with a kick from either Drumkit from Hell or Drumkit From Hell Superior. Can't remember which.

A lot of Cloudkicker albums use Avatar (Beacons, most notably), as does Veil Of Maya's Eclipse album. Chances are that Eclipse probably had a blended kick in there as Misha also produced that album, but Beacons sounds pretty stock to me.

11. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Misha has said that the P1 kick was a mix of the Superior Drummer 1 and the Superior Drummer 2 kick. I assume he meant avatar, you can check his ask.fm for verification.

12. niffnoff

I knew they sampled alot of the kit, didn't know they used the whole thing on that album.

13. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Yeah I'm pretty sure Matt played a Roland TD-20 that triggered sounds from Superior for P1. It's technically Matt's performance on P1 but no real drums were used.

14. niffnoff

Gotcha :)